The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

insulating tanks

5 posters

Go down

insulating tanks Empty insulating tanks

Post by kbsserv Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:52 pm

Hi all

I asked some weeks ago, whether any members had attempted to insulate there
underslung tanks & pipes.I want to use our van all year round without having to drain down.

i had no repsonse so asummed nobody had done it, so bit the bullet today
I got down to it. used like a thin rubber sandwiched between two outers of silver foil!!.

Pipes done in pipe wrap.

spray glue to the tanks, & all weather tape to be sure.just got to wait for the tank heaters to arrive
and should be all set.

I took some photos if anybody interested,(how do i insert them) cost about £180.00 the tank heaters being the best part of £130.00.

Karl

kbsserv
kbsserv

Auto-Sleeper Model : symbol

Back to top Go down

insulating tanks Empty Re: insulating tanks

Post by eggnog Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:18 pm

Karl

I'd be grateful for sight of the foties. I'm not that deeply into it that I'd contemplate heating the tanks, but insulation against a few degrees of frost would have been a real help in the past. Then there was the time that I left the drinking-water container outside too - so no coffee - and I don't do breathing in and out in the morning without coffee.

As to posting images, the 'Welcome' section up at the top has good instructions. Photobucket became a pain at one time but seems to have settled down recently.

Cheers
Eggnog
eggnog
eggnog

Auto-Sleeper Model : Talisman

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:02 pm

kbsserv wrote:Hi all

I asked some weeks ago, whether any members had attempted to insulate there
underslung tanks & pipes.I want to use our van all year round without having to drain down.

i had no repsonse so asummed nobody had done it, so bit the bullet today
I got down to it. used like a thin rubber sandwiched between two outers of silver foil!!.

Pipes done in pipe wrap.

spray glue to the tanks, & all weather tape to be sure.just got to wait for the tank heaters to arrive
and should be all set.

I took some photos if anybody interested,(how do i insert them) cost about £180.00 the tank heaters being the best part of £130.00.

Karl

Hi Karl,

Sorry i didn't see your previous post, I posted this a while back,

deckie on Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:39 am

Hi All,

I have been following this thread with interest for a while.

For many years we have had American RV's, with all systems inside and warm.

With our AS Clubman's tank and pipes under the van, i am investigating different idea's of frost protection.

I'm far too old and fat for winter sports but do not want to limit travelling at any time of the year.

At the moment i am looking at 230 volt, 10 watts/mtr, Self Regulating Trace Heating Cable from the likes of
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] (They also do a 'Plug & Play' system £200 ish if required)

CAK Tanks do a 12 volt Self Regulating tank element (DFE 02) for £70 ish.

I'm thinking along the lines of, (when cold enough), running the Trace Heating off the inverter when travelling and on mains when on site or at home.

The tank element will run off the leisure batteries , which are charged when on the move or on site (or at home)

I think that with plenty of lagging (tank & pipes) the system should not be running for long periods (self regulating)

Whilst i am very happy to keep the waste tank open to a bucket etc., i do not want to drain the water system and use a container (did that many years ago with caravans !!! )

Looking forward to any comments

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by kbsserv Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:30 pm

hi Brian

I am going to use the heaters from CAK Tanks,they have no stock at the mo

i am awaiting delivery.just like you i want to be able to use the van all year
without draining down, i thought about removing tanks to insulate but thought that
would mean altering or changing the support brackets as with insulation the tank width increases
so have done mine in sit. not the easest way.

I will only find out if it has worked when it gets a bit colder.

The cak heaters come on at 5 degrees off at 10 degrees.

karl

kbsserv
kbsserv

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:49 pm

Hi Karl,

Our plans have changed a bit since i posted that article, so i will be carrying out that work in the summer, ready for the future !!

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:02 pm

Hi there,

Please check out my comment on "Winterisation" and remember that insulation doesn't stop water from freezing, it only delays the process. (i.e. If the temperature falls below zero degrees and stays there water will freeze - eventually.)

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

insulating tanks Empty photos

Post by kbsserv Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:31 pm

insulating tanks DSCN0142insulating tanks DSCN0141insulating tanks DSCN0140insulating tanks DSCN0136
kbsserv
kbsserv

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:07 am

A PS to previous?

The other things that always froze up was the sink drain and the shower 'U' bend!

Not much point having water coming in if you can't get rid of it!

Best regards,

Dutto drinksallround
Dutto
Dutto
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by eggnog Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:09 am

Thread Drift Warning!

Hm, dark grey pavers with mid grey patterning, retaining wall in 'Rustics' with grey engineering capping.

Oi! What's that van doing parked on my drive???
eggnog
eggnog

Auto-Sleeper Model : Talisman

Back to top Go down

insulating tanks Empty insulating water tanks

Post by murph Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:22 am

Hi all,
I have insulated a water tank in the past using material from C.A.K Tanks but on our Nuevo I prefer the internal bag tanks that I now use, they will only freeze if we do as well, there are photos in the coachbuilt section under internal water tanks. the bags are 20 litre water carriers obtained on the internet plumbed in using pushfit plumbing and a plastic garden hose tap to control while filling. If you decide to fit them a word of caution. dont overfill them as in high water pressure areas they may spring a leak. As a precaution I now have a sheet of builders plastic known as viscrean under them turned up high at the edges to contain any drips.

Brian
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down