The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bourton

+3
jht sheffield
roli
Claytaa
7 posters

Go down

Bourton Empty Bourton

Post by Claytaa Fri May 30, 2014 3:24 pm

Hi folks,
Thinking of changing my Warwick Duo to a Merc Bourton. Any advice pros and con much appreciated. Is the Merc auto, 7 speed euro 5 a good drive ECT plus any other comments. allthumbz
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Bourton Empty Re: Bourton

Post by roli Fri May 30, 2014 3:46 pm

I have only heard good reports on the Merc with the 7 speed box from the people I know. With today's offering of chassis would be my favourite if we were to change
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 30, 2014 4:02 pm

Great chassis & engine. Poor payload...better than Stanton but still <400kg on 3500kg chassis. Not sure if it has a real spare wheel. I know the Stanton doesn't due to payload concerns.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 30, 2014 5:55 pm

Claytaa wrote:Hi folks,
Thinking of changing my Warwick Duo to a Merc Bourton. Any advice pros and con much appreciated. Is the Merc auto, 7 speed euro 5 a good drive ECT plus any other comments. allthumbz

We liked the Bourton,  , I would say you will like the Merc. I think the body is a bit widder on the Merc. the engine will certainly be quiet , we keep looking at Auto Sleepers but we like Aldi heating which at the NEC last year they said they did not do it ,it's supposed to be heavier than blown air , also not much storage for chairs etc. probably due to more storage means more weight getting near to being overweight, I think like all manufactuers they need to start looking into modern strong lighter materials , anyhow good luck .

Tony A
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jht sheffield Sat May 31, 2014 4:41 pm

Hi Claytaa.    Recently purchased Burford Duo on Merc chassis.   Super to drive, fairly low engine noise, better than Peugeot and even though it has only covered 1500 miles, 25 mpg.   Enjoy.

John up!
jht sheffield
jht sheffield

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Burford Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sat May 31, 2014 7:40 pm

We have spent a great deal of time pondering the Bourton but were concerned that it is too wide for the sort of places we want to go to; we intend to order a Lunar Landstar; same excellent base vehicle but a van-conversion, about £54k otr in the spec we were wanting.

I think the Bourton would be an excellent choice if you don't mind the width. Also read up on the new Hymer ML-T; looks great but not our sort of interior layout and it is £73k!

The Euro VI Sprinter engines are a step change from the Euro V versions.

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sat May 31, 2014 7:48 pm

I took delivery of a Bourton 4 weeks ago, great van, 7 speed auto is good and it does have a real spare wheel slung underneath, had mine fitted with Truma habitation air con which is great, this is the first van I have owned which after the first trip was not back at the dealers with a list of faults, every thing works as it should and no problems whatsoever , I also specified mine with a manual water filler as I do not like the electric one, if you order this at the build stage your dealer should throw it in free but you will still have the electric filler as well, great van go for it.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Mercedes Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:29 am

Thanks for all the comments, much appreciated. Pete Taylor, what do you mean re the step change Euro 5 to 6?
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:45 am

Hi Claytaa,
                I think what Pete Taylor means is that the present sprinter has a euro 5 engine which is the current emissions standard but soon the euro 6 standard will come in,  to meet the new emission standard the euro 6 engine sprinter will have an "ad blue" tank mounted under the bonnet, this has a capacity of 18 litres and the ad blue is injected into the exhaust system to reduce emissions, this 18 litres will cover the vehicle mileage for approx. 2000 miles when it will need refilling. quite a simple task as ad blue is quite easy to buy. all engine  manufacturers will have to meet this standard when it comes in, possibly later this year, but do not worry about getting a euro 5 engine van as this standard will continue to be acceptable for years, in fact the Transport for  London emissions standard is currently set at euro 3 but to be raised to euro 4 soon and anything under this is barred entry to the Low emission zone (LEZ), petrol engined vehicles are ok. I was quite happy to buy my Bourton with the euro 5 engine, the euro 6 engine by the way will cost approx. £1000 extra when it comes in, by the way I forgot to mention in my previous post I had the solar panel upgraded to 80w, hope this explanation helps you.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:10 am

Claytaa,
The emissions improvements are pretty amazing, fuel consumption is only 1mpg better but the van drives far better due to changes in the torque curve, amongst other things (according to my fleet contacts). They seem well pleased, despite higher initial cost, approx 1000 euro per unit, as they buy in bulk. 
apart from the engine changes there are several other improvements, suspension, etc. It's all in these links plus there is a fair bit of info if you search the trade reports.

http://www.transportengineer.org.uk/transport-engineer-features/first-euro-6-van/51417 

http://tools.mercedes-benz.co.uk/current/vans/brochures/new-sprinter-brochure.pdf
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:30 pm

Many thanks, advice and links well will help so much. Leaning towards Euro 5 ?
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:47 am

Have now ordered the Bourton for Oct delivery with a Euro 5 engine. Could have had Euro 6 with no extra cost but after discussing with members of the heavy haulage game have decided Euro 5 is the way to go. No Adblue, no extra servicing cost and any effect re access to certain areas will have no effect on Euro 5 for ten years plus. By the way padraigpost opted for a manual fill, good advice, thanks.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:00 am

Hi Claytaa,
                I am sure you will be very happy with your Bourton   we are, we cannot find a single fault with it, usually with a new van you make a "snag list" but  there is nothing to fix, we specified the habitation air con which we have found to be very effective and getting the solar panel upgraded from 30w to 80 has greatly helped keeping batteries topped up see if you can get these included in the deal.
Regarding your manual filler you will still have the electric one as well but the manual one feeds into the top one of the 2 fresh tanks which is mounted under the offside bench seat. hope the wait until October is not to hard.
Don

ps. re your other post mine came with continental tyres
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:59 pm

Pretty amazing to be unable to find a fault on a new van, keeping my fingers crossed!!!
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by silvertraveller Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:15 pm

HI Claytaa
                      A good choice of engine the euro 5 , adblue motors are ok till they start to go wrong & then very problematic & expensive to repair
                                                                                             Mick
silvertraveller
silvertraveller

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2009 Broadway EK

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:33 pm

Have now taken delivery of the Bourton. No probs up to now. Impressed with drive and interior finish seems good. Off to France tomorrow so will know a bit more in a week or two!
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by padraigpost Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:58 pm

Have a great holiday, you will love the Bourton, let us all know how you get on.
Don
padraigpost
padraigpost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:00 pm

Cheers Don.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Driven down to the Ebro Delta in Spain it Bourton. Has to be said it drives superbly. Few niggles with Autosleeper side, panel keeps telling me the vehicle battery is low, which it isn't, door stay on hab door has come away, drawer below wardrobe faulty runner, still trying to fathem out the alarm. All in all though very impressive up to now.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:51 pm

Hi Claytaa. I'm happy for your being pleased with your new Bourton. I agree, the Merc does drive superbly. Sorry to hear about the problems on the A/S side of things, but it should all be fixable, as you will know.

The control panel "battery low" warning may be indicating that the panel requires recalibrating? May I suggest you download the technical information from Sargent and follow their instructions regarding the battery capacity settings and the panel recalibration?

As for the alarm, are you talking about the Mercedes fitted cab alarm? After the cab doors are centrally locked using the key, if the cab doors are opened from inside the vehicle, this sets the horn honking (but it doesn't do that if you open the habitation door). I can't comment if you're talking about a secondary fitted alarm system though.

Best wishes for further happy travels.

Barry
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:15 am

Cheers Barry.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:55 pm

Glad to hear you are enjoying the van despite the niggles.

Spinney told me today that our Stanton will arrive to them "at the end of next week" rather than the already missed dates of mid-October and 1st November. They will need it for two weeks to fit towing bracket, bike rack and hab door lock, plus doing all the other usual PDI stuff. So, beginning of December? tap_fingers

How are you finding the gas consumption and the availability of auto-gas pumps?

Enjoy the trip.

Pete.

Pete.

www.petetaylor.org.uk
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Claytaa Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:03 pm

The area we are in Pete is a bit devoid of gas, however we are on a site so only using it for the outside cooking gas and so on. The gauge doesn't appear accurate, (as with our last van) so I'm hoping we have plenty left. This area by the River Ebro is really nice, quiet which suits us. If we need gas I think it may well be a hike to either Barca or Valencia. Hoping we can get by till middle Dec when we will be back in France on return home, gas there is very easy to get. Hope you get the Stanton soon and good luck with it. The MB does drive extremely well and we are really pleased in general with the van. There are things to be picky about but eh ho. I see they have put the prices up for 2015! Best wishes.
Claytaa
Claytaa

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:14 pm

Claytaa wrote:The area we are in Pete is a bit devoid of gas, however we are on a site so only using it for the outside cooking gas and so on. The gauge doesn't appear accurate, (as with our last van) so I'm hoping we have plenty left. This area by the River Ebro is really nice, quiet which suits us. If we need gas I think it may well be a hike to either Barca or Valencia. Hoping we can get by till middle Dec when we will be back in France on return home, gas there is very easy to get. Hope you get the Stanton soon and good luck with it. The MB does drive extremely well and we are really pleased in general with the van. There are things to be picky about but eh ho. I see they have put the prices up for 2015! Best wishes.
Cheers!

Of course, I'm forgetting there is a microwave too- luxury!

We negotiated 2014 price but with the new (2015) interior timber, which now turns out to be 2016 spec!!! Who knows what we'll get.  snigger

Pete.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down