The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cab Curtains

+6
Gromit
Peter Brown
Paramedic
Paulmold
Quilter
Molly3
10 posters

Go down

Cab Curtains  Empty Cab Curtains

Post by Molly3 Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Anyone fitted curtains to to shut out the front part of the cab to retain heat .Neuvo ek or similar .how did you do it . allthumbz
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Cab Curtains  Empty Re: Cab Curtains

Post by Quilter Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:13 pm

Molly3 wrote:Anyone fitted curtains to to shut out the front part of the cab to retain heat .Neuvo ek or similar .how did you do it . allthumbz

Molly...we thought about this some time ago in our Broadway. We didn't go ahead in the end though have not given up the idea. After much measuring we thought that the curtains, when drawn back during the day, would block the space in front of the bulkhead and behind the cab seats when we hang coats and stow silver screen, umbrellas and so on.

This is the post in which I asked for information- some very useful info and photos.

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t17645-broadway-cab-curtains-how-fixed?highlight=broadway+cab+curtains
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:43 pm

Is this in addition to the curtains that go around the cab in front of seats? Or do you not have such curtains?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:14 pm

Our first motorhome being a ACE MILANO had short curtains to the over cab bed for privacy. We replaced them with full length to try and isolate the chill from the front. The cab seats did not rotate so in practical terms hadn't lost any habitation space. Our best efforts never completely cut out the draft. Need to bear in mind that by isolating the cab from any heating, will effectively bring about temperatures similar to a fridge and in your case cramp your living space? You can mitigate the loss of heat from the cab by fitting  external silver screens.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Molly3 wrote:Anyone fitted curtains to to shut out the front part of the cab to retain heat .Neuvo ek or similar .how did you do it . allthumbz
You can use an expandable shower curtain rail between the pillars and clip a travel rug or similar to it. That keeps the heat in and its easy to 'lose' the bits when you don't want it.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Quilter wrote:

Molly...we thought about this some time ago in our Broadway. We didn't go ahead in the end though have not given up the idea. 
Same here!

I wanted to do it specifically to keep the cab both warmer when travelling in the winter, and cooler in the heat of summer, when the cab heater or aircon is trying to heat or cool the whole volume of the habitation area. If just the cab area was being heated or cooled it would obviously be far more effective - specially the latter.

May do it one day, but it's not high on the priority list.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:07 pm

My understanding is that, if you paid for the Winter Pack when the van is new then, because that includes internal cab blinds, the curtains will be either not fitted or removed. Not having the Winter Pack means you get curtains.

IF this is true then it does seem a bit mean as the Winter Pack is an extra and, if the curtains are included as part of the original van, then they should not be removed.

We have the Winter Pack, part of which is the 6 kW heater. That has to have an extra vent fitted- on the bed base behind the driver’s seat. Because of this extra outlet vent we find the cab area is warm enough BUT, on cold winter nights, we’d like to be able to close it off to make the living area look cosier and less functional. I am thinking that a light voile or similar cutain would do the job for us and give sun shade and some privacy while not being too bulky to draw back fully.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:52 pm

Paulmold wrote:Is this in addition to the curtains that go around the cab in front of seats? Or do you not have such curtains?
No curtains are fitted may be because it has remiss blinds  just thinking it would feel more cosey.
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:06 pm

Better to fit external thermal covers. Less heat loss, more space, less condensation.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:09 pm

Quilter wrote:

Molly...we thought about this some time ago in our Broadway. We didn't go ahead in the end though have not given up the idea. After much measuring we thought that the curtains, when drawn back during the day, would block the space in front of the bulkhead and behind the cab seats when we hang coats and stow silver screen, umbrellas and so on.

This is the post in which I asked for information- some very useful info and photos.

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t17645-broadway-cab-curtains-how-fixed?highlight=broadway+cab+curtains. Thanks for reply very helpful  great pics 
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:14 pm

Molly3 wrote:
Paulmold wrote:Is this in addition to the curtains that go around the cab in front of seats? Or do you not have such curtains?
No curtains are fitted may be because it has remiss blinds  just thinking it would feel more cosey.
The age of your Nuevo is not shown in your profile, that's why I asked.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:19 pm

My van is a 2014 nuevo with winter pack does this mean I have 6 heater ? .how can I tell ? It dose have an outlet by the driver's seat only had van a couple of weeks so still very green .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:57 pm

Molly3 wrote:My van is a 2014 nuevo with winter pack does this mean I have 6 heater ? .how can I tell ? It dose have an outlet by the driver's seat only had van a couple of weeks so still very green .
If you have the winter pack, blinds and extra outlet then you ought to have the 6kW heater. Don’t take it for granted however. Ours came - new- with a 4 kW heater by mistake and had to go back for the 6. That’s how I know that the 6 needs and extra vent: one had to be added to ours.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:52 pm

To add to my post above: remove the drawer from under the wardrobe by pulling it out then lifting at the end. With a torch, can you see the plate on the heater which will say either C6 or C4 ?
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:36 pm

Quilter wrote:To add to my post above: remove the drawer from under the wardrobe by pulling it out then lifting at the end. With a torch, can you see the plate on the heater which will say either C6 or C4 ?
Thanks, you have been very informative .I am having a couple of days  off grid this weekend I have no idea how long the heater will run on my 200 amp batterys..... We don't like cold .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chinaexplorer Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:08 pm

My wife fitted full length curtains in our 2010 Broadway. She used the curtain rail that was already fitted for the short curtain for the luton (which we don't use). It has worked really well in keeping draughts from the cab out of the main body of the van when we are parked up. It makes a real difference in the winter but we don't need to use them in the summer months.
Chinaexplorer
Chinaexplorer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Post by steve00136 Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:59 pm

soon after getting our van my wife fitted full length curtain liners behind the original short front curtains hanging from the same hooks. They cut out a lot of the draughts  from the front  but not all. i later bought parts from eBay to extend the heater blowers to the front which has pretty well sorted the problem.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo / Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Cab Curtains  Empty Curtains.

Post by redturner37 Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:15 am

Peter Brown wrote:
You can use an expandable shower curtain rail between the pillars and clip a travel rug or similar to it.  That keeps the heat in and its easy to 'lose' the bits when you don't want it.
We use an extendable clothes prop.....
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:30 am

Molly3 wrote:
Quilter wrote:To add to my post above: remove the drawer from under the wardrobe by pulling it out then lifting at the end. With a torch, can you see the plate on the heater which will say either C6 or C4 ?
Thanks, you have been very informative .I am having a couple of days  off grid this weekend I have no idea how long the heater will run on my 200 amp batterys..... We don't like cold .
molly, your heater (off grid) runs from gas, not your batteries. the leisure batteries are required to power the distribution fan, but a large battery loke yours should be fine for a few days....perhaps a solar panel to replenish the batteries will extend your off grid capability.

incidently, for those who only use electric heating side of the Combi, there is no difference between the 4 and the 6, they both give 900w or 1800w depending on setting.
on mixed (gas & electric) mode, the 4 gives up 2kw of gas to supplement the electric setting, whereas the 6 can add upto 4 kw.
only on gas-only does the 6 deliver its full 6kw of gas heat, and the 4 delivers 4kw as expected.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:13 am

PLOUGHLIN wrote:Better to fit external thermal covers. Less heat loss, more space, less condensation.
They are on my shopping list ,had them on my last van J n M silver screens
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Molly3 Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:43 am

bolero boy wrote:
Molly3 wrote:
molly, your heater (off grid) runs from gas, not your batteries. the leisure batteries are required to power the distribution fan, but a large battery loke yours should be fine for a few days....perhaps a solar panel to replenish the batteries will extend your off grid capability.

incidently, for those who only use electric heating side of the Combi, there is no difference between the 4 and the 6, they both give 900w or 1800w depending on setting.
on mixed (gas & electric) mode, the 4 gives up 2kw of gas to supplement the electric setting, whereas the 6 can add upto 4 kw.
only on gas-only does the 6 deliver its full 6kw of gas heat, and the 4 delivers 4kw as expected.
Thanks for info my van has the useless 30 w panel will upgrade to 120 asap or maybe add 100w to existing panel  looks simple job as the wireing is done .
Molly3
Molly3

Male

Back to top Go down