The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What accessories are included with a new van?

+11
rogerblack
PLOUGHLIN
Spospe
Quilter
Peter Brown
Weegie
AutoSleepy_Don
Lorfal
Paulmold
the wheelbarrow
Dbvwt
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What accessories are included with a new van? Empty What accessories are included with a new van?

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:32 pm

Hopefully picking up my new Symbol on Thursday next week.

I want to make a list of things to check on the handover, if I don’t then I fear the excitement of picking up the van may cloud my usual judgment!!
Checking everything works and vehicle condition isn’t a prime concern as I’ve purchased many vehicles before.

What I’m after is advice of which accessories should be included with the purchase of a new A/S van conversion?
For example, hook up lead, sat nav etc....
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

What accessories are included with a new van? Empty Re: What accessories are included with a new van?

Post by the wheelbarrow Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:43 pm

Hopefully we'll be in the same situation shortly! Exciting times but still need to be cautious as you suggest.

Did you negotiate any extras as part of the deal? Tick 'em off.

Someone on this forum advised me to make sure that the new 'van is properly registered.

I would certainly expect a full tank of fuel and LPG for the amount of cash we're parting with.

Good fortune with the new camper. Hope it goes well!
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Benivan 120
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

What accessories are included with a new van? Empty Re: What accessories are included with a new van?

Post by Paulmold Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:49 pm

I'm pretty sure a hookup cable is provided but as for sat nav, only if part of the spec. I doubt you'll get full tank of fuel but pleasantly surprised if you do. Also lpg, I would hope will be full, it hardly costs a fortune and there must be some otherwise how can they test appliances. Make sure you get your set of melamine mugs, plates etc.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:59 pm

Thanks Wheelbarrow,

Due diligence regarding registration will be done.
Extras weren’t negotiated as A/S seemed to be well equipped compared to others but I’m going in with all eyes open regarding what should be included, hence the question.
I was also more interested in the ‘bottom line’ rather than a full tank (as nice as that is on handover) so anything will be a bonus!

Good luck in your search, as you say very exciting but scary at the same time

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:00 pm

When we picked up our fairford 1 year ago, there was a full tank of LPG, half a tank of fuel, long hookup cable, whale water filler thingy and hose and a pump thing....I say thing as I’ve not really used either and they are still in the bag. Sat nav was part of spec.oh and there was a cool bag filled with a new melamine dish set and 4 crystal glasses , in the cuboard with the built in glass and bottle holders.......subsequently removed as they take up too much space.

It’s an idea to ask them to throw in a few spare bits of hose used for draining grey waste and fresh tank. Ours cracked last year in low temp in only our second trip or so away. It’s handy to have stuff like that so might as well ask!

Little things to check..... are all the feet present on the lifting sofas?
Are the internal felt sills all stuck down? Are all the blinds working ok?

Small things I know, but so annoying when you notice the wee things wrong on your maiden voyage!

Good luck!
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:05 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone, you are replying before I get a chance to answer a previous post!
Will sit in the background with my pen and paper for now so please keep the suggestions coming, they are much appreciated.
David
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:08 pm

things that were missing from my van
* van should have 2 tables (on Warwick anyway, my old symbol did too)
* the covers for the fridge vents

All models have hook up lead.

Your right to check, my van has many loose parts that the dealer could lose (and did in the above 2).
A full list needs to know year and model of van and which packs are fitted.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by the wheelbarrow Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:18 pm

If it's not too late - can you still negotiate?

Bike rack perhaps?
Extra year of warranty?
First service?
Upgrade to the alarm system (if it needs it)?
A weekend on a site to break her in...
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:51 am

A few out of sight, out of mind things to consider.

- Is the leisure battery present? (And to the spec agreed?)
- Is the toilet cassette present?
- Is there a tool kit? Towing eye? (Under the passenger seat, probably).
- Smoke and CO detectors? (Test them, if the dealer doesn't during the handover).
- Manuals and guarantee paperwork for the base vehicle and conversion.
- How many ignition keys did you ask for? (Ours came with just 1 fob and the immobiliser master key)
- Are there spare keys for the toilet cassette door, water cap, etc?
- Check online that it's been taxed
- Is the A/S build sticker inside the glove box? (You'll need it if you want to order anything from them)
- If you ordered any packs (winter, driver, etc.) are all of the extras present?

Tommy.
Weegie
Weegie

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:27 am

Most of the accessories for the conversion should be in a sealed plastic bag that should include at least a hook up cable, water fill hose or pump, BBQ gas connector, etc. If the bag has been opened then insist on a full inventory check with the factory. Additionally there should be the crockery set and awning winder pole.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:36 am

Brilliant stuff everyone, lots of things I hadn’t even thought of.

I’ve had to start my list again on a bigger piece of paper!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:36 am

Check the glass plate and tripod support from the microwave. Our dealer removed them to store and forgot to put them back. We didn’t notice until we were 2000 miles away....

You should also have, possibly under the passenger seat, a small,grey felt bag with the doings necessary to put your alloy wheel back on the carrier in the event of a puncture.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:36 am

Quilter wrote:You should also have, possibly under the passenger seat, a small,grey felt bag with the doings necessary to put your alloy wheel back on the carrier in the event of a puncture.

This item does seem to get placed in various locations (which vary depending on the model and the dealer). It would be helpful to you if the dealer explained its use and you put it away somewhere obvious. Personally speaking if I ever get a puncture, I will not use it and simply store the punctured wheel on the floor or in the toilet room until it is repaired (why struggle to raise and lower the wheel twice?)
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Nov 14, 2018 11:49 am

Spospe wrote:

Personally speaking if I ever get a puncture, I will not use it and simply store the punctured wheel on the floor or in the toilet room until it is repaired (why struggle to raise and lower the wheel twice?)

We thought that until we had a tyre written off in Spain and, not knowing what it was, we had left the adapter at home. The huge, filthy, heavy wet and awkward tyre won’t go in the ( Broadway) shower room and took up much of the floor space between lounge area and hab door.  Never again: I’d rather dump it by the roadside.

We found out what the bag was through a forum question; our dealer hadn’t a clue.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by the wheelbarrow Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:30 pm

David - what are you planning in terms of alarm / tracker for your new pride and joy?
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:10 pm

the wheelbarrow wrote:David - what are you planning in terms of alarm / tracker for your new pride and joy?

Once more, advice here would be welcomed.

I have been surprised that Motorhomes generally don’t come with alarms??
Until I work out a plan it will be parked on my drive with a Stoplock pro steering lock and Milenco wheel clamp fitted (I already own these from previous vehicles).

This is also included in the description, comments on this also welcome...

• “Trackstar Leisure CAT6 Vehicle Tracker with 1 year free subscription”

Thanks , David

Last edited by Dbvwt on Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:11 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by the wheelbarrow Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm interested in this as well. As you've said - new campers don't come equipped with an alarm. Our insurers require a Thatcham Cat 1...

I've also ordered one of these:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Realtime-Car-GPS-GSM-Tracker-Locator-Vehicle-Van-Personal-Tracking-Device/292400215553?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I know they can be jammed, but if the maggot who wants to steal the camper has a jammer then they'll be prepared for pretty much anything we can fit.

I've also got a security camera - detects motion, battery operated, connects to my wifi when we're at home - uploads to the inter web and emails me. Might get a vid of the maggot's face. Might not.

You can only do so much...
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:46 pm

New vans come with a tracker. Sargent CAT6 Vehicle Tracker Pre-Installed (£95 Annual Subscription Applicable)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:42 pm

In order to comply with wiring regulations a van must include a 25m 16A hookup lead as part of the mains installation, it is not optional.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:27 pm

HairyFool wrote:In order to comply with wiring regulations a van must include a 25m 16Af hookup lead as part of the mains installation, it is not optional.
Just out of interest - does that apply to used van sales from a dealer?.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:27 pm

Marquis supplied a new lead in sealed bag with my 3 year old AS along with a new set of level ramps and soft ground wheel pads.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 pm

Without it the cable the installation is incomplete therefore cannot have a valid safety certificate. If the buyer is willing to accept it on that basis then I suppose that is up to them. 

Of course any modifications to the manufacturer installation invalidates certification anyway but how many dealers have the required approvals to inspect and recertify their second hand sales stock and are (should) they (be) required to. Mine had been altered, one obvious (an external mains socket) and one hidden (light switch bypassed).

"Buyer beware" essentially means that you accept what you agree to when paying for something second hand, would a dealer still offer the price if they had to pay for an inspection?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:09 am

I just wondered because when we part-exd he gave me a new cable with the used van but didn't want my cable in the van I gave him, presumably because he would put a new cable in that. I've now got three cables.

Last edited by Paulmold on Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:08 am

The cable when new is assumed to be compliant, the van if it had no known modifications would still have the original approval valid so the whole package is safe.

The original cable is the most likely part to have had abuse, the damage may not be visible and he doesn't want to take the risk.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:06 pm

I believe the requirement is for leads to now come supplied with new caravans and motorhomes constructed under the National Caravan Council (NCC) approval scheme.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next