The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Frost heater in freshwater tank? Broadway FB

2 posters

Go down

Frost heater in freshwater tank?  Broadway FB Empty Frost heater in freshwater tank? Broadway FB

Post by ajrm Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:49 pm

I picked up my new Broadway FB over a week after I had my 2 hour handover.  
So, armed with a large box full of paperwork and manuals, we set off for a weekend away and managed to work everything, and fix a few minor niggles.
Anyway, it's not even Summer yet cold  And we are thinking of a prolonged winter trip.
I know I will have to winterise the water systems, and first thought was a heater for the fresh water tank. 
But, I am not sure if I already have one!

I am pretty sure I was told the Frost Protect button on th EC 480 control panel wasn't operational, but, if I press the button, the blue light comes on and I can hear a relay clicking in the EC 500 unit.

Looking under the van at the fresh water tank, I can see all the wires used for the water levels, 2 black wires going up to the top of the tank ( water pump wiring?) and also another pair of wires ( blue and brown and covered with a white tubing) that also go up to the top of the tank.

Does anyone have a similar van with or without the Frost Protect?

Does it look like I have the heater fitted or will I need to contact AS to ask them.

My Van has the premium pack fitted together with rear corner steadies.

Thanks in advance

Allan
ajrm
ajrm

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex 2013 Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Frost heater in freshwater tank?  Broadway FB Empty Re: Frost heater in freshwater tank? Broadway FB

Post by ajrm Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:59 pm

Well, I heard back from AS who confirmed I don't have a heater in the tank, it's just that the control panel button works like that anyway whether a heater is fitted or not
Oh we'll, thought I was going to save a few quid !
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Frost heater in freshwater tank?  Broadway FB Empty Re frost pack in water tank

Post by raybow Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:05 am

ajrm wrote:Well, I heard back from AS who confirmed I don't have a heater in the tank, it's just that the control panel button works like that anyway whether a heater is fitted or not
Oh we'll, thought I was going to save a few quid !
Allan

Hi Allan

I picked up my Broadway FB in May2013 and on ordering made sure I had a frost protection fitted to the water tank in the deal. I have a seperate switch with a red light just inside the habitation door. I am not sure what the cost would be to have your changed but like you I will be using my van through the winter so I think it is worth doing.
I have just had my fridge pack up and had new control panels fitted today. With so much gear fitted to these vehicles you got to expect some teething problems I suppose.

Hope your enjoying your new van as I am

Raybow
raybow
raybow

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Frost heater in freshwater tank?  Broadway FB Empty Re: Frost heater in freshwater tank? Broadway FB

Post by ajrm Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:42 am

I did find the cost of fitting a frost heater from AS, just over £400! I think I will check other places first.
Teething problems have been thankfully minimal. A couple of press studs fell off the front seats, the heated towel rail in the bathroom fell apart, I had to lubricate the lock mechanism on the bathroom door because it wouldn't stay shut and the water pump wouldn't shut off one day so I had to adjust the pressure switch. It still stutters a but but I think it just needs fine tuning. Apart from that, everything works fine.
First real trip away is next month. I guess if anything else is going to give trouble, we will find it then, but so far, we love this van
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:04 am

Well, first trip and second trip under the belt and 2400 miles later, most things seemed to work ok and I can confirm this is a great van.
We did have problems with the waste tank sensors playing up ( poor design but fixed by the dealer, for now), hab door lock fell apart ( if you try to open it from both sides at the same time, the lock falls apart) now fixed, and a couple of cupboard latches failing( take apart and lubricate to fix)
But overall, well pleased with the van. It's great to drive, great to live in, gas seems to last about a week but cheap to refill, fuel economy, around 28 mpg, and easy to keep clean. Plenty of room for us 2 and 2 dogs to lounge about in
I need to think about insulating the water tanks and pipes and have been in touch with CAK Tanks in Kenilworth. They can supply an automatic tank heater with switch and insulating wraps for the tanks for way less than £200, so, that's the next job
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Frost heater in freshwater tank?  Broadway FB Empty Broadway FB meets expectations

Post by raybow Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:30 am

Hi Allan glad to hear your enjoying your Broadway, I have just got back from touring Poland and was very pleased with the performance of my van which was loaded up with electric bikes on the back and still gave us 29/30 mpg.
We had a few teething problems with the control panel shutting down the display side and hot water system everytime
the solar panel reached its maximum charge. We had this problem before we left for our trip but had previously had Autosleeper change the ecu and the regulator which did not cure the problem so that only left the control panel itself which we had changed this week and so far it seems to be working ok. I live in hope. We also noted after driving through heavy rain that the door mat inside the step was soaking wet, I have read someone else on this forum complain about this also but not sure what the cure for that is.
Re -your enquiry of having a heater fitted to your water tank you mentioned having the tanks also lagged which I am now wondering if that is something I will need to have done as I don't think mine are. I suppose this adds even more weight to the van. Please let me know how you get on.
We are planning our winter trip to the Algarve next and am really enjoying our purchase. I hope you do the same.

Regards

Ray
raybow
raybow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:06 am

I'll let you know how I get on with the tanks. We also had a very wet step mat after heavy rain, but I can't see anywhere it seems to be coming in. Further investigation is needed I think!
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ajrm Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:14 pm

Well, the wet mat seems to be caused by water entering the vents at the sides of the footwell. The rear vent is in front of the rear wheel and there is staining and mud inside the vent and water stains below the vent
Quick fix was to tape off the vent with Gaffa tape. I can't see any reason for vents in the footwell so if the tape stops the water coming in, I will seal them off permanently
Allan

Male

Back to top Go down

Frost heater in freshwater tank?  Broadway FB Empty Water entering footwell on Broadway

Post by raybow Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:25 am

Thanks Allan that sounds a good idea and I will give it a go too.

Ray
raybow
raybow

Male

Back to top Go down