The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Loose washbasin tap

4 posters

Go down

Loose washbasin tap Empty Loose washbasin tap

Post by Oona'sowners Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:28 pm

Hi.  Our washbasin tap has come loose again on a recent 5 week trip.  This will be the third time since we bought it new 21 months ago.  Each time it goes back under the warranty and they have to take out the folding basin to get to the tap mechanism.  Spoken to SMC dealers today and the chap said it is a regular thing and lots of people have this problem.  Last time we mentioned it a different member of staff said lots of people just put up with it!  Have searched this on the forum and only found one reference for a 2019 Kemerton XL.  If it is as common as the dealer makes out that sounds a bit odd.  Please can anybody who has a three year old or newer van confirm to me whether they have had this problem or not.  It seems a really bad design that the washbasin has to be removed and then resealed in to get at the tap and I worry what will happen when the warranty comes to an end if we can't get it sorted permanently. 

Thanks for any help.

Kathryn
Oona'sowners
Oona'sowners

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Loose washbasin tap Empty Re: Loose washbasin tap

Post by glyne lock Fri Jul 21, 2023 11:15 pm

so was this on my camper you seen this or R/V kemerton xl
mine kept coming loose but has now been replaced with a new tap and R/V also had this problem and also now has a new tap. I now spray a lube to help keep the tap able to move .this is a rubber lube and keeps the o rings from drying out
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Oona'sowners likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sat Jul 22, 2023 3:24 pm

Yes we had an issue with our bathroom tap coming loose and we went back to SMC. After SMC had two goes at making a good repair, (and several miles of travel back to them in the process) I'd had enough and during a habitation check at A-S in Willersey they replaced the tap with a different one that has a much freer to turn spout.

The original tap had a stiff turn mixer spout so the repeated movement of the spout would cause the single fixing screw to come unscrewed. I did buy a similar replacement tap on eBay but this was just as stiff as the original so didn't use it, hence our trip to Willersey.

With the original stiff tap I didn't notice much improvement when I applied some lubricants, mostly silicone based.

I should also add that after A-S fitted the replacement tap we stayed overnight at Morton-in-Marsh. I noticed that the tap was being slightly turned on by the basin when folded back up. The control rod on the tap was being touched by the basin causing a small flow of water to happen, from memory I think I phoned A-S to say we were coming back in the morning, At some stage I realised I still had the unused replacement tap with me and that tap's control rod like the original was shorter. Swapping over the control rods I now had a tap which didn't automatically turn on by the basin.

Back at Willersey they were busy so I just said the tap was now fixed and working OK. I didn't mention that I'd swapped the control rods.
So if you get a change of taps ask for the old tap just in case you need the shorter control rod.

I remain rather wary of the tap coming loose yet its been OK. I wonder though how many vans were fitted with this bathroom tap with its stiff to turn mixer spout.

Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Oona'sowners Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:09 pm

Thanks for the information both of you. Doesn't sound like it is as common as suggested by SMC though. Will see what they have to say and get it booked in. As you say, the miles to keep getting these things sorted is annoying. We had it back 6 times with an electric step that kept stopping. Finally got a new one and seems OK now 
Kathryn
Oona'sowners
Oona'sowners

Female

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by MJF Sat Jul 22, 2023 4:52 pm

Our 1 year old Duo is in for a service next week and the shower room sink tap coming adrift is on the extensive requires attention list that I've sent to Derby Motorhomes in advance. I'll keep you posted on the outcome.
MJF
MJF

Male

Vehicle Year : 2022

Oona'sowners likes this post

Back to top Go down