The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installing a solar panel on a Warwick duo.

3 posters

Go down

Installing a solar panel on a Warwick duo. Empty Installing a solar panel on a Warwick duo.

Post by Dijon Wed May 29, 2013 5:19 pm

I would like to install a solar system in our van, and like the look of Clever Solar products. However, i cant for the life of me work out a route for the cable between panel, regulator and batteries. Any advice will be gratefully received.

regards Chris
Dijon
Dijon

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Installing a solar panel on a Warwick duo. Empty Re: Installing a solar panel on a Warwick duo.

Post by modelman Wed May 29, 2013 6:20 pm

When I installed mine, I gave the van a good 'going-over' to sus out potential cable-runs, i.e. made the power cable enter the top corner of an overhead
locker, so it can't even be seen with the door open, then under the locker & into the void beneath, along to where it dropped down to the leisure battery
inside & behind the panelling.

This involved the removal & 'inspection' of several various routes, & discrete hole-drilling but the more trouble taken will result in a nicer installation,
on mine for instance, NO wiring can be seen anywhere, AND I have a control/meter panel on the wardrobe side, all hidden in the double skin!!

It took me a whole day to fit 2 40w panels, rip out the van & hook it all up but it was well worth it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Installing a solar panel on a Warwick duo. Empty Re: Installing a solar panel on a Warwick duo.

Post by nimbus Wed May 29, 2013 7:27 pm

I would think that the best place to bring the cable through the roof is outboard of the tv antenna. There is space to install a cable gland on the rib under the roof bar and the cable will drop down behind the fridge. With the lower fridge vent removed it should easy to route the cables behind the fridge and cooker and the controller could be positioned on the side panel to the cooker. From there it's only a couple of feet to the battery. Alternatively the controller could be fixed in the cupboard alongside the tv.
nimbus

Male

Member Age : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by nimbus Wed May 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Here's the position of the cable gland for my Camos dish and it's probably the best position for the solar panel cable entry.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
nimbus

Male

Member Age : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Dijon Wed May 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Thanks for replies. I like your suggestion Nimbus, all I have to do now is figure out how to remove the fridge vent and see what that reveals. Thanks again

Regards Chris
Dijon
Dijon

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dijon Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm

I should have reallised getting the vent cover off was the easy bit! but each step leads to the next. Ive removed the panel above and to the right of the sink where the heating / hot water controls are and think that may be a good spot for the regulator. By the way any opinions on pros and cons of MPPT versus normal dual battery regulators (can MPPT control / monitor both leisure and vehicle batteries ? ) I havnt got too far today cos its mothers birthday, you have to prioritise!

Chris
Dijon
Dijon

Male

Back to top Go down