The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motorhome storage

+5
Sally
Paulmold
PLOUGHLIN
The Bargee
phil1855
9 posters

Go down

Motorhome storage  Empty Motorhome storage

Post by phil1855 Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:07 pm

Hi All,
 I have decided it's time to consider storage for my Auto Sleeper Bourton. It fits on my drive, just about and its convenient, however the block paving is starting to buckle and I think having it sat on there  for the last 2 years is starting to take its toll. I am looking at various options.
In your experience what sort of money should I be shelling out for a year?
Security is paramount, I am aware of a few farmers yards used and not particularly impressed with the lack of any security apart from a barky dog lolloping about the place.
What about insurance? Did it affect positively or negatively.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Phil
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Motorhome storage  Empty Re: Motorhome storage

Post by The Bargee Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:19 pm

Block paving is easy to repair. Just lift damaged sections and relay. I have just done a small area myself but I had a bigger damaged area done by a local handyman not long ago for relatively little cost.

Invest in a couple of scaffold planks or similar to run the wheels onto and spread the load.

Personally I like my van at home. Convenient for tinkering, loading, unloading, extra bedroom, extra fridge, cleaning out before trips, testing it, cleaning out after trips, putting the washing back in the cupboards…………… and FREE!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

BobK, phil1855, Dbvwt, Caraman and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:07 pm

Your Insurance Co will probably require the storage site to be part of the CaSSOA industry Scheme, may be to gold standard, for storage away from home.

I pay £550/year at mine. IT HAS THE FOLLOWING SECURITY.

Mobile phone based entry system
CCTV with ANPR Log (Automatic Number Plate Recognition)
Secure Boundary (Large ditch all sides, double gated Access)
Alarm System
Owner lives on site
Member of Cambridge country side watch
Motion Sensors for additional security

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

phil1855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:19 pm

Make sure any security actually works. We had our last caravan stored on a gold site with cctv (didn't work) on site guard staying in a caravan (was always unoccupied), 3 sets of padlocked gates and fencing and ditches all round. Bad boys cut the fences and broke into over 20 vans. It's not always about stealing the vehicle but the damage caused breaking into them hoping to find TVs etc.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

phil1855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by phil1855 Mon Jun 24, 2024 4:34 pm

Hi,
 £550 a year was about what I was expecting to pay, I have looked at one potential site but I was not aware of  CaSSOA. It did have security gates and CCTV and a lockable compound. It's on a business park . It looked and felt secure, however I'm sure if the bu**ers want to get in they will.
I feel it would probably be as secure there as parked on my drive. I'm in the area frequently so could check on it.
 A friend of a friend parks his on a local farm for £350 per year, however it's a short stroll over a couple of fields from a main road. 
Cheers Guys.
Phil
phil1855
phil1855
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:45 pm

The one I store at is Cassoa silver, currently £500. It’s just been awarded gold. No idea if that will bring an increase. 

I don’t know if it made a difference to my insurance. I can’t keep it at home, but I wouldn’t even if I could.
Sally
Sally

Female

phil1855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Mon Jun 24, 2024 6:31 pm

Sally wrote:The one I store at is Cassoa silver, currently £500. It’s just been awarded gold. No idea if that will bring an increase. 

I don’t know if it made a difference to my insurance. I can’t keep it at home, but I wouldn’t even if I could.
Interesting point Sally.
If I couldn't keep mine at home I wouldn't have it at all!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

BobK, phil1855, The Bargee, Dbvwt and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Mike187 Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:14 pm

Ours is stored in a Cassoa gold site for£400 per year. It’s a small site, about 70 vans with added advantage that there is caravan repair guy working on site and mobile engineer based at the site, so there is often someone on site.

I’m not convinced about Cassoa as it is not very transparent on what you can expect in each category, it seems to me more of advertising platform. 

We don’t have a drive and kept previous vans on the street with little problem, it’s certainly more convenient but we have a lot of large street trees, so keeping them clean was a never ending task.

On balance if I had a drive (with no overhanging trees) I would keep it at home with appropriate security and relay and strengthen the drive if necessary. 

As for insurance costs I’ve got no idea but they seem more interested in the post code of the site than what Cassoa grade it was.

Mike

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2013

phil1855 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:04 pm

IanH wrote:
Interesting point Sally.
If I couldn't keep mine at home I wouldn't have it at all!
It’s all horses for courses really. I’m quite risk averse, and I really don’t like the absence of a motorhome advertising to one and all that there’s no one at home. But I know others do it quite happily, so whatever floats your boat as my granny used to say.
Sally
Sally

Female

phil1855 and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Tue Jun 25, 2024 4:03 am

Good point Sally, our eldest daughter stays with us and works from home so when we are away house is always occupied,also both our daughters use the van so presence or absence of van is no indication of occupancy.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Sally likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:48 am

Sally wrote:
It’s all horses for courses really. I’m quite risk averse, and I really don’t like the absence of a motorhome advertising to one and all that there’s no one at home. But I know others do it quite happily, so whatever floats your boat as my granny used to say.
I wondered if that was the concern and it's a good point.  I think it depends where you live.  I don't mind our neighbours and local postman knowing we are not at home and being a cul-de-sac not many other people come into the road.  When you use the van I assume you leave your car at the storage compound so even the absence of the car is an indicator there is no one at home.  The ideal for sure is a garage or barn at home that can accommodate the van and car(s) but not many of us can afford that.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

phil1855 and Sally like this post

Back to top Go down