The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fake or not?

+2
whisky
Paulmold
6 posters

Go down

Fake or not? Empty Fake or not?

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 pm

This advert is on Ebay. I've questioned the seller and he says its a genuine Autosleeper, in his words 'too good to have been fitted into a used van'. It's on a Citroen not a Peugeot, why remove AS graphics and replace with this 'Sunseeker' stuff and there is no build number in the glovebox. The interior is very much AS, what do you think? Price is certainly too cheap to be genuine but would be a bargain if it was. No mention of hot water and there is no gas water heater switch in the usual place.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Fake or not? Empty Re: Fake or not?

Post by whisky Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:17 pm

Tend to agree with you Paul.
All does not seem right about this van. Suspect the original AS was in an accident and was written off. It's interior was then used to rebuild another motorhome. Also the statement that it could disappear from ebay at any time also suggests to me that if to many questions are asked about its history the seller and van will vanish.

Whisky. tap_fingers

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:19 pm

It is possible in chassis shortage times they may have built on the odd Relay/Jumper chassis as we saw recently an Executive on a Fiat.

The interior certainly does look like AS but this could have come from a write off or moy failure or could have been done by one of the factory guys ( I saw a Merc conversion done like this a few years ago

Exterior - very suspicious why devalue a van
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:49 pm

I know we've come across something similar before 'built by someone who worked at AS'. I always wonder with things like this, how do you get a wardrobe door out of the factory without raising suspicion or any other cupboard or a cooker even or were workers allowed to purchase the items?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:09 pm

Paulmold wrote:This advert is on Ebay. I've questioned the seller and he says its a genuine Autosleeper, in his words 'too good to have been fitted into a used van'. It's on a Citroen not a Peugeot, why remove AS graphics and replace with this 'Sunseeker' stuff and there is no build number in the glovebox. The interior is very much AS, what do you think? Price is certainly too cheap to be genuine but would be a bargain if it was. No mention of hot water and there is no gas water heater switch in the usual place.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The interior is exactly like mine (apart from the CD player), although there is no mention of the water heater, that is probably an oversight and the switch for the Carver on mine is in the first overhead cupboard, so you cannot see it.
The Graphics are Horrible! I suspect, as I think you do, that the Auto-Sleeper interior has been transferred to another van. That doesn't make it a bad van though, and the price is attractive whether it's genuine or not - I would certainly consider it if I was in the market.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:24 pm

The advert has been withdrawn now, so I guess we'll never know.

Most of the interior fittings look identical to those in mine, so I think there is some basis to its AS origin. However, I'm not sure whether it would be feasible with any sensible amount of effort to take an interior out of a Boxer and put it in a Relay? For example, would a high top on a Boxer be removable and just plonk straight back onto a Relay with no mods? If not, the whole roof lining would have to be altered and re-covered, and the same would be true of any panels shaped to fit the interior contours of the van, unless Relay and Boxer really are completely identical inside.

Is it possible that it was built as a test vehicle by AS to evaluate the Relay, and subsequently sold off with no AS graphics when they decided not to use that as a base vehicle?
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:41 pm

-mojo- wrote:The advert has been withdrawn now, so I guess we'll never know.

Most of the interior fittings look identical to those in mine, so I think there is some basis to its AS origin. However, I'm not sure whether it would be feasible with any sensible amount of effort to take an interior out of a Boxer and put it in a Relay? For example, would a high top on a Boxer be removable and just plonk straight back onto a Relay with no mods? If not, the whole roof lining would have to be altered and re-covered, and the same would be true of any panels shaped to fit the interior contours of the van, unless Relay and Boxer really are completely identical inside.

Is it possible that it was built as a test vehicle by AS to evaluate the Relay, and subsequently sold off with no AS graphics when they decided not to use that as a base vehicle?
Boxers, Relays and Ducatos are all virtually the same vehicle, certainly as far as the bodyshell goes,so that would not be an issue.
You could be right with the testbed theory, who knows? it would explain those awful graphics smile!

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Seller says it's been sold.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:04 pm

whisky wrote: the statement that it could disappear from ebay at any time also suggests to me that if to many questions are asked about its history the seller and van will vanish.

Enough Said.

Whisky. tap_fingers

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:28 pm

You do get the odd van they have been playing with coming onto the market. We have a member on here (although not been on for a while) with an Amethyst that has a completely different paint job to all others, it was built as a possibility that didnt happen
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by jt2011 Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:18 pm

I work in the trade and live near autosleepers and a fair few people who have worked there over the last 25 years so get to see and hear a fair bit.

A lot of vans were built by current/ex workers in their spare time on second hand Fiat Ducatos and Citroen Relays as you could buy these cheaper than peugeot boxers. These vans would have a very close resemblance to the factory made vans as a lot of the parts are easily sourced, for example the furniture was made by a local joinery firm. I know that the vans didn't always have the same graphics put on for obvious reasons as they weren't genuine factory built vans from new but subsequent owners would then get the exact graphis/decals put on to replicate the autosleeper models.

I was always led to believe AS only built on Peugeot chassis but something worth considering is the amount of cloned vehicles out there, ie. the crooks would steal a genuine peugeot autosleeper, remove all the identification then take the ID off a Fiat ducato panel van and put this on the autosleeper. They would change the front grill to make it all tally up. Its quite a simple way of making large amounts of money. I'e come across quite a few examples of this and reported many to the police who have then gone about finding the true identity of vehicles.

Its worth noting a lot of these cloned vehicles appear on sites like ebay so you need to be vigilant especially if something seems too good to be true.
jt2011
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper Model : trooper
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by jt2011 Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:22 pm

Another good point made earlier is always ask for the build number from inside the glovebox. There is no reason to remove this and I'm always suspicious if its not there.

If you call autosleepers with this number they will have all the details on the base vehicle recorded.
jt2011
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper Model : trooper
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down