The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement key - water fill cap and side box

4 posters

Go down

Replacement key - water fill cap and side box Empty Replacement key - water fill cap and side box

Post by Paul Barrett Sun Jan 17, 2016 7:56 am

Hi - just purchased 1993 Harmony on Talbot Express chassis.  No key was supplied for the lock for the side box where the porta potti is and also the water fill lockable cap.  I assume they are both the same key.  Any ideas on where to get a replacement before I remove the side box lock and take it to a locksmiths ?  Many thanks Paul
Paul Barrett
Paul Barrett

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

Back to top Go down

Replacement key - water fill cap and side box Empty Re: Replacement key - water fill cap and side box

Post by Paulmold Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:36 am

Don't know if things were the same in 1993 but on my 97 Symphony and my 2006 Nuevo, the same key does habitation door, toilet hatch and water filler. So maybe they just need a little WD40.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Replacement key - water fill cap and side box Empty Re: Replacement key - water fill cap and side box

Post by NORGIL Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:40 am

Hi Paul,  I got a replacement key for my side locker off the shelf from Jacksons of Old Arley,  Thay have a key board with loads of caravan/motorhome keys on and they are happy to let you walk out with a few to try till you get the right one, not very close to you I appreciate but if they have them I suspect other similar type shops will too.

Norman
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by m8form8 Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:54 am

Everything has a different key on my 95 Amethyst apart from drivers doors and ignition.  biggrin
m8form8
m8form8

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:58 am

Silly me, you don't have a habitation door on a Harmony, so you obviously haven't got a key. If you remove the lock as you said you will do, then if you remove the barrel from within, then you usually find key number stamped on it or just do as Norman says and try a load of keys from a friendly caravan shop - Marquis Tewkesbury or Cotswold Motorhomes ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Barrett Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Cheers everyone.  Side box lock removed and taken to pieces.  The only number stamped on the barrel is "2".  So its down to the locksmiths tomorrow.  Good news is that the side box and the water filler cap look similar.  I'll update ASAP in case anyone else has similar problems.  Ta  Paul
Paul Barrett
Paul Barrett

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Barrett Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:24 pm

Lock taken to local locksmith who took less than 30 seconds to find key to fit.  All back together and the key for the side box and the water filler cap on my van are the same.  Locksmith did state that the key was from a non secure manufacturer and the key was stamped with an "L" number.  Thanks for help everyone.  Next problem is to service the Propex 1600 unit and get the good old sheared manifold  stud replaced !! then work out how all the Zig electrics work.  The charger & distribution side has a Zig unit but there is no model number on it.  The M2000 unit seems ok then it will be the ..... and then the ....all part of the fun.  Deadline for everything to be sorted is August 13th ready for Cropredy Festival.  Mrs Barrett insisted on a camper for Cropredy  this year because our tent failed last year and soaked absolutely everything including the make up bag.  Ta Paul
Paul Barrett
Paul Barrett

Male

Back to top Go down