The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar Panel.

5 posters

Go down

Solar Panel. Empty Solar Panel.

Post by mcalid Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:12 am

I am looking at replacing my existing solar panel as it seems to be just an ornament now, I have no idea as to its description and capabilities but I am sure that it has given up the ghost now.
My question to the experts on this site is:
Can I install a 120watt panel that won't interfere with my MES control panel given that I have no idea what the original solar panel was?
I plan to use the existing fixings on the roof as I have sourced one which matches quite well but I would use the new wiring.
I would use a new Charge Controller and advice as to compatability would be very welcome.
I intend to direct the current to my leisure battery as I have battery to battery installed and would hope that this would maintain both batteries equally.
thanks for looking.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Solar Panel. Empty Re: Solar Panel.

Post by Roopert Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:06 am

Does the MES panel have any solar facility built-in? My recollection is that the commonly fitted MES product doesn't.

If that's correct, you don't need to worry about the MES panel at all. If you replace the panel and existing controller, it's simplest just to wire it directly to the leisure battery, unless you want the extra (minor) complication of a two-channel controller to charge the vehicle battery as well.

You say you have "battery to battery" but it's important to understand exactly what you mean by that. Typically that will be a single-direction charger from vehicle to leisure. It won't (typically) charge the vehicle battery when you have excess solar output.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Jul 23, 2024 8:09 am

Some help here

Go to Members factsheets 
Find Executive a new project 
In that go to page 3 we have solar!

This, as Roopert says by passes anything existing and directly charges both batteries. Had identical system on five vans now

We rarely use sites and even on sites only use EHU if free.

My batteries are 100% full 24/7/365
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

rgermain and mcalid like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Stephen1 Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:14 pm

I have Warwick with mes controller fitted 115watt panel and battery master keep both batteries charged ok
Stephen1
Stephen1

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Jul 23, 2024 12:48 pm

Stephen1 wrote:I have Warwick with mes controller fitted 115watt panel and battery master keep both batteries charged ok

Ah yes - although my interpretation of "battery to battery" was a B2B (DC to DC) setup, I suspect that the OP means this (a battery master, or equivalent). If so, it should be a reasonable substitute for a 2-channel solar controller.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:49 pm

Our naibor has been asking about upgrading the standard solar system on his Corinium. He wants to wire his solar direct rather than via the Sargent system and asked to look how ours is wired because the Rienza is before Sargent systems were fitted. 
He hasn’t asked yet but I think there was a hint that I might help him but I remind him there is a lot of helpful information on the forum.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:48 pm

Roopert wrote:Does the MES panel have any solar facility built-in? My recollection is that the commonly fitted MES product doesn't.

If that's correct, you don't need to worry about the MES panel at all. If you replace the panel and existing controller, it's simplest just to wire it directly to the leisure battery, unless you want the extra (minor) complication of a two-channel controller to charge the vehicle battery as well.

You say you have "battery to battery" but it's important to understand exactly what you mean by that. Typically that will be a single-direction charger from vehicle to leisure. It won't (typically) charge the vehicle battery when you have excess solar output.
Hi Roopert and thanks for the valuable advice.
The panel will be going to the leisure battery directly and you are right that I have a single direction link between the two batteries but it goes from leisure to vehicle so I hope for some power sharing between them.
The MES Panel has no Solar capability so it would seem that I can ignore that, I was concerned that I might overcharge the batteries when on hook-up but I think that the Solar Controller and the onboard Apuljack charger can deal with that.
Many Thanks.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:52 pm

IanH wrote:Some help here

Go to Members factsheets 
Find Executive a new project 
In that go to page 3 we have solar!

This, as Roopert says by passes anything existing and directly charges both batteries. Had identical system on five vans now

We rarely use sites and even on sites only use EHU if free.

My batteries are 100% full 24/7/365
Hi Ian,
Thanks for the reply, what is the voltage rating of your setup please?
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:54 pm

Stephen1 wrote:I have Warwick with mes controller fitted 115watt panel and battery master keep both batteries charged ok
Thanks for the reply Stephen, that is about the power level that I am considering, gives me confidence now.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:56 pm

130w panel, usual voltage 22.5 , charge voltage to batteries in good sun 14.4v.
Dual battery pwm controller with remote display
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:59 pm

Roopert wrote:

Ah yes - although my interpretation of "battery to battery" was a B2B (DC to DC) setup, I suspect that the OP means this (a battery master, or equivalent). If so, it should be a reasonable substitute for a 2-channel solar controller.
Yes, it is a Battery Master.
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mcalid Wed Jul 24, 2024 12:09 am

up!
IanH wrote:130w panel, usual voltage 22.5 , charge voltage to batteries in good sun 14.4v.
Dual battery pwm controller with remote display
mcalid
mcalid
Donator
Donator

Male

mcalid likes this post

Back to top Go down