The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike cover for Fiamma cycle rack model Pro C

+4
Liam
Pete Taylor
cyclo
Jaime 007
8 posters

Go down

Bike cover for Fiamma cycle rack model Pro C Empty Bike cover for Fiamma cycle rack model Pro C

Post by Jaime 007 Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:01 am

Hello,

My wife and I have recently taken up cycling again after a gap of 44 years! We have a Nuevo EK (2010) fitted with the Fiamma Pro C cycle rack. We would now like to obtain a waterproof cover for our two bikes. Can any fellow motorhomees recommend such an item. I have read on the internet that the Fiamma cycle cover is rather thin and flimsy so we are hoping that people will be able to guide us towards another manufacturer.
Thank you in anticipation.
Jaime 007
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Bike cover for Fiamma cycle rack model Pro C Empty Re: Bike cover for Fiamma cycle rack model Pro C

Post by cyclo Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:28 am

The problem with most of the covers including Fiamma is they do not fully cover the bikes when they are on the rack. I have adapted

a cover by cutting a slit from the top to the bottom on the back to allow it to pass over the clamp holding the bike to the rack. I intend

to fix velcro to the gap to pull the two sections together below the clamp. Taylormade who make thermal windscreen covers make a cover

similar to the way I have adapted mine, it is shown on their website. My cover came from one of the Companies who supply caravan and

motorhome covers, it is lightweight strong and breathable. I bought it at the NEC show, they had them on offer on the stand.

David
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EKTBLP
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Bike cover for Fiamma cycle rack model Pro C Empty Re: Bike cover for Fiamma cycle rack model Pro C

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:18 pm

Well done for getting back on the bikes! I'm sort of dithering about getting a cover myself; never had one before but the back of a coach-built seems to get much dirtier than our previous T5 VW.

Did you read about the chap and his Daughter who had come back from France thro' the tunnel and when they got home he looked in the rear-view mirror to see what looked like a rucksack between the rear window and the bike cover? It was a rucksack- with full-sized illegal immigrant attached, who they dislodged on their drive-way and called the cops!

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Bike cover for Fiamma cycle rack model Pro C Empty Re Bike Cover

Post by cyclo Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:00 pm

Some people will do anything to avoid pedalling.  snigger snigger
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Liam Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:21 pm

We use the Fiamma cover on the Pro C rack and whilst it is made from a thin material we have not found any problem with it. The up side is it folds up into an easily stored item when not in use.

It is a tailored fit and providing care is taken you will find it a good solution for keeping your bikes clean, dry and away from prying eyes! 

The other benefit to using the Fiamma cover is that is has a transparent waterproof pouch to accommodate the bike warning symbol and its reflectors - which is a mandatory requirement in some EU countries!!

Good luck with the cycling - well worth the effort of  carrying them around with you.

Liam
Liam
Liam
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Swansea Jac Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:28 pm

goneoff err sorry This is not what you are looking for as it cannot be used to cover your bikes whilst travelling in your van...But it is a great place to store your bikes once you have arrived at your camp site! 

Also useful for storing tables/chairs etc.  Easily erected and taken down, and it really does fit into its tiny bag at the end of your stay! Here it is at Argos, but you might find it cheaper elsewhere! winkin!

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3335631.htm
Swansea Jac
Swansea Jac
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : Legend
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi there,

We do a load of cycling and have a Fiamma cycle cover that has so far lasted four years and provides excellent cover .... 

.... but it is so fiddly to put on and take off and then open and close (at nearly six feet tall I have trouble zipping it up when the bikes are inside) that we only use it on long runs and in winter to protect the bikes from salt.

So for short journeys and in the summer we use a cheap tarpaulin wrapped around the bikes and held in place with string ad bungee cords instead.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS

We wouldn't be able to see any stowaways because the bike-cover design totally encloses the bike-rack and the bikes .... up!

.... but as the load limit on the bike-rack is 35kg it would have to be a very skinny illegal immigrant! hugegrins

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Bike cover for Fiamma cycle rack model Pro C Empty Bike Cover

Post by cyclo Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:51 pm

Which model Fiamma cover do you use? mine is elasticated round the bottom and doesn't give complete cover because of the fixings

of the rack to the van and the bike to the rack.

David
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:04 pm

Hi there,

It's this one ....

http://www.fiammastore.com/Carrier-Accessories/Fiamma-Bike-Cover-Premium-S

.... but we don't have the "jack-out" bike rack so imagine what it's like trying to run that zip all the way across without being able to get to the back!! tap_fingers

However, it does protect the bikes completely and as the bikes cost a few quid it's worth the struggle for long runs; especially at this time of the year when there's a lot of salt and grit on the roads! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Bike cover for Fiamma cycle rack model Pro C Empty Bike Cover

Post by cyclo Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:50 am

Thanks for the information, when you look at most of the adverts it is difficult to see how they fit. I am happy with my cover

now that I have modified it, also it is light and packs up into a small bag. The only thing I can't remember the manufacturers

name, I know they were in West Yorkshire but wonder if they were not made as a regular product line. I bought a motorbike

cover at the same time made from the same material. I will have a look round at the NEC show and see if I can find any.

David
cyclo
cyclo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:35 am

Hi there,

Eurotrail do a very simple cover as per this ....

http://www.riverswayleisure.co.uk/acatalog/info_692064.html

.... but not sure how it is fitted or held in place.

I suggest that you carry ....

.... a bungee cord to keep the pedals in place and stop them from rubbing against the other bike, ....

.... a few old tea-towels or rags to stuff between the two bikes if there is a chance that they can rub against each other, ....

.... a strong lock and a chain long enough to strap both bikes to each other and the bike-rack, ....

.... a couple of bungee cords and a length of cord to strap up, down and across the cover to stop it flapping in the wind.

I have to admit that by the time we are ready to go on a long journey the bikes and cover are well lashed on to the bike-rack with locks, chains, cord and bungee cords!

This was after our first venture out when I stopped to deal with the "flapping" noise .... tap_fingers

.... and then to re-adjust the cord which I discovered had come loose and was trailing about fifteen feet behind the van! tap_fingers tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by V Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:44 pm

Jaime 007 wrote:Hello,

My wife and I have recently taken up cycling again after a gap of 44 years! We have a Nuevo EK (2010) fitted with the Fiamma Pro C cycle rack. We would now like to obtain a waterproof cover for our two bikes. Can any fellow motorhomees recommend such an item. I have read on the internet that the Fiamma cycle cover is rather thin and flimsy so we are hoping that people will be able to guide us towards another manufacturer.
Thank you in anticipation.

Hi Jamie 007 & wife
Not another manufacturer but this may help your decision...
We have a Nuevo EK 2012, I would think they have the same in-set on the rear to where the bike rack is fitted, with the same rack fitted.
We have the cheaper Fiamma cover with the elastic bungee 'fitting'. It seems to get damp inside so maybe not fully waterproof or moisture being thrown up during transit.
The larger of the two bikes is a man's large frame Scott hybrid and the cover fits several inches down the back at the top and sits round the corners of the outer carry rail at the bottom.
Fitting becomes easier with practice and the bungees stretch a little easier. Some of the stitching has come undone towards the ends, not sure if our fault or its. I still need to investigate. It's been put on/off approx. 16 times.
We have a plastic signal board in the pocket.
We then fit 3 looped security cords around the lot for visible security, which are then taken on the bike rides so are not extra luggage.
I said I would pay the extra for the zip type, which seems superior, if we were to purchase again. Don't know 'till we try.
If we were both 7 foot tall octopuses'(?!), I'm sure fitting would be a doddle.
Regards.
V
V

Female

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by njr001 Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:33 pm

I purchased a bike cover from J & M Designs makers of Silver Screens in 1997 which is still serviceable having been used with several Fiamma racks. It's not currently listed on their website but probably worth a call to 01274 872151
njr001

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down