The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cracks in GRP

+2
skyrakes
Joe janssis
6 posters

Go down

Cracks in GRP Empty Cracks in GRP

Post by Joe janssis Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:52 pm

A mysterious crack has appeared on the nearside rear top corner of my less than 12 month old Broadway, just aft of the canopy and below the curve of the roof.  It can best be described as being similar to a paint blister of about 25mm in diameter that has risen and split into three distinct cracks. The vehicle has not been in contact with anything and there is no sign of any impact damage, not even a scratch.  Has anyone come across this type of problem?

I have reported it to Marquis Motor homes and they are submitting it as a warranty claim, although it remains to be seen if it will be accepted as such.  After 40 years of owning caravans I've never seen this type of unexplained damage before.  If anyone can shed any light on it I would be grateful.

Many thanks - Joe Janssis
Joe janssis
Joe janssis

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : BroadwayEB

Back to top Go down

Cracks in GRP Empty Re: Cracks in GRP

Post by skyrakes Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Hi

I had a similar problem with our Nuevo. Top near side at the rear. It was a split about 75mm long. Got it repaired under warranty.

What a surprise I had when I saw the repair in progress. At least 300mm length by 50mm wide material removed and re-built.

All seem ok now.

The body shop man told me that the resin may have moved which caused the crack.
skyrakes
skyrakes

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe janssis Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks Skyrakes, reassuring to know I'm not the first, it gives me hope my problem will be sorted out under warranty - although I wish it hadn't happend in the first place!

regards - Joe Janssis
Joe janssis
Joe janssis

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by raymondo Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:02 am

I am used to boats and was shocked at the standard of glass work both on my Nuevo and my previous van.
My Nuevo has bubbles in the gel coat, blistering in the gel coat and stress cracks around all the locker door locks. Nothing major or structural but a boat builder simply wouldnt get away with it.
Its long out of warranty and the faults arent worth fixing but at the same time they shouldnt be there
raymondo
raymondo

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : nuevo ek

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:32 am

In all probabilty its crazing rather than cracks, it needs sorting if the van is new but dont think of it as a crack.   IMO the thickness (actualy measured) of the current/recent vans is nowhere near that of the older vans and particular a fraction of the thickness of the monocoques
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by skyrakes Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:13 am

Thats what I thought a crazy mark. I then had a look through a magnifying glass and it was a crack. Not right through (As the bodyshop man told me) but still a crack. Small crack today little bigger next week and before you know it out of warranty.

Get it repaired.

Question. The company that did mine was in Blackpool near the official dealer where i bought mu MH from. Brilliant set up and very professional. They had the mh for a week
skyrakes
skyrakes

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Joe janssis Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:21 pm

I am interested to read your various comments.  I do understand what Roli is referring to, but my cracks (sounds like one-upmanship) are not simply on the surface they are deep and possibly due in part to the gradual reduction in thickness you refer to.   Unlike Raymondo I have no experience of boats, but I’ve had many caravans over the last 45 years and have always felt that the industry needs to up its game in terms of both customer service and quality; We would not accept it in a £15K car so why should we be expected to accept it in a £50K motor home.  Having got that of my chest, I am happy with the overall quality of my first MH – a few niggles for another post- and on this occasion both Marquis and Autosleepers have risen to the occasion.  Marquis were very quick to respond and are arranging for my van to be returned to the factory for 3-5 days; Great, apart from the time and cost of travel and the not inconsiderable inconvenience – C’est La Vie!

Joe Janssis
Joe janssis
Joe janssis

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:46 pm

I submitted a warranty claim this week for cracks in the GRP on the roof....initially AS have rejected the claim!
In their view it’s caused by collision or impact, I have contested this assumption and since I have sent them my photo of the faults, they are reviewing the decision, it’s less than 12 months old!

Ray

Cracks in GRP 99241110
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:14 pm

That is awful, I have heat ripples in my black grp ( Broadway EB 2014) but nothing like that! As for AS suggesting collision or impact, where are the scratches and dents associated with that sort of damage?  Good luck with the claim. We had oversized securing screws coming through the black grp round the window over the cab area. This was dealt with by AS under warranty a few years ago and the area resprayed Black. All ok but you can see where the gloss paint starts and finishes especially when the black grp loses its shine which is every 5 to 6 weeks! So so shoddy!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Libraryman2 Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks for your support,  think that the photo says it all really...there are no witness marks, scuffs or other indications of an impact or collision.
I’ve talked to Theo claims mediator at AS and it’s because I sent this photo that he is reviewing the rejection.
In my view it’s a simple stress issue! Root cause may be attributable to the way the grp was fitted...it’s clear that it’s fairly localised!

I’m hoping for a decision this week, maybe they will feel it necessary to visit me and offer an expert opinion?

Ray
Libraryman2
Libraryman2

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down