The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shower room Sealant

+2
Dbvwt
Kyanpinguka
6 posters

Go down

Shower room Sealant Empty Shower room Sealant

Post by Kyanpinguka Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:21 am

A small gap has opened on the joint between shower room base moulding and shower room wall on my 2000 Symbol, possibly related to warranty work to tighten up loose tap on sink.  Can anyone recommend an easy to use sealant that a cack-handed ancient person with minimum DIY skills could use?  Looking for something that is easy to apply and will make a waterproof seal, but will be fairly easy to remove in case of future need.
Kyanpinguka
Kyanpinguka

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Shower room Sealant Empty Re: Shower room Sealant

Post by Dbvwt Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:32 am

I just used bog standard bathroom/shower silicone sealant when resealing mine a couple of years ago. Still as good today as it was then. Available in all the usual places.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Thu Sep 08, 2022 12:28 pm

Is the van still under warranty or not? If it is, I would not recommend that you DIY at all, because it may have an impact on the longer-duration damp warranty?

If it's out of main warranty then it may still be advisable to get A/S to recommend a solution. A silicone based product may work very well in this situation, but one issue is that it can make any other measure (e.g. a stronger PU-based sealant) very difficult to apply later - because almost nothing sticks well to a surface with silicone sealant already on it.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Shower room Sealant Empty 2 ways to go

Post by orac Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:18 pm

Hi, there are two ways to go, assuming no warranty and a DIY job. Firstly: Sanitary silicone sealant WITH a bactericide would work, if the surfaces are clean and dry. Rub down first with alcohol and ensure that there is no residual existing mastic as that will compromise the water-tightness. I would recommend Dow Corning products or Evo-stick. The branded mastics are usually more effective, longer lasting and less runny, so easier to control for a non-experienced user. This type of sealant/mastic won't give much strength. If you want better adhesion and a more permanent repair, use Sikaflex 552. This will add strength and be water resistant. The shower trays and panels are usually subject to stress loads (people standing or leaning) so bonding strength for me is a necessary requirement. The downside is that you will find it much much harder to break the seal if you ever need to.
orac
orac

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

mikethebike and Shockabilly like this post

Back to top Go down

Shower room Sealant Empty Bathroom sealant

Post by Bendog Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:41 pm

Hi, I am having the same problem on my 21 plate Symbol, the sealant is starting to open up in the corner where the shower tray butts up to the door frame, there is a gap of about 6 mm which has been filled with sealant
Bendog
Bendog

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Sep 19, 2022 10:12 pm

Evostick Dogs B*ll*cks, variety of colours Inc crystal clear.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:41 am

Paulmold wrote:Evostick Dogs B*ll*cks, variety of colours Inc crystal clear.
Perhaps not the easiest to apply as needs sealant gun. I've found Home Bargains sell sealant /adhesive in toothpaste type tubes which do a good job and don't cost the earth so if they go hard you can chuck away. I used some around the toilet that's lasted a couple of years so far.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down