The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Service and repair.

4 posters

Go down

Service and repair.  Empty Service and repair.

Post by Paulmold Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:12 pm

On the day we started our recent Lake District tour,  the van didn't sound right. We had used it 2 weeks before and it was fine. This time it sounded chuggy and a bit like a helicopter overhead.  We went off in it anyway and it drove fine. Whenever we started it up it sounded wrong but drove OK for the 12 days we were away. A good service needed? So I  rang my mechanic whilst  away and booked a service and explained  the problem. We covered 600 miles. Yesterday it went for its service (only 3000 miles and 20 months since last service but as most people, it stood still for most of last year). New oil and oil filter,  fuel filter and pollen filter (air filter was still clean so  not changed, mechanics suggestion), cost £158.inc vat and labour
The strange noise came from the bottom pulley, apparently  common on these 2.2 'Transit' engines. New pulley and two new drive belts £317 Inc vat and labour.
My van has done 52k miles so be aware of strange noise if you are approaching this mileage. My mechanic is old school, not a computer-led technician. 
If left, this pulley can wear through crankcase causing oil loss and serious damage. 
All quiet now.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Boots likes this post

Back to top Go down

Service and repair.  Empty Re: Service and repair.

Post by rgermain Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:24 pm

Good job done
allthumbz
-------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Paulmold likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:28 am

Thanks for that Paul,glad your sorted up!
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:41 am

Interestingly, Paul, I once broke one of the vanes on the large radiator fan on my BMW.    I thought it wouldn't matter as it has many vanes, but it was enough to put it out of balance and produced a light "thrubbing" noise.     
Be good to know what was wrong with the bottom pulley, though.  Would it suddenly be out of balance?   confused3
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:20 am

BobK wrote:Interestingly, Paul, I once broke one of the vanes on the large radiator fan on my BMW.    I thought it wouldn't matter as it has many vanes, but it was enough to put it out of balance and produced a light "thrubbing" noise.     
Be good to know what was wrong with the bottom pulley, though.  Would it suddenly be out of balance?   confused3
The bottom pulley is dual-mass, the rubber perishes causing the imbalance. My mechanic says many garages don't replace the two belts as its a pig of a job but the pulley can wear the belt edges when it's out of balance. If a belt snaps it's not a job to do at the roadside so would involve towing to a garage. It had probably been happening for a while, wife was always complaining of a whistling/screeching sound that I was unaware of for a couple of months, (I suffer from not hearing certain pitch noises) but when it worsened to the chugging sound I became aware.
This is what it looks like...
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Plenty on eBay that are cheap copies £35/40, genuine or OE quality ones cost £120+

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BobK Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:43 am

Of course....hadn't thought about dual mass.    Good job you got it in time.   cheers up!
BobK
BobK

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Autosleepless!!

Back to top Go down