The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Battery specifications

3 posters

Go down

Battery specifications Empty Battery specifications

Post by caroline70 Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:29 pm

Hi, this is Caroline's Dad (Chief Mechanic). The leisure battery has apparently given up the ghost. It registers 0 volts with my meter so I assume that it has an internal short circuit and needs replacing. I also found that the 30 amp fuse between the relay and the leisure battery had blown. When we first purchased the van this same fuse had blown and the leisure battery wasn't charging, but after replacing the fuse all seemed OK. Maybe the battery was on it's way out then. According to the Autosleeper owners manual that we obtained the main battery is 66 amp/hr. I thought I read somewhere that the leisure battery should be similar. Does anyone have the specifications for these batteries as our local garage said that the main battery was the wrong physical size? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Colin
caroline70
caroline70

Female

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Battery specifications Empty Re: Battery specifications

Post by Peter Brown Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:27 pm

Hi Colin

Did you measure the voltage at the battery terminals with them disconnected? If you did and are certain your meter is ok then there has been a disastrous failure of the battery - I've never known one to read 0v.

I'm not familiar with the location of the leisure battery in the Trident but you can install one that is of as large a capacity as will physically fit but before you do so check for short circuit/current drain and other faults as normal use will not blow that fuse.

Check with VW for the recommended capacity of the vehicle battery, again as long as it is securely fixed the physical size is irrelevant.

Peter

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi there,

I agree with Peter - very rare to have absolute zero on voltage.

We us a 65Ah lead-acid Bosch battery from Halfords. It has been A1 since purchase about two years ago.

The secret with any lead-acid battery is to NEVER let it drop below 10.4V and it will last for many years.

Hope this helps. allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:21 pm

Hi Colin (Caroline's Dad)
I'm pretty sure you main engine battery should be 63A/hr approx 600A cranking current. To be 100% sure contact a VW main dealer for the specification.

I'm assuming for a 94 2.4 T4, both Engine & Leisure batteries sit side by side in the engine compartment? If so it's a tight fit and I think the original leisure battery was probably around 68A/hr, but physical size is crucial. In this set up A/S have fitted a ply wooden base to take both batteries. If you do need to change them, its worth checking the condition of this base and remaking, as they have a tendancy to rot.

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by caroline70 Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:25 am

Thanks for the info. Colin
caroline70
caroline70

Female

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident