The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Full time in a Harmony

+2
jennyandpeter
Paulmold
6 posters

Go down

Full time in a Harmony Empty Full time in a Harmony

Post by Paulmold Mon May 03, 2021 10:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Chantal DJ likes this post

Back to top Go down

Full time in a Harmony Empty Re: Full time in a Harmony

Post by jennyandpeter Tue May 04, 2021 9:10 am

Reminds me of our old duetto
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:01 pm

This was the newest thread I could find about full-timing so I thought I'd use it to ask a question I've been meaning to post for a while.

I've lost so much income due to covid (and van repairs!), I'm going to have put my house on the market in the very near future (I've been putting it off for as long as possible).

I would just live in the van, but obviously you need a permanent legal address. I have no family around to use their address nor friends I want to put upon by asking to use their address.

That leaves the obvious possibilities of buying a (very!) small flat, renting a flat, renting a room and some storage space...so I have a legal address but live in the van to a greater or lesser extent.

But I was wondering whether there are any more 'creative' solutions people use when full-timing that I haven't thought of?

Last edited by Richard75 on Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:37 pm

Hi, there is a system full time narrowboat users use this is one I found  https://canalpost.uk/  I think van users have used the same system.
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:47 pm

Thanks jennyandpeter.

I sort of knew those things existed - which is I suppose why I asked the question. I looked at things like that a while ago but, having just read through the site again, it doesn't seem like it would function as a legal address because DVLA and motor insurance require your stated address to be your actual place of residence.

I assume all people using this may also have an 'official address' i.e. family, etc.?
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:20 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
On BYCROFT website
I know some use these as UK addresses and, indeed somewhere to stay in UK, also a postal address. Added advantage is that you always have somewhere to stay, if only temporarily if it all goes wrong.
Just a thought...... (Wouldn't consider a Harmony though, couldn't wait to see mine disappear forever when traded for Warwick 2!!)
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Richard75 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:02 pm

A couple of Web articles which cover such things as getting a virtual postbox , some applies to touring abroad but there's plenty of other info..

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:32 pm

Thanks Paul. I read the articles - unfortunately they appeared to sidestep the issue of needing a legal address for DVLA / motor insurance (for starters).

How can you live in a van full-time if you can't even legally own, drive or insure it scratch head.

I suspect the only solution is to have somewhere physical like IanH suggests. I was just hoping in vain that there was another way!
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Aug 26, 2021 5:33 pm

Richard75 wrote:Thanks Paul. I read the articles - unfortunately they appeared to sidestep the issue of needing a legal address for DVLA / motor insurance (for starters).

How can you live in a van full-time if you can't even legally own, drive or insure it scratch head.

I suspect the only solution is to have somewhere physical like IanH suggests. I was just hoping in vain that there was another way!
UK is more restrictive than people realise and we're obsessed with 'rules' so you will find those living fulltime in vans/mh's in this country fly under the radar. The bottom line is the authorities frown on people bucking the norm and living in vans or boats....you're supposed to do as you're told and live like 'normal people' in an abode with a fixed address so they can keep tabs on you!

Some friends of mine used to fulltime in a mh and used their sons address for DVLA/insurance etc. Alternatively you will need to speak with a friend about it but it has to be someone you have 100% faith and trust in. Some post vids on YouTube like the one Paul linked so it's always worth making contact with one of them who would give you advice.

Here is a young couple who decided to pack up work, buy an old minibus they converted, and travel around Europe fulltime. Worth giving them a shout to see if they're still fulltiming.

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:15 pm

Cheers Bulletguy - yeah they don't make it easy. Unfortunately, I'm looking at it out of necessity rather than lifestyle! I imagine all the full-timers on Youtube / blogs are using a family address. Like I said, I don't have anyone I could use for that option...
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:40 pm

Richard75 wrote:Cheers Bulletguy - yeah they don't make it easy. Unfortunately, I'm looking at it out of necessity rather than lifestyle! I imagine all the full-timers on Youtube / blogs are using a family address. Like I said, I don't have anyone I could use for that option...
For me it was a lifestyle i'd looked into but ill health and Brexit put an end to any dreams i'd had as I would have spent 99% of my time in European countries.

You mentioned you didn't want to 'put upon' friends. I understand that but have you thought of speaking to one about your plans? I can't see any harm in that.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:48 pm

Yeah, there's nobody who would be a good option. People know the situation I'm in. It's been brewing for some time - like the boiling frog analogy. I've lost a good half my income (self-employed) since March last year with no government support and now we've reached boiling point!

My only plan B was winning the lottery but that didn't work out so here we are! A trailer park for small business owners who've been wrecked by covid would be useful...
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:49 pm

Richard75 wrote:Yeah, there's nobody who would be a good option. People know the situation I'm in. It's been brewing for some time - like the boiling frog analogy. I've lost a good half my income (self-employed) since March last year with no government support and now we've reached boiling point!

My only plan B was winning the lottery but that didn't work out so here we are! A trailer park for small business owners who've been wrecked by covid would be useful...
Yes I can imagine being self employed hasn't been much fun. Maybe something like that 2 bed chalet IanH posted? Perhaps find similar in Liverpool area? My friends who used to fulltime now live in a park home but those can be fairly pricey and some cost as much as bricks 'n mortar!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richard75 Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:21 pm

I was looking at something similar to the chalet IanH posted on a local holiday park a couple of years back when I was in a similar position.

Yeah, it seems its the annual fees / service charges etc. that add up on holiday parks. Even the service charges on flats near me are steep. I guess there's no cheap option!
Richard75
Richard75

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:29 pm

There are about ten motorhomes and a half a dozen builder's vans and caravans parked up in the next town to ours, been there for weeks.
Travellers, which I guess means no fixed abode. I'll ask them how they get around the legalities next time I'm passing...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down