The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hab check

+4
Paulmold
Dbvwt
The Bargee
Victor Johnstone
8 posters

Go down

Hab check Empty Hab check

Post by Victor Johnstone Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:34 pm

For a variety of health related reasons (all fixed 😎) I missed the deadline for the annual habcheck in line with AS warranty 2020 Warwick Duo. We've only done around 7000 miles in 3 years and the vehicle is under cover. It's perfect. Why should I pay someone £250- £300 to tell me what I know? Am I missing something?
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Hab check Empty Re: Hab check

Post by The Bargee Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:17 pm

In many respects it may boil down to just how technically competent an owner is. How many owners would have the technical capacity to be able to deal with all the potential issues that could occur?

For a vehicle under warranty an independent habcheck could be used as a form of post delivery PDI, and an inspection might highlight issues with the vehicle (either as built or that have developed since delivery) that should be addressed under the terms of the warranty, or as simple fitness for purpose issues. I suspect that a competent hab inspector would find many build quality issues in many modern vans that should really be addressed. Obviously a main dealer PDI cannot be fully relied upon since it is not fully independent. You could regard it as a form of survey just as you would normally have a house or boat surveyed.

For a vehicle that is out of warranty the check will still be valuable for any owner not fully conversant with all the potential technical and safety issues. Even for a highly competent owner a second set of eyes can be invaluable, and a competent inspector may well know of particular issues relevant to a particular model of vehicle.

A normal policy of insurance requires that the asset insured is maintained in a suitable condition. Even if no deficiencies are flagged in a habcheck the report may provide valuable backup in the event of an insurance claim. It is proof that an owner has taken reasonable steps to safeguard the asset.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

mikethebike and Victor Johnstone like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:20 pm

I stopped after the warranty period, I like to think I know my van and most of the checks were tick boxes anyway.
I guess the water ingress warranty and any safety areas (gas for example) are something to think about.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:31 pm

All good points Bargee and thanks but the last habcheck - a touch over 12 months ago - showed all tickety boo but a few good hints on some things. Thorough and good work but it is complete. there is no water ingress that i wouldnt spot anyway. its not as if the check removed linings. gas check is another matter. i have a gas safe certificated pal who can check pressure drop etc for the price of a pint!
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:38 pm

I only have a gas check every year now. As we know van conversions rarely suffer damp issues and as we use the van we would notice such things as taps and pumps not working.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Victor Johnstone likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:50 pm

One hab check I had highlighted that my Carbon Monoxide alarm was out of date, even though I changed the battery every year, and I had 2 dissimilar hab batteries connected in parallel. Both items were working fine, so I thought.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:31 am

For years I did my own hab checks. Apart from using the van regularly I worked through the check list in the handbook once every year.

Now I struggle in tight places, can't see so well and am not happy on my back under the van - I can get there but struggle to get back out so, for the last three years and again tomorrow have a mobile engineer check the van on the drive. One of the most important part of the inspection is to check that all tanks etc under the van are still well secured.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

mikethebike and RML like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Nov 23, 2023 4:48 am

Peter Brown wrote:
for the last three years and again tomorrow I have a mobile engineer check the van on the drive.  One of the most important part of the inspection is to check that all tanks etc under the van are still well secured.

How do mobile engineers do the under van checks?  do they have some kind of mobile ramp or jack?
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:04 am

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:

How do mobile engineers do the under van checks?  do they have some kind of mobile ramp or jack?
Over the years I've had 4 or 5 different mobile engineers and I can only think of one that got under the van and that was to check the underslung gas tank connections.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:08 am

The guy who comes to me just wriggles underneath  with a torch.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Johnstone Thu Nov 23, 2023 5:24 am

to be fair the bloke from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was very knowlegable and very thorough. Came to my house and spent hours. Glenn Hood. I think ex-Forces.
Victor Johnstone
Victor Johnstone

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandora Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:11 am

Not had mine done for a couple of years admittedly, but having the gas & electrical systems checked properly, with appropriate equipment has to be good for peace of mind at least.
Flexible rubber gas pipes etc. should be changed to avoid deterioration as well as gas & smoke alarms as already mentioned.

I think some insurers require checks to be done also otherwise they may have, and jump at an excuse to wriggle out of a claim.
Vandora
Vandora

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down