The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Which Awnings/Symbol - Newer Shape

+2
SoSymbol
journeyman
6 posters

Go down

Which Awnings/Symbol - Newer Shape Empty Which Awnings/Symbol - Newer Shape

Post by journeyman Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:55 pm

We've been looking at various options for a Drive-away Awning for our Symbol. Having been on the road since the 25th July, having the option to add to our living space would be really useful. We have a Fiamma 45s Awning already fitted, so would utilise the awning channel to connect to the van. We don't really need to driveaway, but do need the product to be robust in a strong wind, so I suppose that discounts the Safari Room variety that Fiamma produce. I would be petrified of damaging the van if the wind picked up.

For us the holy grail is the Kyham Motordome 780. Which is coming in at around £400. I just want to check if members are aware of any cheaper alternatives that actually can compete with the Kyham? We did have a 780 plus, supplied with the vehicle, but that was way to big for just the two of us, so we sold it to another forum member.

The Ground - Awning height is around 260cm, so I suppose anyone who has an awning fitted to a similar sized van will have a valid suggestion.

I would be interested in what other members use, especially if its a bit unusual.

Many Thanks

Jmn

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol 2008

Back to top Go down

Which Awnings/Symbol - Newer Shape Empty Re: Which Awnings/Symbol - Newer Shape

Post by SoSymbol Thu May 22, 2014 10:24 pm

For my 1999 symbol I have just purchased an Airbeam awning to fit on my Fiamma.  Really easy to put up and down...takes longer to peg than inflate.

I'd used a Move-lite before but it was difficult to erect by myself.
SoSymbol
SoSymbol

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Viv Wed May 28, 2014 3:28 pm

I have bought an ex-display Movelite-S. Tried it for the first time in the garden prior to our planned trip to Dunbar on 2nd June.
Hubs is partially disabled and couldn't wrestle with it, so it was, as usual, down to me, with HIM giving instructions from the top of the decking.
(He nearly got a pole rammed down his throat)! gettinwrong 
Anyway, I spread it out, threaded the elastic jointed poles through the cross seams and put the pins in the bottom of the poles at all four corners.
It more or less stood up by itself then. Then came the part that drives hubby daft. The pegging down.
Every seam, every side, every corner has to be perfect. It took some pegging because there are loads of pegging points. Suits me thank you very much. The more pegging points, the better the seal!
I must admit, I was fit for nothing after it was up. (Being 65 didn't help)! But it looks amazing, massive and sturdy with the copious amounts of guy ropes and thick straps for heavy weather. topmarks 

It cost £180. They aren't much dearer new, so I'd call that a bargain.
I made hubby buy the kit that attaches the cowl to the Fiamma and I'm confident that I can manage it even better now I've had a practice.
Raring to go to Dunbar now! wellhappy

Female

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman Wed May 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Like SoSymbol, I eventually plumped for the Airbeam. Good bit of kit, but pricey.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Wed May 28, 2014 7:32 pm

Worth getting a kyham. A few weekends ago at badminton horse trials we had gusts of at least 70mph. Started pulling awning rail off but kyham awning stayed up right. Loads of tents blew away but my awning stayed put. Don't know how these blow up ones would cope. Does anyone know.
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman Wed May 28, 2014 8:06 pm

I hope it would cope. What did surprise me was the sturdiness of the poles once they were inflated….Solid! The awning also has an effective guy rope system and comes supplied with extra storm straps.  

I agree the Kyham is a good piece of kit.

Which Awnings/Symbol - Newer Shape Dsc02073

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SoSymbol Sun Jun 01, 2014 3:18 pm

Well, Rose49f.  A couple of weekends ago I was on a flat, open, seaside, site where the winds must have been at 70mph as my van was rocking like a baby's crib.  cold 

My Airbeam stayed as solid as a rock!  I did go out in PJs, wellies and a head-torch at 3am to add the sturdier storm bands but everything stayed put!   I even think the awning kept the van on the ground.

It could have been helped by the amount of mud underneath it that may have been sucking it back down.    frustrating
SoSymbol
SoSymbol

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:02 pm

SoSymbol wrote:Well, Rose49f.  A couple of weekends ago I was on a flat, open, seaside, site where the winds must have been at 70mph as my van was rocking like a baby's crib.  cold 

My Airbeam stayed as solid as a rock!  I did go out in PJs, wellies and a head-torch at 3am to add the sturdier storm bands but everything stayed put!   I even think the awning kept the van on the ground.

It could have been helped by the amount of mud underneath it that may have been sucking it back down.    frustrating
Good to hear. They were some winds that weekend. I might get some storm ropes for mine. Would make me feel happier.

wave
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by SoSymbol Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:42 pm

Na...don't bother.  I added the storm bands that came with it that I hadn't attached in the first place.  I reckon the worst of the wind was over by 3am anyway.
SoSymbol
SoSymbol

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by T25Pete Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:33 pm

We use an Outdoor Revolution Duo air beam awning. Our van is the 2011 hi top so very tall. Originally we used the throw over straps. These are ok but need careful positioning to miss the vent covers and tv ariel. You need to watch out opening the door as it will catch the awning! We also found that rain could get in between the high top and awning. It's a bit annoying that there is no rain gutter. I guess this would be the same for other makes of awning too.
We now have a Fiamma and use a Kador strip. Very easy but it does move the awning out a bit so the Tunnel does not seal against the van.
The awning itself is very good. Large enough but can fit under the long seat with a bit of careful packing. 
We also bought a couple of run way strips. These are well worth it as they make positioning the van the same each time a piece of cake.
Cheers
Pete
T25Pete
T25Pete

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:49 pm

journeyman wrote:We've been looking at various options for a Drive-away Awning for our Symbol. Having been on the road since the 25th July, having the option to add to our living space would be really useful. We have a Fiamma 45s Awning already fitted, so would utilise the awning channel to connect to the van. We don't really need to driveaway, but do need the product to be robust in a strong wind, so I suppose that discounts the Safari Room variety that Fiamma produce. I would be petrified of damaging the van if the wind picked up.

For us the holy grail is the Kyham Motordome 780. Which is coming in at around £400. I just want to check if members are aware of any cheaper alternatives that actually can compete with the Kyham? We did have a 780 plus, supplied with the vehicle, but that was way to big for just the two of us, so we sold it to another forum member.

The Ground - Awning height is around 260cm, so I suppose anyone who has an awning fitted to a similar sized van will have a valid suggestion.

I would be interested in what other members use, especially if its a bit unusual.

Many Thanks

Jmn

Did you get sorted out with an awning ? 

I have an excellent condition Ventura Freestander (Made by Isabella) drive away awning, in blue, which is very high quality material and specification. It is the "high" model which suits awning rail heights between 2.4 & 2.8 metres and I will chuck in the necessary joins to attach it to the front fascia channel of the Fiamma wind out canopy.
It is quick and easy to erect, I used to do it single handed and is quick to peg out, unlike a lot of the lighter weight ones, that depend on loads of pegs for security. It's also very easy to connect and disconnect from the van if you do decide to drive off for the day.

I considered hanging on to it until I get my van next year, but the more I think about it, I don't think I'd ever need an awning travelling solo.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send some pics and more details. I'll consider a sensible offer, otherwise I will advertise it properly in the spring.
Kingham
Kingham
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:13 am

Wargenwolf wrote:
journeyman wrote:We've been looking at various options for a Drive-away Awning for our Symbol. Having been on the road since the 25th July, having the option to add to our living space would be really useful. We have a Fiamma 45s Awning already fitted, so would utilise the awning channel to connect to the van. We don't really need to driveaway, but do need the product to be robust in a strong wind, so I suppose that discounts the Safari Room variety that Fiamma produce. I would be petrified of damaging the van if the wind picked up.

Many Thanks

Jmn

Did you get sorted out with an awning ? 

I have an excellent condition Ventura Freestander (Made by Isabella) drive away awning, in blue, which is very high quality material and specification. It is the "high" model which suits awning rail heights between 2.4 & 2.8 metres and I will chuck in the necessary joins to attach it to the front fascia channel of the Fiamma wind out canopy.
It is quick and easy to erect, I used to do it single handed and is quick to peg out, unlike a lot of the lighter weight ones, that depend on loads of pegs for security. It's also very easy to connect and disconnect from the van if you do decide to drive off for the day.

I considered hanging on to it until I get my van next year, but the more I think about it, I don't think I'd ever need an awning travelling solo.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send some pics and more details. I'll consider a sensible offer, otherwise I will advertise it properly in the spring.

Please ignore me !   I've just noticed the original request was made back in 2013 and recently resurrected snigger  Unless you're still looking for an awning of course Whistle1
Kingham
Kingham
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down