The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Waste Water issue

+6
Avontourist
Arron
grahamsb
Dave 418
Caraman
Eltel
10 posters

Go down

Waste Water issue Empty Waste Water issue

Post by Eltel Sun May 05, 2024 4:09 am

Nuevo 2017

Just been away a few days and emptied the waste grey water tank a couple of times with no issues, Moved on to second site and no facilities on leaving was unable to empty the tank so decided to empty it when I got home.

Arrived home opened waste tap and just a few drips of water, flushed some fresh water in via the sink and after looking under the motorhome water dripping of grey waste pipes so it seems the waste water is not getting to the waste tank.

Unfortunately health issues prevents me from tackling the job.

I guess it’s just a pipe loose or come off

Is this a quick fix by my normal servicing dealer ?

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Waste Water issue Empty Re: Waste Water issue

Post by Caraman Sun May 05, 2024 7:50 am

You haven't said whether waste water is getting into the tank from the shower or handbasin.  If it isn't and there are no signs of waste water leaking within the van, the external pipes into the tank could have disconnected.  It is also possible and perhaps more likely that the drain pipe from the waste water tank has become disconnected or is leaking so the water never reaches the drain tap.  It should be possible to see this by looking at the drain pipe under the van and giving it a tug.  It's also possible that the tank still has water in it but is not draining out through the tap due to debris in the pipe.  All of these matters are easy to put right.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Sun May 05, 2024 9:48 am

I had used the shower, hand basin and kitchen sink over the last 48 hours.
There seems to be no water leakage within the motorhome.

When I came to empty the waste tank there was just trickle.

I then filled the kitchen sink with water and still just a trickle.

I looked under the motorhome and the water was coming down the outside of the of one of the external pipes.

I once again checked and no water inside the motorhome.

I will need to get professional help as I am unable to lie on my back and look up as it effects my balance.

So I believe water is not getting to the waste tank.

I will today try letting water drain from both the shower tray and bathroom sink to see if the same happens.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun May 05, 2024 11:26 am

It's a shame you can't get under the van.  I wonder if a DIY minded friend can have a look as you may end up paying a professional to do something which is straight forward.  On mine I have had the waste drain pipe come adrift from the tank (its only a push fit) and I've had water dribbling out of the drain tap due to a blockage.  Both were easily fixed.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun May 05, 2024 11:38 am

We had this problem on the Rienza when we first bought it. I use a Gardena type adapter on the tap for a waste pipe on serviced pitches so I used the garden hose attached to it to back flush the waste pipe. When I disconnected the hose a torrent of gunky water came out.
During the summer we flush the whole waste system with grey tank cleaner. It has kept the wate pipe clear and keeps the smells from the tank in warm weather to a minimum.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Peter Brown and Caraman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by grahamsb Sun May 05, 2024 2:13 pm

I found on both my recent Auto Sleepers the plastic drain valve would often get blocked up. As suggested above, try back flushing it with a garden hose. This always worked for me.

Not only is the valve stiff and awkward to turn on and off, but if any food or coffee grains, etc., got into the tank, they would block the drain valve. I have now replaced this with a straight stainless steel ball valve. No more blockages and emptying the grey water tank is so much faster.
grahamsb
grahamsb

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Sun May 05, 2024 3:05 pm

Worth a try
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Sun May 05, 2024 4:23 pm

grahamsb wrote:I found on both my recent Auto Sleepers the plastic drain valve would often get blocked up. As suggested above, try back flushing it with a garden hose. This always worked for me.

Not only is the valve stiff and awkward to turn on and off, but if any food or coffee grains, etc., got into the tank, they would block the drain valve. I have now replaced this with a straight stainless steel ball valve. No more blockages and emptying the grey water tank is so much faster.
Many thanks for the tip.

The back flush worked.

Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Peter Brown and Caraman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sun May 05, 2024 4:29 pm

Eltel wrote:
Many thanks for the tip.

The back flush worked.

Terry
That's good!  Probably a cue to give the inside of the tank a thorough soaking in some waste tank cleaner.  It will dislodge all sorts of muck you didn't know is there.  It was like that on mine the first time I did it.  Unfortunately the muck will probably clog your tap again but at least you know how to fix it.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Sun May 05, 2024 4:41 pm

The adapter I have fitted is designed to fit on to a tap spout. It will depend on what drain tap you have I suppose. It did restrict the output to start with but I drilled it out.
No doubt like others I have an assortment of adapters for tap fitting and hose connectors.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arron Sun May 05, 2024 6:44 pm

You can always run your greasy water into a bowl then empty it into a nearby 'waste point'  if you are sufficiently mobile. That will stop your waste pipe from blocking. That's what we do after ours blocked.
Arron

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive SE 2.8L
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Avontourist Wed May 08, 2024 7:39 pm

I put 2 dishwasher tabs in the grey waste tank to help keep it clean .it helps keep the level sensors working correctly.
Avontourist
Avontourist

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed May 08, 2024 9:53 pm

Avontourist wrote:I put 2 dishwasher tabs in the grey waste tank to help keep it clean .it helps keep the level sensors working correctly.
 How?  Did you dissolve them first in a jug of hot water?

I like the idea, but can’t see how you can otherwise put the tablets into the tank. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed May 08, 2024 11:21 pm

The kitchen sink was slow to drain when we first bought the Rienza and dissolving a dishwasher tablet in a bowl of warm water did clear it.
We keep Fenwicks tank and pipe cleaner in the cupboard in the washroom to use when we are away if needed.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 09, 2024 7:09 am

Cymro wrote:

I like the idea, but can’t see how you can otherwise put the tablets into the tank. 

Cymro
I don't know if it was Avontourist but a member reported that before leaving a pitch they drained the waste water tank and then shut the drain tap, put a plug in the kitchen sink and filled the sink with hot water from the hot water tank and dissolved the dishwasher tablets in it.  Then pulled the plug so it all went into the tank.  Whilst driving to the next pitch or driving home, the solution in the waste water tank sloshed around and did its stuff and was drained out at the next location.  I have done this and it works but I'm fussy about weights and don't like the idea of 10 kg or so of water moving around at the back of the van.  The drill I've settled on is giving each plug hole a good flush with mains water from the garden hose as soon as we get home which seems to do the trick.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Cymro likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Thu May 09, 2024 7:46 am

Dissolve dishwasher tablet in a jug of boiling water then pour down sink(s) works fine, having some water sloshing about in waste tank when driving does the agitating, keeps flow from waste tank good and added benefit is waste sensors work better. Can be done anytime not just at end of trip

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Thu May 09, 2024 7:50 am

We do the dishwasher tablets, dissolved in hot water in the sink and then run down into the tank. It works well. No more nasty smells coming up the shower drain (which has no trap!) Then I drive home, and empty the tank at home into the sewer manhole in my drive. I don't notice 10kg. of water affecting the handling of my van any more than I notice the difference between a half full 60 litre fuel tank and a full or empty fuel tank in any of my vehicles. So long as you are not overloading the van and the tank straps are sound then I don't think there is an issue.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Thu May 09, 2024 8:03 am

The Bargee wrote:We do the dishwasher tablets, dissolved in hot water in the sink and then run down into the tank. It works well. No more nasty smells coming up the shower drain (which has no trap!) Then I drive home, and empty the tank at home into the sewer manhole in my drive. I don't notice 10kg. of water affecting the handling of my van any more than I notice the difference between a half full 60 litre fuel tank and a full or empty fuel tank in any of my vehicles. So long as you are not overloading the van and the tank straps are sound then I don't think there is an issue.
I agree with what you say but the handling characteristics of your Kingham will be a great deal better than my Nuevo with its very short wheelbase and long rear overhang which results in it being very rear heavy.  

Keeping the tank clean is the priority but I don't think the pipes leading into the tank should be ignored.  The flow rate from our hand basin is particularly slow and benefits from a good flushing from time to time.  The same with the three floor drains in bathroom one of which loops around a chassis member creating a U bend and therefore trapping waste water.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

The Bargee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Thu May 09, 2024 4:16 pm

I never thought the issue of waste water would last this long but hopefully a last comment on the subject. I am not sure about other builds but as much as the layout of our Rienza is ok one big flaw is the run of waste pipes.
The shower and washroom waste is directly above the grey tank. The kitchen sink is on the opposite side requiring the waste pipe to cross under the floor. Any engineering designer would cringe at the pipe run to avoid two chassis rails and a prop shaft. It has two curves in it like a normal sink trap but a lot shallower. If the  designers had any logic  they would fit a trap under the sink. 
As much as we try all known tricks the only cure to smells wafting back is to put the sink plug back in. This is not helped by the kitchen sink being behind the passenger seat. 
Do modern builds have a sink trap and do the traps fitted in the waste pipe work. think_smiley_46
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Thu May 09, 2024 4:44 pm

My 2011 Gloucester has similar to this on the sink waste, not sure about the loo basin, but still get smells from that after emptying tank.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.][You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Thu May 09, 2024 6:41 pm

I don’t think I have really noticed any difference to the handling of the motorhome whatever levels of water are aboard.
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Arron Fri May 10, 2024 2:13 pm

Dave 418 wrote: I never thought the issue of waste water would last this long but hopefully a last comment on the subject.
No such luck!

Maybe if I leave my sink plug out I'll disappear into a gravity well  scratch head
Arron

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive SE 2.8L
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Avontourist Fri May 10, 2024 8:57 pm

Cymro wrote:

Cymro
yes. Dissolved in a jug of hot water then pour down the sink .
Avontourist
Avontourist

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Malvern

Back to top Go down