The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto-Sleeper Caravans

+5
shelldrake
Dutto
boxerman
Paulmold
roli
9 posters

Go down

Auto-Sleeper Caravans Empty Auto-Sleeper Caravans

Post by roli Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:09 am

Auto Sleeper Caravans.

For those of you who have not read the latest newsletter the subject of of admission of caravans to ASOC has come up again and a consultation period started.
The subject came up at the AGM I think the year before last where the idea was thrown out. I say this as some of you in ASOC may not attend the AGM.

The main against argument was Caravans take up more space which would reduce the amount of vans that could be accomodated on a rally area. I can understand this comment, however there are quite a few members who tow a car around behind their van to rallies and I dont see any difference here myself.

My own thoughts are there are other clubs who manage to take Motorhomes and Caravans without any problems, including the MCC (provided the member has previously owned a motorhome) so why is ASOC so different. In addition I dont think there would be that many caravans coming to the rallies so space may never be an issue.
If it became a problem then just organise other rallies as all the other clubs do.
The caravans may choose to organise a network of their own rallies. Would they ban motorhomes ?

Just something for members to think about and respond to Andy as he requests in the newsletter

These are my own opinions. This website is not a voice for ASOC (despite being offered) but the post is made as general information for ASOC members who are members
of this forum. ASOC Members can continue the discussion here if wished and all be be passed back to Andy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have posted the following in the Caravan Section of this forum:

When Auto Sleepers started to make caravans a vote was made in ASOC as to if they should be admitted to the club, and if so the constitution needed altering. The membership rejected the idea. The current committee thought that the subject should be put our to the full membership rather than just those that were at that AGM and have started a consultation with all members having the opportunity of having a say.

The purpose of this post is to ask you, AS Caravan Owners what your thoughts are

Other than being a member of ASOC and an active member on here I have no connection with the ASOC committee
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Caravans Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Caravans

Post by Paulmold Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:40 am

I'm not a member of ASOC , so my opinion won't matter in the slightest, but am a member of the C&CC and the CC, both of which organise rallies to which caravans and motorhomes are welcome. The only other single-make (caravan & motorhome) clubs I can think of are the Swift Owners Club & Lunar Owners Club who, like AS, manufacture(d) both caravans and motorhomes. Their clubs accommodates both, so why should ASOC be different? Their sub-titles on their websites are ...

'THE Club for all owners of Swift Group Motorhomes and Caravans'

'It is open to all those who have a Lunar, Venus or Chateau caravan or a Lunar motorhome'.

I'm sure there are many other one-make clubs out there catering for both types.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:48 am

Like Paul,
I am neither a caravan owner or an ASOC member. I was under the impression that ASOC stood for Auto-Sleeper Owners Club.
Surely if someone owns a caravan made by Auto-Sleeper then they are an Auto-Sleeper owner and should be eligible to join.
If not, then the club should change it's name to Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Club.
Discrimination at work here I think.
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:58 am

Hi there,

I have owned caravans, now own a Duetto but I am not a member of ASOC.

As most clubs and associations die due to poor active membership my attitude is "the more the merrier"; especially those who take an active part in an association's business.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Caravans Empty Caravans

Post by shelldrake Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:10 am

I'm with you Boxerman.
IF they have that ""attitude"" I for one will not join ASOC. even tho I have contemplated it.
shelldrake
shelldrake

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Sigma

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:11 pm

boxerman wrote:Like Paul,
I am neither a caravan owner or an ASOC member. I was under the impression that ASOC stood for Auto-Sleeper Owners Club.
Surely if someone owns a caravan made by Auto-Sleeper then they are an Auto-Sleeper owner and should be eligible to join.
If not, then the club should change it's name to Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Club.
Discrimination at work here I think.
Frank

Exactly my point Frank.... Ive said this repeatedly since this forum launched, rallies aside AS caravan owners probably still have a desire to be part of the owners club and to refuse them is downright discrimination... I also think it reflects very badly on Auto Sleepers for allowing this to happen in the first place. I'm glad to hear more interest is being taken into these owners who have brought into the Auto Sleeper brand as we all have.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EL Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:28 pm

To me also it speaks volumes about those who control the club and does nothing to encourage me to rejoin.
Are there any other known prejudices that we should be aware of before joining?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:56 pm

What everyone else has said, plus we are currently members of ASOC, and I do agree that they all seem very friendly and welcoming - judging from the one rally we have attended.

We've re-joined for 2016, but am not sure if we will continue after that. They seem to be interested in nothing else apart from rallies, and while this is not a criticism (since they can obviously do as they please) it makes the club extremely narrow and of little interest to anyone who is not an ardent rallier.

The newsletters are almost exclusively devoted to reports of previous rallies, and if you didn't attend there's not much point in reading them!!

To address the point at issue - of course they should allow A/S caravan owners to join the club, if (as Boxerman said) the name of the club has any meaning. Many caravanners are potential motorhomers anyway, as soon as they can afford one. We were/are certainly in that category!

Dave

(Equally my own opinion - for what it's worth. shrugg )
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:09 pm

Ricky wrote:To me also it speaks volumes about those who control the club and does nothing to encourage me to rejoin.
Are there any other known prejudices that we should be aware of before joining?

You have just responded to a post from 2 1/2 years ago.

This thread is relevant:

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t6585-caravans-in-asoc

below is an extract:

Re: Caravans in ASOC
Post by Peter Brown on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:20 am

This is really only the business of members of ASOC who know the context through reading their club Newsletter however:

The committee announced roughly 18 months beforehand that their would be a vote at the 2014 AGM and several times during that period invited comment from members - virtually none were received.

The Articles of Association were re-drafted to allow the membership of AS caravan owners into the club and a secret ballot was held during the AGM to approve the adoption of the re-draft.

Of those voting, 85% voted against, 13% for and 2% of papers were spoilt.

In my personal opinion the principle reason that members rejected the amendment was that over the years ASOC has adopted a style of rallying where many of the sites are unsuitable for caravans for several reasons but one being the extra space required for cars and awnings. Knowing the very limited number of the caravans that exist and seeing the minimal interest in the subject by caravan owners on this forum, I had no such concern.

I hope that readers who are not ASOC members can now understand how open and fair the process was and understand the democratic right of existing members to run their club in the way that they want too - I totally agree with Deka, if you have an interest you should join ASOC and have your say in the democratic process.

Peter

Peter Brown

Staff Member
Staff Member

Male

Posts Posts: 2212
Joined Joined: 2012-11-10
Member Age Member Age: 63
Location Location: Cheadle, Staffs
Auto-Sleeper Auto-Sleeper: Malvern
Vehicle Year Vehicle Year: October 2011

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:25 pm

My apologies for not checking the date before sending. However the inclusion in your reply of the words
"This is really only the business of members of ASOC who know the context through reading their club Newsletter" me to join.

Gromit said
"The newsletters are almost exclusively devoted to reports of previous rallies, and if you didn't attend there's not much point in reading them"
We like rallies and informal meets but as we are more about enjoying the meet and less about reading how others enjoyed their meet I guess it still is not for us.

Maybe more fun and more variation to be had from rejoining the CCC and attending some of their many and varied informal no need to pre book weekend meets?

Thanks for the info.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sun Dec 06, 2015 3:00 pm

Further the above, the News Letter Editor David is often extolling members to contribute. So what one read in the latest offering is up to the members to submit for inclusion.
Personally I like to see that any rally we have attended/run has met with the approval (or otherwise) of the members as all comments can only improve the rallying experience for attendees and marshals alike.
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down