The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Diesel Fuel Tank Pressure Build Up

+4
Suppersready
kevjan
Paulmold
johnmcd
8 posters

Go down

Peugeot Diesel Fuel Tank Pressure Build Up Empty Peugeot Diesel Fuel Tank Pressure Build Up

Post by johnmcd Sat Jul 27, 2024 8:20 am

Hi there… Has anyone had an issue with pressure building up in a Peugeot diesel tank?

My 2018 Autosleeper Fairford with a Peugeot 2.0 BlueHDi Diesel Engine runs, but recently a fault developed and now pressure builds up in the fuel tank. To get home the garage in Dorset removed the fuel cap seal allowing me to drive the 250 miles home.

The same garage fixed diesel leaking from unused fuel return pipework and also from one of the high pressure injectors (perhaps caused by the pressure build up) so no leaks.
They found a temporary fix to allow us to get home but the underlying issue remains.

I have posted a video on YouTube and will update this post with the link once I can.

In the meantime please try a search on Google or Youtube for my video….
Fairford Fuel Tank Pressure
It describes the fault better than me.

Has anyone had such a fault and/or knows how to remedy it?

I have a lovely campervan on my drive and would love to be using it.

Thanks… johnmcd
johnmcd
johnmcd

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Diesel Fuel Tank Pressure Build Up Empty Re: Peugeot Diesel Fuel Tank Pressure Build Up

Post by Paulmold Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:09 am

Presumably this could happen to any Peugeot with that engine so why title it ' Fairford Fuel.....'  other model owners could benefit from it.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Diesel Fuel Tank Pressure Build Up Empty Re: Peugeot Diesel Fuel Tank Pressure Build Up

Post by kevjan Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:16 am

Hi, every time I fill up with diesel i get a woosh of air going into the tank it has happened ever since i had the van thought this was normal for it to build up pressure. Kevin
kevjan
kevjan

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Suppersready Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:24 am

kevjan wrote:Hi, every time I fill up with diesel i get a woosh of air going into the tank it has happened ever since i had the van thought this was normal for it to build up pressure. Kevin

Exactly the same with 2017 2.0 HDI Blue and it’s a loud whoosh too, however it’s never caused any running problems.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Corinium FB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:28 am

I can't look but I guess the fuel filler cap includes an air vent.

Any fuel tank must be vented to allow air in as fuel is consumed, and to allow air out as the fuel expands with heat. In a diesel engine the system pumps very much more fuel than is burnt, in part to lubricate and cool the injector system, and this excess fuel is returned to the tank. So the air pressure in a diesel tank can increase as well as the tank warms. There are other possibilities for an increase in pressure in the tank such as that minute amounts of air are being sucked into the suction line between the tank and pump, and being returned to the tank.

However, any such changes in pressure (+ or -) should be accommodated by the tank vent. I suspect that this tank vent is in the filler cap. If the engine runs fine without the filler gap gasket in place then that suggests that tank venting is the issue, and that the tank vents through the filler line and the tank cap.

I would try cleaning the filler cap, or try a new cap.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Jul 27, 2024 9:58 am

kevjan wrote:Hi, every time I fill up with diesel i get a woosh of air going into the tank it has happened ever since i had the van thought this was normal for it to build up pressure. Kevin
If that's all we're talking about, "they all do that sir". The van does it, cars have done it, my current petrol Lexus does exactly the same. If there are no other symptoms or problems, then it seems normal to me with modern fuel systems.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

BobK and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Jul 27, 2024 10:34 am

As Paul said, this is a Peugeot issue rather than a Fairford one, or even an Auto Sleeper one. I’d have thought, like Bargee, the breather vent would be the first port of call.

Maybe check base vehicle forums for any similar problems.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sat Jul 27, 2024 11:36 am

v8oholic wrote:
If that's all we're talking about, "they all do that sir". The van does it, cars have done it, my current petrol Lexus does exactly the same. If there are no other symptoms or problems, then it seems normal to me with modern fuel systems.

I'm not sure I would rest easy on ignoring the venting issue if that is what you are inferring.

For example, I was out in my little outboard motor sports boat the other day and I forgot to open the air vent screw on the plastic fuel tank's cap (portable tank, so you close the vent screw when taking the can to fill it up). Having run a tankful through (11 litres) with a bit of energetic wakeboarding (not me : I was steering the boat!) the tank had imploded. Modern high pressure fuel injected engines have quite powerful pumps. How strong are Peugeot tanks?

In the case of the OP there may still be a separate issue somewhere which caused his injector problems, but the fact that the glove retained pressure when the engine was stopped suggests that his tank vent is in the filler cap, and if the tank is either building up pressure or vacuuming in normal driving (for whatever other reason) it suggests that the vent is not working.

However, the OP has said : The same garage fixed diesel leaking from unused fuel return pipework and also from one of the high pressure injectors (perhaps caused by the pressure build up) so no leaks.

It is conceivable that if the fuel pump was pushing returned fuel against a build up of pressure in a sealed, unvented tank then that could account for the leak in the excess fuel return line and perhaps the issue with the injector.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:22 pm

There is no vent in the filler cap. The fuel cap will not vent to the outside, by design. It's been that way for decades now. Some vehicles even throw a check engine light if the cap isn't fitted tightly enough to seal, as they expect a certain amount of pressure in the tank, or they assume there's a leak. There will be a breather elsewhere to allow air in, and there might be a vent somewhere. But it's not in the cap.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sat Jul 27, 2024 1:22 pm

v8oholic wrote:There is no vent in the filler cap. The fuel cap will not vent to the outside, by design. It's been that way for decades now. Some vehicles even throw a check engine light if the cap isn't fitted tightly enough to seal, as they expect a certain amount of pressure in the tank, or they assume there's a leak. There will be a breather elsewhere to allow air in, and there might be a vent somewhere. But it's not in the cap.

I am happy to stand corrected. Partially!

Just got home and checked my van. The filler cap has an air admittance valve built in, which will allow air in to compensate for fuel used. It is one-way, so the cap will not allow excess pressure out. That is one theory busted thank you! I will let somebody else try and guess why the OP has positive pressure in the tank, unless indeed a degree of pressure in the tank is as you say a design requirement. I have to go and wash my mouth out, literally!

In boats we have to have vents that work both ways. Free air flow. That is a regulatory requirement. A diesel tank under pressure is considered be a fire risk if diesel vapours are pressurised since they could become atomised upon release of that pressure, e.g. when releasing the filler.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:29 pm

Fuel tank imploding is due to internal vacuum not internal pressure.

Modern engines are designed not to vent fuel vapour to atmosphere but have a evaporative emissions system to inject vapour into the engine.

Excess tank pressure could be a malfunction of the evaporative emissions system.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sat Jul 27, 2024 6:12 pm

Yes, I know what causes an implosion!

But EVAP is a completely new one on me as a mere marine engineer! Another complex system to go wrong! Thankfully not applicable to boats yet!

Here is something to read for others who may not have heard of this:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Back to top Go down