The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto water pump

5 posters

Go down

Duetto water pump Empty Duetto water pump

Post by Geoff Sleath Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:43 pm

The water pump in our Duetto has always operated intermittently when no water has been demanded via any of the taps.  It's worse when the tank isn't brim full.  We've managed simply by switching off the power on the panel.  Obviously the system pressure is falling for some reason but there don't seem to be any obvious leaks. 

The pump is a Surflo 208-110-41.  As a reward for allowing me to buy a new radio control transmitter for my model aeroplanes my wife is insisting I cure the pump problem :)  I think I'm going to have to replace the pump but this model is no longer available.  Would this one be a suitable replacement?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

thanks in anticipation

Geoff
Geoff Sleath
Geoff Sleath

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Duetto water pump Empty Re: Duetto water pump

Post by Dutto Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:14 pm

Whoa there!!!

Let's not be spending any money until the problem is resolved as being a pump problem!

The pumps stops on activation of a "pressure switch". When the pressure gets high then the pumps stops and then re-starts when the pressure falls.

Intermittent running of the pump at night can be due to (in order of probability):

1. Hot water contracting.

2. A non-return valve leaking and releasing discharge pressure.

3. A very small leak in the system.

4. A leak in the bladder of an expansion tank.

IT IS ALMOST NEVER DOWN TO A PROBLEM THAT NEEDS A NEW PUMP!tap_fingers 

Hope this helps.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Geoff Sleath Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:33 pm

Thanks Dutto.  I must admit that thought had crossed my mind as well.  It's just that I can't see any evidence of leaks anywhere and we very rarely use the hot water system except when we use the shower (we DO shower but often using site facilities :) ).  Plus, the thought of pulling the whole van apart looking for leaks in inaccessible places horrifies me more than a simple pump replacement.

It doesn't help that it doesn't bother me much. I don't mind switching off the power to the pump when we're not using it.  My wife thinks differently however ... and I wanted that new toy.

Geoff
Geoff Sleath
Geoff Sleath

Male

Member Age : 84

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:45 pm

You may find this thread re-assuring  ........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:16 am

Geoff,

PS I forgot to mention THE most obvious cause of intermittent pump activation; a dripping tap. (Especially the one that is in the shower room and therefore can't be seen or heard.)

Just two thoughts:

1) What will you do when you find that a new pump hasn't cured the problem?Whistle1 Whistle1 

2) It takes about fifteen minutes to change out the pump diaphragm (the only pump related cause) and costs about 5% compared to a new pump!

Finally, my pump is coming up fifteen years old so when you get your new toy I can easily find a use for your old one!allthumbz allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:30 am

Go to agree there - in all the vans I've owned I've never had a pump fail. I did a diaphragm change on the pump in my last van, but it was unneccesary (i.e. it didn't cure the problem I thought I had!).

One further cause of intermittent running on is that when you drive the van with an only partially full tank, occasional hard cornering can expose the outlet pipe, allowing small amounts of air into it. This then gets pumped into the system, and results in small airlocks. They eventually work their way out (usually), but while in there the compressible air is much more prone to expanding/contracting as things heat up and cool down, and this can cause small pressure drops which make the pump run for a short while.

If it's otherwise working Ok, I'd just leave it (and try to remember to turn it off at night...)
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Had a similar problem recently in my Exectutive. The pump kept on churning over ever 5 or 10 minutes or so with out warning or any just cause. Or so we thought !
Turned out to be the dump valve, which is located under the side sofa, had the awning poles "resting" on top of the yellow handle.

Although not enough pressure to open the valve and dump water to the ground, it was enough to brake the pressurised system, causing the pump to re-charge itself .

We now have a plastic box inverted over the dump valve, to stop anything else being in contact with the valve.

It might be worth a quick look to make sure your valve is ok,  Geoff?

Super Donator & ASOF Supporter
Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Nice one Dago!wave 

Always like it when a bit of detective work produces results!! Well done!allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down