The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Storage Question

+12
Quilter
Charliefarlie
Paulmold
bikeralw
daisy mae
Cymro
Peter Brown
MJD
maricardo
steamdrivenandy
Gromit
roli
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Storage Question - Page 3 Empty Re: Storage Question

Post by Gromit Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:30 pm

matchlessman wrote:Being realistic though, if you flush a gallon or so through the hose before filling tanks it should get rid of any nasties.
It works for me, and I use the garden hose to fill up at home! up!

I do wonder about "food grade" hoses, and other such items. Strictly speaking it would only be food grade until it had been used once. After that there's no guarantee that it hasn't been contaminated in some way - possibly by storing it damp in a plastic bag. A damp, waterproof environment is ideal for some nasties to flourish, specially if it's warm.

Is this another marketing ploy I wonder? First generate an anxiety, then sell something to set minds at rest again. shrugg

Dave

P.S. The blue food grade hoses take up a lot of room too, if you carry a decent length. As much, if not more than a coil of garden hose.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:41 pm

I don't really think 'food grade' is quoted because somehow the hose doesn't breed germs. It's more that the plastic used doesn't impart that plastic taste to the water.
Up until recently I supplied my summerhouse with water via a normal garden hose to a domestic tap. If the water had been in the hose a while it tasted awful unless it was flushed for a few minutes. Since piping it in via semi-rigid blue plastic pipe, there is no taste at all even if the tap hasn't been opened for months.
Al
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:59 pm

The plasticisers used for making garden hose flexible enough to be used after being left out in the sun and rain for years are implicated as carcinogens and endrocrine disrupters and there is the possibility of them leaching out into the water that goes through the hose.  The same plasticisers are not used in food grade hose.

(Edit to add: Google it; its well documented.)
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:11 pm

There is also a "drinking water" grade hose.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:09 pm

bikeralw wrote:Up until recently I supplied my summerhouse with water via a normal garden hose to a domestic tap. If the water had been in the hose a while it tasted awful unless it was flushed for a few minutes. Since piping it in via semi-rigid blue plastic pipe, there is no taste at all even if the tap hasn't been opened for months.
Al
Interesting practical experience Al, but not too surprising I guess.

I still find it difficult to believe that any significant amount of nasties can be leached out of (particularly) an old garden hose while a few gallons of water pass through it. Presupposing of course that it has been flushed through thoroughly first.

How much plasticiser is there available? Surely there can't be a never ending supply, so after a while, specially if the pipe has been left full of water, that which can leach out will have already done so?? I don't know. I'm not a chemist, but logic would seem to suggest that any leaching out of plasticisers would significantly diminish as the pipe ages, and that the swift passage of a few gallons of water would be unlikely to absorb much - if any.

Many motorhomers use fairly big plastic jerry cans to fetch and store their drinking water, and I've yet to see any of those labelled as "food safe"?? (I confess I haven't specifically looked, but I think I would have noticed.) If they are not food (or drinking water) safe, that practice must surely be far more dangerous than passing the water quickly through a pipe?

Confused, I am. scratch head

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:14 pm

My two 5 litre water containers I use for my drinking water are food grade. if you look on some of them there is  a knife and fork denoting food grade, as there are on freezer boxes.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Storage Question - Page 3 Empty New user to a Small van! Rather nice Duetto i

Post by Sailer670 Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:45 pm

Now we have been using Tents, Caravans and for the last 18 years motorhomes. I have had over those years Coachbuilt 6mtres to a 7.5 mtr. The experiene has been great
especially by gradually increasing in size and so has the LOAD. We gradually decreased to an Ascot which we really enjoyed for just over 7 years. It had to go because at our ages we could no longer crawl over each other at night!! Well we could but with difficulty. So, this led us to suddenly go to the Duetto with the facility of Single Beds. 
Stowage of all those bits and pieces collected over the years became somewhat of a problem (well to me) but my really resourceful other half has managed to put those that are necessary to carry into the Duetto. Chairs are now strapped behind the driving and passenger seats. The chocks which have always been bagged are now in the passengers
footwell. Admited neither of us are giants and my wife at just 4'.11' and myself at a shrinking gradually 5'7" are okay. I am now looking for a Towball attached Carrier and Box to carry the BBQ and other required items. i.e. Fire bucket ,windbreak and few "tools". This weekend is the third trial run but now with increased load! We are looking forward to this challenge. We survived the Gales at easter although we (14 vans) had to be towed off the field due to excess rain and mud. We survived very comfortably the coldest weekend last year and so we intend to continue. WATCH THIS SPACE !!best_friends
Sailer670
Sailer670

Male

Member Age : 88
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:55 pm

On our last van we attached a 1.5 m length of 6 inch diameter plastic drain pipe, with one fixed and one removable end piece,  to the underside of the bike rack. It held the awning rafter, a never-used windbreak and other long thin bits and pieces. It did not interfere with the bikes or their stowage in any way. With the bikes in position it was quite difficult to see as, being grey with white end pieces, matched the van body. It was fixed with cable ties. The removable end piece was screwed in which would only have slowed a potential thief for a short time but, in the 5 years we had it no- one ever attempted theft.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:55 pm

Reading through this thread again I find there are various posts that refer to things being secured in place by nylon cable/zip ties. I also use them a lot, and always thought they were a fit and forget item. Not so it seems, I was checking something else on the van and just happened to give a tie a little twang to check it's tightness and it broke off. Examining them all I could see they had sun damage and every one was brittle and broke when flexed. I can't remember where I bought them from, but like anything, I guess you get the quality you pay for. 
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3