The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New A/S Wave

5 posters

Go down

New A/S Wave Empty New A/S Wave

Post by mike Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:42 pm

We have an A/S windsor on the Transit Mk 7 2008 and we are thinking of having a static Van in spain and downsizing to a Wave. We will not give up having the facility of being able to go away for weekends in the UK or travelling through France to Spain and using Aires and campsites on the way down.

Has anyone actually bought one ? and any comments positive or negative will be most welcome, especially on comfort of the beds and the bit that puts the wife off which is the toilet arrangement.

I only wish that A/S would ressurect the duetto an the new transit.

mike
mike
mike
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Windsor on Mk7

Back to top Go down

New A/S Wave Empty Re: New A/S Wave

Post by Shuggiegreen Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:49 pm

Just make sure you can relax in it before you buy.We had the same layout in a VW as the wave but we just couldnt relax in it properly.The toilet arrange does not allow a lot of privacy either in my opinion there are better vans out there for less money Swift have a new van for next season which I believe is selling very well and the full back end opens up they do a 2 berth and a 4 berth sorry I cant remember thename the price is around £43,000.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by edcayton Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:10 pm

The high top is fugly, and the rising roof rises at the wrong end-I can't believe there is enough headroom in the kitchen.

Ed
edcayton
edcayton

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Trident automatic
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by mike Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:23 am

Shuggie and Ed, your thoughts mirror my own. I wonder if A/S have made a mistake in trying to pander to potential Snobs with the Merc badge (their advert slogan prestige of the 3 pointed star)and produce a Posh day van. I feel that we current and potential Motorhome owners like meeting other like minded people and do not look down or up at what value the Motorhome is.
Maybe A/S will produce a better version to take in comments like yours especially the Fugly high top, it looks so amateurish. Looks like I will have to stay with my Windsor or go to another make.
HAPPY CHRISTMAS to you ALL:allthumbz:

Mike and Heather
mike
mike
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Windsor on Mk7

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:35 am

Mike and everyone on the forum Merry Christmas. I dont want to upset folk on the forum and I do like Mercedes however,if you keep your eyes open and check older white vans by far and away the rusty ones will be Mercedes and for me that kills the idea of them being a prestige make.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:29 am

Shuggiegreen wrote:Mike and everyone on the forum Merry Christmas. I dont want to upset folk on the forum and I do like Mercedes however,if you keep your eyes open and check older white vans by far and away the rusty ones will be Mercedes and for me that kills the idea of them being a prestige make.
Hiya,

I agree with Shuggie on this one as I am amazed at how many "new" (i.e less than 5 years old) but rusting Mercedes vans sweep past me as I toddle along.

In particular, they seem unable to cope with the smallest chip, dent or scratch without a resulting eye-sore of rust; and from this I presume that they have very little (if any) cathodic protection on the first layer of paint.

I'm sure it was done on the basis of the "cheap build = bigger profits" and "built in obsolescence = more sales" culture that seems to have infected all organisations nowadays and Mercedes vans are definitely no longer "prestige" vehicles.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Thu Dec 25, 2014 10:41 am

Hi,
You could say the same about the cars, front wings on some are reminiscent of Corrina, and the seats on basic models are rock hard..........but they look nice,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Shuggiegreen Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:08 pm

Funny I havnt noticed it so much on the Mercedes cars but I will watch out for it now.However,If you are going to spend big money on an A/S Mercedes it would make sense when you take delivery to drive it straight to a rust proofing company and get it properly protected including all of the box sections £500 or £600 whatever it costs is small change compared to the purchase price in my opinion.
Shuggiegreen
Shuggiegreen

Male

Back to top Go down