The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leisure Battery discharging?

5 posters

Go down

Leisure Battery discharging? Empty Leisure Battery discharging?

Post by Synthia Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:00 am

Hi All,
  I have a two month old Warwick XL, on the Control Panel, I have selected the Leisure Battery as the source battery for power (as I assume that would then be the one that the AS Monitor tracker uses).
I have set the Solar Panel to only charge the Leisure Battery.
I have had about eight notifications of low battery, the last one on Monday morning at 6.00am. That morning I drove down to the secure site where the van is stored, ran the engine for half an hour, left both batteries at 14.1V.
This morning (Friday, so three days later) I get another AS Monitor Low Battery notification at 6.00am.
Am I doing something wrong, or can anyone let me know if I'm doing the right thing and this is a Service Centre issue?

Many thanks,
Synthia
Synthia
Synthia
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Leisure Battery discharging? Empty Re: Leisure Battery discharging?

Post by Peter Brown Sat Nov 25, 2023 11:24 am

When the van is in storage you should switch the EC700 off with the push button on the unit itself ie not the one on the control panel. That will prevent discharge from the leisure battery and direct any solar harvesting to the vehicle battery.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:51 pm

Synthia wrote:That morning I drove down to the secure site where the van is stored, ran the engine for half an hour, left both batteries at 14.1V.

Note also that these days there is quite a lot of variation from van to van.

If your van has the "traditional" split charge system, then running the van at idle for half an hour probably won't get the leisure battery anywhere near fully charged. That's partly because an alternator running at idle can't quite generate the level of power outpt that it would while driving around, and partly because the engine battery gets charged quicker (because of limitations in the wiring between the two batteries).

If your van has a DC-DC charging system then the situation will be better, but you should not expect it to be fully charged in half an hour if it was heavily discharged (e.g. at or below 12V for a lead/acid battery).

Note also that the 14.1V that you saw at the end of the charging is a bit misleading. If you had waited for 30 minutes you would have seen both battery voltages drop away, unless the solar panel was providing input at the time. A fully charged battery should be around 12.8V, but you will only really see that after the effects of charging have settled down (and only then if there are no other loads on, or charging inputs to, the battery).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

AutoSleepy_Don likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Gee Sat Nov 25, 2023 3:22 pm

As Peter says, switch the EC700 off completely to prevent the leisure battery discharging.  Also has the advantage of re-setting the system when you switch it back on.
Dave Gee
Dave Gee

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Synthia Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:17 pm

Many thanks all, I'll give that a go.
Synthia
Synthia
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:12 pm

Synthia - the advice given is absolutely correct.  What the manual doesn't explain is that when the EC700 PSU is not shutdown, it draws about 7Ah every 24 hours from the leisure battery, even when there is no habitation load, which at this time of year is more than the standard fit solar panel & regulator can generate.  Result flat leisure battery and eventually a flat vehicle battery as the EC700 will draw its power from the vehicle battery when there is none left in the leisure battery.  Solution shutdown the EC700.

As others have intimated, you should take your campervan out of storage and connect to an EHU for a day to ensure that both batteries are fully charged before it goes back into storage and the EC700 shutdown.  When the EC700 is shutdown, no solar charge will go to the leisure battery but if it is fully charged to start with and in good nick, it should be fine without charge for a good 3 months.  The leisure battery's resting voltage and therefore state of charge can be monitored remotely under Locate on AS Monitor when the EC700 is shutdown.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Synthia Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:25 pm

That explains why I'm having the problem and the solution, I will do this tomorrow and have a closer look at my AS Monitor page.
Many thanks!
Synthia
Synthia
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down