The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Announcement

+52
chrismacgowan
daisy mae
ade700
AlanT
Lotusanne
inspiredron
mikethebike
Dago
murph
fisherman3
Andy R
Den and Colin
Robbie
TeamRienza
journeyman
newterry
prestbury
Paulmold
Enn
hillwalker
DuxDeluxe
dandywarhol
grasscutter
Wingrider8368
Peter S
Alan.C
Cymro
Annevan
Tommy-Darcy
minky58
peugeotboxer
Ann B
vwt4
orian
terrybrinklow
Flying High
BobK
Waves117
Doris
andygump
algy
Groper
ian
Nuevo
rose49f
Peter Brown
roli
modelman
Dutto
chrisvesey
nuevoboy
Admin
56 posters

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Announcement - Page 3 Empty Re: Announcement

Post by Ann B Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Admin, the way I read 'step up to the plate' was in terms of financial support for the forum not in any critical way.  Could be wrong but it sent me on a search round for info on how to become a donator which I now intend to do.
Ann

allthumbz
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:47 pm

Dear Admin,

I suspect I'm not alone in feeling that I'm missing the sub-plot here.

The initial announcement was, I thought, about one person who was a prominent member of the administration of the site, who left following a difference of opinion with other administrators. That caused you to consider your position and the future of the forum. The announcement provoked a major outpouring of support for both you and the forum, and I'm very pleased that you have felt able to continue with you much-valued work, from which so many of us derive great pleasure.

Latterly, however, iit's been reported that several members have left, and issues of funding have arisen. I don't know anything about those matters (and suspect that I don't need to.) But if there's a way in which we ordinary members can ensure that the forum continues, do please make suggestions. Be assured of our loyal support. And let's go autosleepering!

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:36 pm

Admin wrote:
orian wrote:Whilst I am pleased that Admin & the team have decided to keep the forum running, I am concerned that we have lost around 10 of our top 40 posters on the forum. 

I suspect they also included people who financially assisted the forum.

If we want this forum to survive then we must step up to the plate.

Hello Bob

I'm not sure what you mean by 'We must step up to the plate' ? Perhaps you would validate what you mean by this, so I can attempt to understand better.

These members decided to leave of their own accord. They were not prepared 'before fleeing' to stop and discuss their feelings, or the merit of their wholly incorrect presumptions (bad judgement on their behalves). They know little, if at all any of the facts before passing their judgment. If it's a case of any financial assistance being involved then I will be only too happy to reimburse those involved.

Lastly, nobody on this forum has the right to attempt to oust out newcomers to the forum, and it's certainly not the behavior expected of a member entrusted with the role of a staff Moderator. This forum is not just about a handful of people who think they are superordinate to others joining and I think the whole situation reflects very badly on those concerned not the forum or it's Administration.

Regards

Admin.

Hi Admin,

I am happy to expand and explain.

When I joined we were few in number and most of us were very active on the forum making it interesting and attractive to new members. Some of us were also out there recruiting new members. As time went on some members contributed regularly or daily whilst others preferred to read and get involved occasionally. I respect each of those choices but we do need regular involvement from at least a core number of members.

You will also know that during the past few months I have been an infrequent visitor due to family matters which we discussed in private messages. However, on becoming more active again I noticed a number of friends and regular contributors were no longer actively involved. I don't know the politics, the rights or wrongs or even the difference of opinion but it is sad to see such active individuals no longer contributing.

My reference to financial support was simply to point out that I believe these absent members were often contributing to the forum financially and I hope we will follow their example. I am pleased to see one person has already shown an interest.

Finally, one of the core values or perhaps rules of the forum is showing respect for staff and others who do not always agree with our views. I feel of late we have been failing in this respect.

Sorry this reply is so long but I have tried to explain more fully my thoughts and feelings.

Many thanks

Bob

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi there,

I have always believed that it is an exercise in futility (almost on a par with a suicide note) to explain that you are leaving an organisation because you cannot make changes.  If you couldn't change anything when you were a member what can you possibly achieve after leaving?tap_fingers

With regard to the phrase "step up to the plate" I assumed that Bob was pointing out that the Forum may be a bit short of funds and that he was encouraging all of us to contribute financially to the running of the Forum; if this is correct, I applaud his efforts.champagne
At the moment the Forum is "free" and I hope it stays that way; even if I have to buy an ASOF T-Shirt for every member of my family! up!

Best regards,
drinksallroundbest_friends
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by prestbury Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:32 pm

All I can say is thank god for the continued efforts of Admin and the moderation team.

Running a forum is not easy as I know well enough with a couple that I admin on (not motor home orientated) but however people try to raise your hackles just be firm and remember that the basis of the forum is to allow interaction between auto-sleeper owners and others. Forum rules are for the members to abide and the Admin to adjudicate and should not allowed to develop into a free for all.

The golden rule is if people are not happy with the administration to go elsewhere and not spoil it for the majority, silent or otherwise. Certainly whilst the forum may retain its independence I don't see any problem in formulating closer ties with ASOC or Autosleepers as we all surely have one common interest.
prestbury
prestbury

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:28 am

I note there are 3379 registered members of this site. pc

If funds are needed to keep this forum viable and T shirts etc do not raise enough funds surely £1,00 or 50p or even 10p per member would be acceptable by all for the information and advice that is available here.

To save Admin from having to admin this (see what I did there!!) on registration a voluntary contribution via something like Pay Pal could be administered (good innit!!)

Free is good but ---------------------------- i'm lost now Over_Slept  time for bed sleep on pillow

detective I see smileys are restored. All is well

"H"

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:26 am

Cymro wrote:PHEW!!!

Excellent news!  Am delighted. Well done. And THANKS!

Cymro

Ditto !
Great news Admin topmarkstopmarkstopmarkstopmarkstopmarkstopmarks

and I'm delighted you are considering closer links with ASOC and A/S.

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Enn Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:40 am

I figure the advice I've received and pleasure gained from this forum is well worth a donation, so have done just that. Not that this is what this thread is all about, but thought I would put some money in my mouth as the saying goes - I think. scratch head

Enn
Enn
Enn
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:09 am

Donation are voluntary and help keep this forum going. Due thanks to Admin for the fine job that has been done to keep this place as it should be - plenty of good advice and banter. If you want to see how a forum should NOT be run then have a look at some others (not pointing fingers at anyone here, but a sample of other forums will show the difference).

I agree with Ian (Dutto) where the call to step up to the plate was simply a reminder to everyone that this place will not run on fresh air and enthusiasm alone. I do like the way that donations are completely voluntary on here and people are free to choose. Long may it continue and hope that this thread serves to remind people.

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:14 am

DuxDeluxe wrote:Donation are voluntary and help keep this forum going. Due thanks to Admin for the fine job that has been done to keep this place as it should be - plenty of good advice and banter. If you want to see how a forum should NOT be run then have a look at some others (not pointing fingers at anyone here, but a sample of other forums will show the difference).

I agree with Ian (Dutto) where the call to step up to the plate was simply a reminder to everyone that this place will not run on fresh air and enthusiasm alone. I do like the way that donations are completely voluntary on here and people are free to choose. Long may it continue and hope that this thread serves to remind people.
Hi,

can you point me in the direction of the donation page please?

Haydn

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:18 am

Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:08 pm

Thanks Paul

Have done the deed

"H"up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:29 pm

I just wanted to say a very heartfelt thank you to everyone who has donated, it's extremely kind of everyone involved. I must point out though, that donations are, and always have been totally voluntary and I hope my earlier posting was not inferring that it is expected.

This forum is quite unique in that it has never been about making money, it's more about it's members being part of a community and standing together through good and bad times, as well as helping one another as and where we can and sharing our love of Auto-Sleepers.

Anyone who has donated will be added to our list of donators over the weekend, those of you who have ordered merchandise these orders will be put in the post after the weekend. If anyone is waiting for items please be assured these will be with you soon as I have fell slightly behind with things over the last week or so.

Thank you Bob (Orian) for your response. Apologies if I had taken your comments out of context, especially as I thought at the time there must be some mistake as I've always felt I've had a good relationship with you in the past and thought I had somehow offended you hence my reason for clarification. 

Thanks again for all your kindness and support.

Best Regards

Ed

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi Admin,

Sorry if my first response lacked clarity.

I am glad to see the positive responses.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2011

Back to top Go down

Announcement - Page 3 Empty Annoucement

Post by newterry Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:25 pm

Hi Admin,
This forum has been a godsend and I only wish it had been around when we first bought our van. I've learned so much and it is the FIRST port of call if I've got a problem, no matter how big or small. 
It would be a sad day if the mindless bullies ( that is what they are) brought this fantastic resource to an end. The technical expertise available from the forum members is amazing and all that would be lost which would be a crying shame.

I have to admit, even as a 64 year old Granddad, that the thought of losing this forum brought a lump to my throat.

Like all the other contributors to this thread I hope the overwhelming support from us all will put the whole issue into perspective as there are a damn sight more people who benefit from it than those who don't 'get it'.
allthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbzallthumbz
Keep yer chin up, we're all right behind you and thank you for all your time and effort.
Terry
ps. I've just had a letter published in MMM Interchange (Summer edition, page 192) section regarding the Water Evac Pipe with specific references to this forum, that's how important this resource is !!

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by journeyman Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:22 pm

Great forum. The fact that as a regular browser of the site I was unaware of any issues within the admin team, I think is testament to the quality of the admin team....whoever they maybe. I do look forward to seeing how the closer cooperation pans out. Hopefully the site will remain a voice for the owners/users of the AS marque.

Well done all.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by TeamRienza Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi All,

Well, I am just back from a few weeks in France, what have I missed? sounds like an attempted coup!

That will teach me to go and enjoy myself.

I had not noticed any disharmony before I left and I cannot say I see any major change. loads of posts by the usual suspects.

My holiday was quite spoiled by the thought of all the missed posts i would have to read to catch up (360 Threads).

Like many I extol the virtues of the site to all and sundry and it is gratifying to hear how well respected it is for its expertise and Friendlyness (even by non AS owners)

I just wish to add my appreciation for the efforts and time of those who run the site.

I suppose next year I must stay at home in case I miss anything.

Davy
TeamRienza
TeamRienza
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Used to own a Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2006 Mk6

Back to top Go down

Post by Robbie Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:59 am

Like Davy Ive been awol for the best part of a month and now playing catchup on real life and all the work that goes along with it. This is our main site on the net regarding our motorhoming in general. Its run for the best interests of the community and not as a source of income unlike the majority of other sites therefore its here to benefit owners first and foremost. 
That said its time for another glass of that nice vino we transported home allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Cotswold

Back to top Go down

Post by Den and Colin Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:54 pm

My first look for a few weeks - ailing Mum and a nasty tendon injury due to falling down a step I didn't know was there:-(

Have just spent an hour researching fridge issues and before I logged off I thought, oh, I'll just have a look at this and - "arghh", I thought, ""please NOOOO. Please don't go ...."

So, now very relieved to see all is well and our valued source of info as newbies will still be here to guide us.  Lots of other people have already said all the positive things that needed to be said so I will just add this to reinforce the message -

This forum is fabulous and easy to use.  We have been really grateful for all the advice people have given without ever commenting on our obvious lack of knowledge.  This encouraged us to be able to ask what for many more experienced people may be daft questions.  So, once again - thank you to everyone but especially to Admin and others with a more active role for providing this great service.

Please don't think someone being away for days or even weeks means they aren't still supportive - sometimes the pressures of day to day life, work, caring responsibilities etc push other stuff to the bottom, but we will be back!!

Next job?  Find the donations page smile! 

Thanks ASOF wave  - Denise and Colin
Den and Colin
Den and Colin
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : duetto

Back to top Go down

Announcement - Page 3 Empty Please don't go!

Post by Andy R Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:36 pm

Admin,

I don't understand the reasons behind the problems anyone is having with the way you run this site.  I only know that this site has helped me on quite a few occasions, it is my first port of call if I have a problem, and I like to think I may have helped others here and there.

Please don't let this discourage you so badly that you give up, and waste all that hard work you have put in.  If some people don't agree with you, let them resign and start up their own sites (if they can) - I am sure you will find many, many others that do support you.

When I joined this site there were about 1900 members,  I don't know how many there are today but each time I have looked the number had grown, so you must be doing something right.

Also, you can't stop the site as I will never be able to get your sticker off my window!  hugegrins 

Best wishes and many thanks,

Andy
Andy R
Andy R
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Medallion
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy R Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:07 pm

Admin,

Posted a reply before reading all of the thread - that's me all over!

Very glad to read you are not packing it all in and heading off into the sunset - what would we have all done?

Thanks for a great forum drinksallround Cheers!

Andy
Andy R
Andy R
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Medallion
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Announcement - Page 3 Empty admin

Post by fisherman3 Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:22 pm

i echo all the comments that have gone before.a great and very helpfull site.i have tried to help some people on the site and have learned things myself.long may you continue and take no notice of the detractors.
 p.s. i am old but certainly not grumpy.
fisherman3
fisherman3

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper : rambler

Back to top Go down

Announcement - Page 3 Empty Announcment

Post by murph Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:42 am

Hi Admin,
   Sorry to hear that there is trouble at the Mill as one experssion would put it, sorry to lose Whisky and Deckie who were regular and knowledgable contributors but but if they disagree with you to the degree that they dont want to continue that is their perogotive, but to cause you so much hassle that you were thinking of shutting the forum down is unacceptable and you must be better without them, but please dont even consider closing the forum down.

Brian

PS I am no longer Brian 2 now that Deckie has retired.
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by hillwalker Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:06 pm

Andy R wrote:

When I joined this site there were about 1900 members,  I don't know how many there are today but each time I have looked the number had grown

Hi,

Just found this informative link  

what a busy site this is up! 

"H"

Last edited by hillwalker on Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry this link also shows my log in/out page so cannot show it.)

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dago Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:55 pm

Sorry for not commenting on this thread before, but I have been a tad busy travelling recently. 

Over the years I have gleaned so much information & help from ASOF, that it will leave quite a hole if you where not around Admin drinksallround  
Those folk that get "T'd off" are not worth wasting any time with, in my book.  So yes please tell em to ### off   hugegrins 

Admin, you reaally do put your heart & soul into running the website, supported by your merry band, so don't you ever think of packing it in, as there are many more of us that appreciate all that you do! best_friends 

I have always tried to do my bit when & where ever I have felt able to contribute anything, and put something back into the group, to repay what I have gotten out of ASOF.
And I will continue to do so. And as I'm not looking to change vans, that could mean that I'm going to be here for a long time yet big thumbs up

Best regards as always

Peter

Super Donator & ASOF Supporter
Super Donator & ASOF Supporter

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : 2007 Executive
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You can reply to topics in this forum