The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replace leisure battery on Warwick/Sussex

5 posters

Go down

Replace leisure battery on Warwick/Sussex Empty Replace leisure battery on Warwick/Sussex

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:02 am

Leisure battery has expired on current trip. How do you gain access? Is there a way to move seat sufficiently forward or does seat need removal, if so do you remove seat with slide rails or remove from the rails or perhaps a way of tilting seat to gain sufficient access?
My seat does not swivel.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Replace leisure battery on Warwick/Sussex Empty Re: Replace leisure battery on Warwick/Sussex

Post by IanH Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:20 am

The seat has to be removed Paul, from the rails, the fasteners are either Torx or hex, can't remember. Accessed by moving the seat to extremes of fwd and back.
There's also a 2 pin plug to remove (this is my distant memory) under the seat, seat belt warning light I think.
Once the seat is free it'll go sideways into the pax seat area, leaving enough room to get at the LB, beware it is very heavy.
I bought a SB recently from Tayna, they were excellent here less than 24 hrs after ordering

This is all from memory Paul, as you know I no longer have the Warwick but I did have to access the LB on mine for solar installation. Once you move the seat fully either way the fasteners will be obvious.

Found a pic of my LB with seat removed it was taken when the seat was out for installing the solar controller on the ply you see there, it may help a little, have nothing else I'm afraid...good luck.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

mike-eastman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Replace leisure battery on Warwick/Sussex Empty Re: Replace leisure battery on Warwick/Sussex

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:36 am

Thanks Ian, my battery has a bar across top which looks easy enough, I just can't see how the seat fastens to the rails, I can see torx heads through the rail though that's why I thought it may remove while attached to the rails.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:14 pm

I think, again from memory that is correct Paul.
The visible screws, whatever need to come out, seem to recall 2@1 end, 1@ the other
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:21 pm

Do you have swivel seat? If so releasing 3 of 4 fixings of the swivel part may allow the seat to be rotated to one side for access. Or undo the swivel fixings and slide seat forward against the dash might work. I does on my MB based van.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:07 pm

Not a swivel seat Peter
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:23 pm

Paulmold wrote:Thanks Ian, my battery has a bar across top which looks easy enough, I just can't see how the seat fastens to the rails, I can see torx heads through the rail though that's why I thought it may remove while attached to the rails.

Sounds like a fun morning when I believe you will be moving on.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:23 pm

Duplicate post
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by mike-eastman Fri Aug 26, 2022 2:50 pm

Definitely a seat out job as described by Ian H above, then only thing I would add is, I didn't need to unplug the Yellow seat belt plug on my van, I just cut the plastic zip ties (which hold the cable to the bar underneath the seat).  There was more than enough slack on the cable to leave it connected to the seat, which has to be tilted to unhook it from the slide rail. 
No problem if you do want to unplug, but the wires are very thin and fragile, and the plug has a purple safety catch which has to be slid to unlock, so care is needed.

I then rested the seat back on the passenger seat, and the base on the floor between the seats. Access is then gained to the leisure battery, which is then easy to remove. It is a heavy battery!

Refitting is the reverse of removing, tilt left, hook slider on, lower seat on to its base, line up holes and bolt up. Fit new zip ties to hold seatbelt cable secure.

I have done this job twice now, but beware the seat is VERY HEAVY! 
Good luck.
mike-eastman
mike-eastman

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick
Vehicle Year : 2008

Paulmold and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:28 pm

Peter Brown wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Thanks Ian, my battery has a bar across top which looks easy enough, I just can't see how the seat fastens to the rails, I can see torx heads through the rail though that's why I thought it may remove while attached to the rails.

Sounds like a fun morning when I believe you will be moving on.
Great fun without hook up. Solar will bring panel gauge back to 1 green light then this morning 1 shower had pump drag it down to red. Had problems all week with power dropping with only 2 LED lights on. Voltmeter this morning after shower showed 10.2v.
On hook up now over weekend, will sort early in week.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:05 pm

New battery installed,  thanks to mike-eastman and IanH.  I simply removed grey plastic seat surround , removed 6 securing bolts, cut cable ties as mike-eastman had said, plenty of slack,  slid seat forward and tilted so it rested on steering wheel. Hardest part, removing metal strap holding battery in place, so tight up against seat frame that couldn't get socket or spanner on it, had to unscrew nyloc nut with pliers one face at a time. Battery removed, new one installed then everything in reverse. 

Just for interest on old battery, yesterday I switched on every light in van and TV on, total amperage of 8amps, solar panel covered and it alarmed and switched tv off in less than 3 hours, voltage reading 10.3. So hoping new battery will be the solution.

Donator
Donator

Male

mike-eastman and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down