The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On tour with the family cat

+6
andygump
modelman
vwt4
-mojo-
Cymro
rodcdm
10 posters

Go down

On tour with the family cat Empty On tour with the family cat

Post by rodcdm Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Does any one out there bring their cat along in the motorhome?
We have always taken ours with us to a number of static vans we have owned and they have always adapted well.
So we would be interested of experiences of any one who regularly take their cat.
Just wondering if it would be worth the trouble?
Rodcdm
'98 Duetto
rodcdm
rodcdm

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

On tour with the family cat Empty Re: On tour with the family cat

Post by Cymro Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:34 pm

Too scared! Our small black cat absolutely loves the MH. It's parked at the back of the house, and as soon as I open a door, she's in. But we're too worried that if we take her with us, she'll go off mousing or exploring, and get lost or not find a safe haven. And what would we do when, for example, we go off on our bikes for the afternoon: lock her in the MH, or lock her out? We'd really like to take her, even if initially for a one-night stop. But we're too timid to try - especially as she's no about 5 years old.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:38 pm

IIRC it's been discussed here a few times before.

As others said last time, you need to know your cat's nature very well. Some are skillful escape artists, and if they are, almost nothing will stop them getting out, and they often won't "home" to a van in strange territory (some aren't even capable of coming to terms with a house move). I've watched a cat escape through a tiny opening in an awning and, once free, it was gone in seconds.

Having said that I have on a couple of occasions seen owners taking their cat for a walk on a harness and lead, though I doubt many cats would enjoy that!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Having been the owner (slave) to quite a few cats I find that they are much happier on there own home ground, we have taken one with us once but we seemed to spend all the time making sure it did not run off, so we now leave him at home with a neighbor or a family member (if we can find one brave enough!!!)
mike vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:08 am

Never again, not for us anyway, about 11 years ago when our black cat was young, we took him to an outdoor trade show for the week-end, somehow
managed to keep him 'in', but just as we & all the other traders were packing up & leaving, what did ours do, yep, shot off, several hours later, we had been
the only van left in the field when he finally decided to grace us with his presence!
We did however, get to know the area quite well for about 1/4 mile in all directions smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:29 am

modelman wrote:

Never again, not for us anyway, about 11 years ago when our black cat was young, we took him to an outdoor trade show for the week-end, somehow
managed to keep him 'in', but just as we & all the other traders were packing up & leaving, what did ours do, yep, shot off, several hours later, we had been
the only van left in the field when he finally decided to grace us with his presence!
We did however, get to know the area quite well for about 1/4 mile in all directions smile!

That settles it! Won't take the risk. Cats really do know when to hide at the most inconvenient time possible!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:47 am

Hi

When we lived in Germany we used to take our "Moggie", when we went Nordic Skiing down in the Saarland. She hated it,(the snow not the skiing), and as soon as we parked up the van, she was out the door like a shot, and we wouldn't see her for hours. She would then appear in the middle of the night miaowing to get in. smile!

When it came to leaving, like Modelman, we would be last to leave the Carpark, and we would be searching every farm building in the area, with my wife whistling the theme tune from Coronation St, worked every time, Amy would appear jump into the van as if she knew we were going home. smile!

You don't own a cat, they own you smile!

Andy up!
andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Qnapper Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:02 pm

Cymro wrote:
modelman wrote:

That settles it! Won't take the risk. Cats really do know when to hide at the most inconvenient time possible!

Why leave the thing you love on it's own ( think of the stress ) We have been taking our two cats in the MH with us for nearly a year now. One is 16yrs old the other 12yrs old, both travel in cat box whilst on the road and then have free run of MH when parked up. We have left them for 5/6 hours whilst visiting places and come back they are normally fast asleep and very happy. The "younger one" loves looking out the windows and watching people and of course the birds...... The litter box is on the shower tray.
We do have a safari room and allow them to investigate around whilst we are siting it it. We also have leads from them, but the "old boy" is not so keen. Take them with you and enjoy their company, they will enjoy yours.

John
Qnapper
Qnapper

Male

Member Age : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:29 am

Thanks John / Qnapper. That's encouraging. It makes me think that, perhaps when our cat gets a few years older it might be time to take the risk - she may have become more sedate and her wanderlust may have become diminished.

It's especially heartening to hear from you that you can teach an old cat new tricks, insofar as only recently have you introduced your two seniors to the joys of the MH.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by greetys Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:40 am

When we went away 2 weeks ago, there was a cat next door seemed quite at home, they took it out for a walk on a lead smile!
greetys
greetys

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Qnapper Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Cymro wrote:Thanks John / Qnapper. That's encouraging. It makes me think that, perhaps when our cat gets a few years older it might be time to take the risk - she may have become more sedate and her wanderlust may have become diminished.

It's especially heartening to hear from you that you can teach an old cat new tricks, insofar as only recently have you introduced your two seniors to the joys of the MH.

Cymro

My wife has put me right the young one is only 4 years old and being tortoiseshell cat she is most inquisitive.......... Try your cat in the MH whilst on your drive, let it get used to it.

Enjoy
Qnapper
Qnapper

Male

Back to top Go down

On tour with the family cat Empty Touring with the family cat

Post by rodcdm Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:27 pm

Well my question had a very good response!!
Picking between the lines I have decided that the best course of action is KNOW YOUR CAT.
I am encouraged - we will give it a try.......................
If you happen to pick up a lost British Blue on your travels it is ours!
She answers to the name of Tilly.
Thanks for all your comments,
Rodcdm
rodcdm
rodcdm

Male

Member Age : 84

Back to top Go down

Post by Vardy Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:11 pm

My cat only has 3 legs and is a bruiser, so I was looking into a tracker and found this website - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Vardy
Vardy

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Vardy wrote:My cat only has 3 legs and is a bruiser, so I was looking into a tracker and found this website - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hmmmm! I'm not sure!

The range is "up to 400 feet" and even with only three legs I think most cats could manage that distance in about 20 seconds! snigger

I suppose for the more reticent members of the Forum it would be better wandering about the camp-site looking at some kind of monitor, rather than walking along shouting "TRIPOD! HERE BOY! TRIPOD!" allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vardy Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:53 pm

It's usually c'mere you little *******!
Vardy