The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

We did it..

+5
murph
Paulmold
boxerman
ASOF Staff
Ann B
9 posters

Go down

We did it.. Empty We did it..

Post by Ann B Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:12 am

..put down a deposit on a, new-to-us Topaz yesterday and will collect it in three weeks - we are having our drive extended so need to allow for that being finished.

Had our second good look round it yesterday and a test drive and decided to go for it. Loved the drive, apart from the fact the handbrake is a bit low for me and I think we will have to look at wedging the blinds to stop them rattling but these are only minor things.

Already planning out first trip and hope the weather holds out for a few weeks. First trips will be a days out so that the dog can get used to it before our first overnight stay. Have started a list of what we need, already have sleeping bags and a travel kettle so a minor start made but the first thing on the list is a corkscrew. Not going to buy too much - will see how we go and what we 'need' rather than 'want'.

Did look at the Duvalays, pricey though so may end up making our own but not sure if we will have room to store in the van - maybe sleeping bags would be better - any thoughts.

I'm sure I will be mithering you all to death with questions over the next few months - hope you don't mind too much.

Thanks for your help so far.

Ann B
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

We did it.. Empty Re: We did it..

Post by ASOF Staff Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:48 am

fireworks

Congratulations Ann B

Staff Member
Staff Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:16 am

Hi Ann B
Pleased to hear you have taken the plunge up! allthumbz
Topaz is a good choice I'm sure you will have lots of adventures.

When we had our Topaz(es) we tended to take sleeping bags. These days there are some high tog value sleeping bags that pack up pretty small. It all a question of how you want to use the storage space and what is important to you.

Bet you can't wait to get it

John

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:34 am

Happy New Van! camper

We've been using sleeping bags for the last ??????? years and we're always snug enough.
We use the double bed option in the Symphony and zip two king size bags together to make one big one.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:47 am

Well done on your purchase.

We also use sleeping bags in our Symphony (but in single bed mode). I quite like the idea of Duvalays as I find the mattresses hard on my hips but I know we just haven't the room to store them. We have two sets of sleeping bags - 38oz and 44oz to use depending on the time of year.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

We did it.. Empty congratulations

Post by murph Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Congratulations on your purchase Anne,
Your van is a lot smaller than ours (Basically a NeuvoES) so you will have less storage space, but we looked at duvalay's and decided that our arrangments where OK for us.
We use the double bed with sleeping bags opened out as duvet's 2 on top of one another when it is cold, or one in the summer. During the day these are stored in 20 inch square cushion covers so that they take up less space and can be used as scatter cushions if required.
The handbrake on all Fiat Peugoet Citroen vans which are built in the same factory in Italy are a bit awkward to reach particularly if you have swivel seats which add about 2 inches to the hight of the seat. Fire away with your questions you will nearly always find someone who can help and motorhoming is a quite steep learning curve you will learn by your mistakes.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:11 pm

murph wrote: The handbrake on all Fiat Peugoet Citroen vans which are built in the same factory in Italy are a bit awkward to reach particularly if you have swivel seats which add about 2 inches to the hight of the seat.
Brian2

Aren't Topaz's built on VWs?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:15 pm

murph wrote: The handbrake on all Fiat Peugoet Citroen vans which are built in the same factory in Italy are a bit awkward to reach particularly if you have swivel seats which add about 2 inches to the hight of the seat. Brian2

The Topaz is of course built on a VW but you can get these handbrake extensions to help.(states that although made for the Peugeot/Fiat/Citroens, it has been fitted to some VW's)..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

We did it.. Empty Handbrake

Post by murph Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:23 pm

HI Frank,
Possibly, I dont know, but swivels will have that effect anyway (if fitted) I was just passing on what I do know, I expect someone will tell me for certain shortly whether most people find it is a stretch to the handbrake on VWs.

Brian2

PS thanks Paul you beat me to it.

Last edited by murph on Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added PS)
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:28 pm

I can't say I've found it too much of a problem on either the T4 or T5 fitted with swivels. The sevel vans seem much higher up and the handbrake can be a tad difficult to pull up / release.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by murph Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:31 pm

Hi Anne,
and this one.

Kobran Motorhome Handbrake Extender - GM-007 Buy SECURELY ...
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:38 pm

D*mned expensive for a piece of injection moulded resin aren't they?
I quite fancied getting one of those when we first got the Boxer, but when I saw the price, I decided to keep up with the arm stretching exercises smile!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ann B Tue Aug 28, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks guys. Think I will have to put up with it. Just joined Caravan and Camping Club, and need to sort out insurance so - lots of things to spend my money on apart from that.
Ann B
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by petern Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:59 pm

Good luck Ann with your purchase.

My wife and I both think the Duvalays are well worth the price and possible storage problems. We are far too old to go for sleeping bags on top of the seat cushions - too hard - and if you go for foam mattresses under the sleeping bags, for comfort, you end up with as much bulk as the duvalays. In fact the bulk issue depends on the thickness of the mattress - we have the 4cm thick which is real luxury but can be squashed down, while the 2.5cm thickness should take up less room.

peter
petern
petern

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Ann,

Congratulations allthumbz

Brian & Chris

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:59 pm

Ann B wrote:...... we are having our drive extended so need to allow for that being finished.

CONGRATULATIONS!! allthumbz

I stuck the quote in to remind you that a MH is a lot heavier than a car; and to remember to let the drive extension cure before you park your new pride and joy on it!

Concrete takes at least two weeks to fully cure (it actually never stops!!) and tarmac can take a couple of weeks as well. I recommend that you change the vans position every couple of days or so for the first couple of months.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by MikeB80 Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:03 pm

hope you enjoy your topaz. of course you could just opt for the duvalay mattress topper which are just 26cm diameter compared to the bulkier complete duvalay, then sleep in a sleeping bag on top of the topper maybe? weblink below might help you decide.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by MikeB80 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : oppps left out the bag in sleeping bag!)
MikeB80
MikeB80

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum