The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Habitation check, is it worth it?

+17
rose49f
mikebro
steve00136
Heanorboy
Pete Taylor
m8form8
bikeralw
mikethebike
Gromit
nuevoboy
Paulmold
RML
meanchris
TravelKat
roli
-mojo-
bazil
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Habitation check, is it worth it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Habitation check, is it worth it?

Post by mikebro Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:47 pm

Good idea to check terms of insurance. I just checked mine and in my case there is no requirement for any kind of third party habitation check unless the van conversion was a DIY job. So I will continue to do my own habitation checks unless the terms of my insurance change. Thanks to Paul though for making me check my insurance!
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Habitation check, is it worth it? - Page 2 Empty Re: Habitation check, is it worth it?

Post by Brian East Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:28 pm

If still under warranty there's not much choice but to have it done
I've just been quoted £260 by main dealer. What a rip-off .Can anyone recommend somewhere near Lincoln to get it done at a sensible price ?.
Brian East
Brian East

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by artheytrate Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:51 pm

Brian East wrote:If still under warranty there's not much choice but to have it done
I've  just been quoted £260 by main dealer. What a rip-off .Can anyone recommend somewhere near Lincoln to get it done at a sensible price ?.

Couldn't you try a mobile caravan motorhome engineer as there are quite a few on the internet, as long as they are accredited and stamp your service book.

John.
artheytrate
artheytrate

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jan 15, 2017 3:27 pm

Try here for an approved mobile engineer

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

You also have loads of dealers around the Nottingham area which is not too far from your area.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:23 pm

Not entirely sure about using a third party to do the habitation check, ok they may be accredited and a bit cheaper. Do not forget you have paid £50k+ for a van so to save a bit on the check up could cost you dear if you have to make a claim with your original dealer and A/S.

I would think the original dealer would not really be on your side if you had not put business his way with any good will payment.

These are my thoughts, please correct me if wrong and also let me know how you all get on.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian East Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:24 pm

Thanks Paulmold will give him a call in the week
Brian East
Brian East

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian East Sun Jan 15, 2017 4:30 pm

Thanks rgermmain but I'm not getting a lot of good will from my dealer hence looking elsewhere thanks again
Brian East
Brian East

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:39 pm

rgermain wrote:Not entirely sure about using a third party to do the habitation check, ok they may be accredited and a bit cheaper. Do not forget you have paid £50k+ for a van so to save a bit on the check up could cost you dear if you have to make a claim with your original dealer and A/S.

I would think the original dealer would not really be on your side if you had not put business his way with any good will payment.

These are my thoughts, please correct me if wrong and also let me know how you all get on.
Yes It does look like that.  However dealers do not worry enough about their customers.
Car dealers the same. Thats why you can have your car serviced outside the dealer network ,if you use manufacturers parts.
Its a scare story by dealers.  Many are rip off dealers.  IMHO.
We read of so many owners on this forum who have been treated badly by their supplying dealer.
          Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2