The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

"up to" ASDA

+3
boxerman
DuxDeluxe
deckie
7 posters

Go down

"up to" ASDA Empty "up to" ASDA

Post by deckie Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:20 am

Hi All,

Is anyone (everyone) sick of these miniscule "up to" and "from" part of ....... 'get the suckers' signs ??

In ASDA's yesterday, I called out to Chris in a loud & clear voice "HAVE YOU NOTICED THE 'UP-TO' BIT" ..... she hadn't and nor had a number of woman standing close by !! ..... they were just as infuriated as us.

"up to" ASDA 2013-03-14130103_zpsc8ba7176

So many shops use this sensored1 system, I think it's time for a change in the Law !!

asda (groan smile! ) get that off my chest hugegrins

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

"up to" ASDA Empty Re: "up to" ASDA

Post by DuxDeluxe Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:36 am

Quite agree. Do they think that the punters are stupid? Rhetorical question, really - the big supermarkets a) take us for granted and b) regard us as cattle to be milked to death.

Example - special deals which are more expensive than the normal price
Example - "Three for four pounds" when each they are £1.20
Example - large jar of coffee which is more expensive per gramme than two smaller ones

Never give a sucker an even break............ sensored1

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

"up to" ASDA Empty Bit off topic

Post by boxerman Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:03 pm

DuxDeluxe wrote:Quite agree. Do they think that the punters are stupid?

Why not? We shop at ASDA and 75% of the customers are morons. Trolley left in the middle of the aisle while they peruse something on a shelf 10 yards away, (often sideways on) frozen food items left on shelves because they decided they didn't want it and were too lazy/stupid to take them back to the freezer, three or more abreast in the aisle standing gassing so no-one can get past. etc.etc.ect...

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:35 pm

boxerman wrote:
Why not? We shop at ASDA and 75% of the customers are morons. Trolley left in the middle of the aisle while they peruse something on a shelf 10 yards away, (often sideways on) frozen food items left on shelves because they decided they didn't want it and were too lazy/stupid to take them back to the freezer, three or more abreast in the aisle standing gassing so no-one can get past. etc.etc.ect...
Frank

So you've shopped at ASDA's in Folkestone then, Frank ?? scratch head hugegrins

We 'love' the sensored1 pushing a trolley and a pushchair, whilst talking on their mobile phones so angry

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi wave
boxerman wrote:Why not? We shop at ASDA
boxerman wrote:75% of the customers are morons.
Frank - stop digging lol4 lol4 lol4

I think we're getting close to the point where Admin will step in and delete stuff but I'll try and stay on then right side of the rules. hugegrins

I know what you mean though, but what do you expect when Asda plug "cheapest" as the only criteria. For what it's worth we're Asda customers as well. On the weekly shopping trip we go to Asda (for branded stuff), then to Sainsbury's for most of the "own brand" foods and then Morrisons for fresh veg! Why? well "quality" is the word (other opinions are available).

Funny thing - even to the layman the clientele are different in all three supermarkets. It would be interesting to see what a "Social Scientist" made of it. lol4

Brod

brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:10 pm

I speak no lies smile! Before I was made redundant (for the third time), we used to shop at Sainbury's (much better class of moron) but nowadays it's ASDA. £10 per weekly shop less and we don't usually buy the "smart price" stuff (we like to know which type of horse our beef come from). The local butcher is actually cheaper for meat and it's better quality, and the local Asian supermarket is best & cheapest for fruit and veg.

To get slightly back on topic, shouldn't "up to 1/2 price" be "down to 1/2 price"? it's a bit like those razor blades that were twice as thin scratch head

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:57 am

Hi there,

Agree entirely. allthumbz

One of the greatest things the EU has done for us is to make shops show the "Price per kilo" somewhere on the Price Tag! allthumbz

Since retirement we have checked EVERY price for those branded items that we MUST have. (e.g. Heinz Ketchup, Nescafé Gold Blend etc) and on numerous occasions the "OFFERS" and even the "BOGOF" deals are more expensive than some obscure sized container; usually on the bottom shelf.

"Caveat emptor" is as applicable now as it has ever been but we are at least in with a fighting chance if we take the time to look. allthumbz

If you see some old man lying down in Tesco in Skegness to peer at the price of something on the bottom shelf the chances are that it's me! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DuxDeluxe Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:18 am

"Other supermarkets/retail outlets are available"

Lets get away from specifics and look at it in general. They are all at it, whichever retail outlet, whatever they are selling and mostly to the mid/lower market, who, with a few exceptions who spend a lot of time lying down and peering at shelves in Skegness, have a target clientele who are either simply too busy to check (harassed housewife) or simply don't bother (admit it - many of us)

It happens elsewhere as well. "Duty free" is a good example. If it is duty free, it must be cheaper, yes? Not necessarily, especially not in that duty free paradise, Dubai. Checked out a nice citizen watch which was just over 200 quid in the shops. Checked it out at the Dubai "Duty free" 230 quid! Got home and 190 quid duty paid from Amazon (other online retail outlets are available)

Here ended the grump for today winks

DuxDeluxe
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ex Broadway Crown

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:20 am

Hi wave

boxerman wrote: shouldn't "up to 1/2 price" be "down to 1/2 price"?
Wouldn’t you think that they could employ somebody with a basic grasp of the English language?

“Up to half price” means that everything should cost half the previous price or less, does it not?

boxerman wrote:it's a bit like those razor blades that were twice as thin scratch head
Yes, another intensely annoying trend is to say “X times less” as with the razor blade example. Another example is “two times less sugar”. NO! It’s “half the sugar “ or “50% of the sugar”. :rolleye0013:

Brod.

brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:37 am

It's nice to see that

"EATS SHOOTS AND LEAVES"

still has an active following! hugegrins

Two nights ago I went to bed with a beatific smile on my face. Why?

My daughter had just spent twenty minutes of a phone conversation complaining about the standard of spelling and grammar in Britain; and had quoted as an example the argument her brother had had with his girlfriend on the use of "rest a while" and "rest awhile" when discussing the plaque on a commemorative bench!

It was nice to see that the zillions of pounds I spent on their education were beginning to bear fruit! up!

Best regards,
drinksallround

PS If anyone finds any grammatical errors in the above I don't care. "I only had a state funded education." is my excuse! allthumbz allthumbz

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:10 pm

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

Agree entirely. allthumbz

One of the greatest things the EU has done for us is to make shops show the "Price per kilo" somewhere on the Price Tag! allthumbz

Since retirement we have checked EVERY price for those branded items that we MUST have. (e.g. Heinz Ketchup, Nescafé Gold Blend etc) and on numerous occasions the "OFFERS" and even the "BOGOF" deals are more expensive than some obscure sized container; usually on the bottom shelf.

"Caveat emptor" is as applicable now as it has ever been but we are at least in with a fighting chance if we take the time to look. allthumbz

If you see some old man lying down in Tesco in Skegness to peer at the price of something on the bottom shelf the chances are that it's me! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround
I still think more should be done by government.
Price per unit should be shown as large as the Price.
Small print should be banned.
I often find price labels on racks not in the correct place, and out or date items.!
You certainly have to have your glasses on when shopping. read
mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by matchlessman Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:34 pm

If enough people did this it might encourage a change;

1) fill your trolley with the 'up to' goods then go to the checkout.
2) get all your shopping scanned through.
3) when they have scanned all the items, make them an offer to pay what you feel it should be.
4) if they insist on the price shown on the till, say"no thanks" and walk away, leaving them to re stack the shelves. You may wish to explain why at this stage so that they actually understand why you are demonstrating, and may do something about it.
5) repeat at regular intervals with as many friends as possible.

In law, the price shown on the shelves is an 'invitation to treat', to which you make an offer to buy. They may accept your offer, at which point you give them money and they give you the goods. see 'Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain v Boots Cash Chemists (Southern) Ltd' if you want a right rivetting read. This is demonstrated in real life when they refuse to sell you excessive quantities of drugs (aspirin) or alcohol if you look under 21.

Probably best to do it 'away from home' as you may want to go back....
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed May 01, 2013 2:07 am

matchlessman wrote:............. say"no thanks" and walk away, leaving them to re stack the shelves. ...........

Ooooh! I actually did it once!

Back in the mid-80's ASDA in Aberdeen had a huge poster at the Entrance that announced they would accept Credit Cards so I happily went around the shop and filled TWO trolleys to the brim.

When I got to the checkout I whipped out my Credit Card and was immediately told "What you must do is ........... " tap_fingers

Apparently, what I had to do was to walk the length of the shop back to the Entrance, stand in a queue of about a dozen people, hand over my Credit Card to a Supervisor, produce some independent ID, get a print-out of the Credit Card details (remember those?), walk back the length of the shop to the till and "Bingo!" I could use my Credit Card.

It was the "What YOU must do ...... " bit that niggled so I explained that actually I didn't need to do anything other than to put my Credit Card away and walk out of the shop whilst what ASDA must do was to replace all of the items in the trolleys!

The young lass at the checkout called for her Supervisor who again explained what I must do so I smiled nicely at the Supervisor, explained the facts to her and strolled out of the shop!

One for the good guys I think! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed May 01, 2013 2:28 am

PS

Another thing I did at ASDA was to write a cheque that was accidentally "Post Dated"! It was just before the Credit Card fiasco in January 1984 when I accidentally added an extra year and wrote the cheque out to be paid in January 1985.

Again, it was ASDA's approach that got up my nose! They phoned me at home and opened the conversation be telling me "You have a problem!"

I apologised but asked them to explain how I had a problem in view of the fact that:

1) The cheque had been witnessed and certified by an ASDA Supervisor when the date had been written on it.

2) The cheque had then been checked by the girl at the checkout and passed as being okay.

3) As the cheque was for more than £50 a Supervisor had also certified that the cheque was okay.

4) I had possession of the goods and the cheque would be honoured in January 1985.

I hung up the phone and went back to work.

ASDA, rather foolishly, sent a young man round to my home in a third-floor apartment in an attempt to get money from my wife. I was working in my home office and wasn't privy to the conversation but apparently after the young man had demanded "immediate payment" my wife said to him "Did you count the steps when you came up the stairs?"

"No." he replied. "There are seventy three of them," she said "but if I go and knock on that door over there you will only count one of them on your way back down to the street." She waited patiently for his response and after a few seconds he apparently understood the situation and left.

The kicker is that in January 1985 I was a bit strapped for money and had forgotten all about the £65 cheque that ASDA duly presented for payment and as a result my account was about cleaned out and we lived on porridge for a month! tap_fingers

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down