The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symbol Maintenance Manuals

3 posters

Go down

Symbol Maintenance Manuals Empty Symbol Maintenance Manuals

Post by jerryf Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:28 am

Hi
I am keen to do as much maintenance as possible on our 08 plate AS Symbol van partly to save on cost but also so that I know exactly what the state of the van really is.

Only problem is trying to get hold of any relevant workshop manual.

The only ones I have been able to find are electronic and some of them look pretty poor.  However, the manual at the link below looks reasonable so wondered if anyone else had tried a copy of this manual or found an even better one.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The other manual I am trying to track down is one for the Boxer radio/CD player fitted to the van (Fiat 250 CD unit made by Blaupunkt) so that when I disconnect the battery I can then re-input the radio code to get the thing to turn on again (Got the code but not sure how to re-input the digits and which button to press once they have been entered).  The van did not include a separate manual for the radio when we bought it secondhand and I have not been able to find one online either.

All comments and views gratefully received.

Best regards
Jerryf
jerryf
jerryf

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Symbol Maintenance Manuals Empty Re: Symbol Maintenance Manuals

Post by boxerman Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:57 am

To be honest, these manuals are not that good, if you are expecting something like the Haynes manuals you'll be very disappointed and there isn't anything else out there available to the general public apart from the Russek manuals AFAIK. The Russek manuals only cover models up to 2002 and to be honest, fall short in many respects.

The ones you linked to appear to be "just the job" but they are taken from the manufacturers manuals and assume that you have all the Peugeot special tools to hand and that you have been "Peugeot trained". The instructions for the various tasks are mainly "pictograms" with little if anything in the way of the written word.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Symbol Maintenance Manuals Empty Thanks for your reply

Post by jerryf Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:12 am

Frank

Many thanks for your reply.

Sounds like the online manuals at the link I posted are not what I am looking for.

It is most annoying that there isn't a 'Haynes' like manual for the competent but non-Peugeot trained home mechanic.

Perhaps I need to find a customer friendly Peugeot mechanic for anything other than an oil change which I have already done.

Best regards
Jerryf
jerryf
jerryf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:23 am

Hi Jerry
jerryf wrote:
It is most annoying that there isn't a 'Haynes' like manual for the competent but non-Peugeot trained home mechanic.
If you are competent (as I consider myself to be) the diagrams etc. are helpful to show how it goes together / comes apart but they won't hold your hand while doing a job like a Haynes will  smile! 

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Symbol Maintenance Manuals Empty Thx for additional comments

Post by jerryf Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:10 am

Hi Frank

Yes I do consider myself reasonably competent (ex aircraft engineer) and have maintained most of our family cars in the past, including stripping down and rebuilding a problematic Maxi gearbox, so the Boxer diagrams plus a bit of caution and common sense may well help cover the majority of std tasks.

Even seeing where some of the components are before stripping things out would be helpful.

Best regards
Jerryf
jerryf
jerryf

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:47 am

Some time ago I bought the £9.99 emanual you provided the link for and agree with Frank that it doesn't provide any step by step instructions. However I'm glad I've got it as it has provided circuit diagrams for electrical work and the mechanical diagrams usually show how things go together. The worst thing about it is that everything is based on the built in search engine and sometimes this can be frustrating as one is never sure whether what one wants is actually there or not.
scratch head
Mikebro
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down