The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Using phone for streaming

+8
Peter Brown
Dbvwt
RML
Rocky
The Bargee
Tinwheeler
Mike187
Toffee
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Using phone for streaming  - Page 2 Empty Re: Using phone for streaming

Post by Tinwheeler Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:37 pm

Glad to hear you got there, Toffee  up!
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:40 pm

Mine only works with Wi-Fi turned off, so I will leave it at that up!
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:48 am

v8oholic wrote:There’s more than one way of connecting a hotspot on a phone to another device, but if you don’t want to use a physical cable (and why would you) then the phone’s WiFi must be on, as there’s no other way for devices to connect to it. However it’s not acting as a WiFi client in this scenario, but as a bridge between the cellphone network and a temporary WiFi network which the phone creates. It’s trivial on an iPhone. Just turn on the hotspot and it does the rest.
Err, not sure you are correct on this. My android phone's hotspot works without the WiFi on because I'm using data as a source. When the phone hotspot is activated, then on a device I want to tether, my tablet for example, it sees the phone as a WiFi source, I tap on the icon on the tablet, enter the password if necessary and bingo it works. When sharing from my phone the only time I need the WiFi on is while Screen Sharing with a TV or similar.  I have big data on my phone so I don't need to use WiFi anywhere and while away in Europe I've tethered up to 2 tablets and a Firestick without using WiFi. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:06 am

What you’re describing is not incompatible what I said. What is being misdescribed as “turning the WiFi off” is simply telling the phone to disconnect from any local network it’s connected to in order to use the cellphone network instead. The WiFi receiver in the phone remains active the whole time the hotspot is operating.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:26 am

v8oholic wrote:What you’re describing is not incompatible what I said. What is being misdescribed as “turning the WiFi off” is simply telling the phone to disconnect from any local network it’s connected to in order to use the cellphone network instead. The WiFi receiver in the phone remains active the whole time the hotspot is operating.
Sorry, I don't recognise this, can you help me please it doesn't on my phone?
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

rgermain likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:19 pm

How do you connect to it then?
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:37 pm

v8oholic wrote:How do you connect to it then?
On my phone and using my monthly data package WiFi off and Hotspot on.  The third party device (tablet or Firestick) sees my phone hotspot as a WiFi source - but it is not On on my phone - click connect and off you go.  If you connect your phone to a WiFi source and activate the hotspot to provide a connection to something else then you don't need the phone, take it out of the equation and connect the third party device to that WiFi.
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:52 pm

Right, so you use WiFi to connect another device to your phone. So the only way that can happen is if the WiFi transceiver in the phone is operating the whole time. That doesn't mean the phone has to be connected to a WiFi network for that to be the case. In the case of a hotspot it is bridging between the cellphone network and a local WiFi network that it is creating.

Also there is a legitimate reason to connect two WiFi networks together. If you have a router and an external aerial you can switch it into bridge mode where it connects it to campsite WiFi, getting a much stronger signal than your phone would. But your other devices can still connect to your router. Some phones can also do this.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Sat Feb 24, 2024 1:46 pm

Here you go.... To connect third party device these are the settings.
Using phone for streaming  - Page 2 Img_2015
RML
RML

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:27 pm

I was going to keep my uneducated nose out of this but….

RML, I’m guessing you have an Android like me that needs the WiFi setting turned off in order to turn the hotspot function on. In my head I’ve always thought this has meant that WiFi is completely inactive on my phone.
What V8 is saying now makes sense to me as shown by him and also Peter Brown on a top end Android.
My take (be easy on me, as I say I’m uneducated on such things!) is that although WiFi on our phone shows off, it is actually running in the background for certain functions.
Hope that all makes sense.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:25 pm

Dbvwt wrote:I was going to keep my uneducated nose out of this but….

RML, I’m guessing you have an Android like me that needs the WiFi setting turned off in order to turn the hotspot function on. In my head I’ve always thought this has meant that WiFi is completely inactive on my phone.
What V8 is saying now makes sense to me as shown by him and also Peter Brown on a top end Android.
My take (be easy on me, as I say I’m uneducated on such things!) is that although WiFi on our phone shows off, it is actually running in the background for certain functions.
Hope that all makes sense.
All sounds a bit complex to me David. Do I really care if Wi-Fi is running in the back ground? don't think so, As long as I have Mobile Data and can connect to my phone data, that's all I want.

Some on here like to be experts! but I am with you David. Phone tells me to switch Wi-Fi off so I do.smile!  Never let's me down here in UK and France.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:57 pm

I have a Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro Android phone

It will hotspot very effectively from 4G or whatever wifi I am on.
If I want to hotspot from 4G I turn wifi off and it works fine.

My phone will also let me hotspot from wifi in this case I turn 4G off.
This has an advantage when on a paid for wifi that only allows one device.
I have just clocked my house wifi on my phone at 138Mbps download and 21Mbps upload
I have then connected my laptop to my phone hotspot and clocked the wifi speed my laptop is getting as 70Mbps download and 21Mbps upload, which I think is very good. 
I have found that using my phone outside the van to receive wifi or 4G and hotspot it to my fireTV stick can sometimes be the difference between having a watchable stream or not. 
However, when 4G is too week I usually take out my phone sim and put it into my Motorhome Wifi 4G to Wifi Huawei router which gives a much improved reception from the roof receiver. I have fitted a sim adapter ribbon cable to the router which enable me to put my nano sim in the cable external to the router which normally would have a standard sim internal. So I avoid a second contract for motorhome 4G receiver.

Using phone for streaming  - Page 2 Img_2019

Male

Vehicle Year : 2017

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Panko Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:34 pm

Hi, I have a Mercedes autosleeper devon conversion 2010 with a HD tv & fee view which still works on the old analogue aerial.
My tv has hdmi sockets can I put a Amazon fire stick in it & stream off my iPhone as I lose the digital signal off grid??
Do I need to upgrade the old analogue aerial??
Sorry to sound cave man style but this is all new to me & not too techy??
Thx in advance! blush
Panko
Panko

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Sprinter 315 Devon
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:37 am

Panko wrote:Hi, I have a Mercedes autosleeper devon conversion 2010 with a HD tv & fee view which still works on the old analogue aerial.
My tv has hdmi sockets can I put a Amazon fire stick in it & stream off my iPhone as I lose the digital signal off grid??
Do I need to upgrade the old analogue aerial??
Sorry to sound cave man style but this is all new to me & not too techy??
Thx in advance! blush
Yes it should work if your phone has a Hotspot facility and no the aerial is fine, it already works and what have you got on your house and does that work?  The firestick will need a usb power supply, some TVs can provide this but I personally would use another source. 
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Peter Brown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Mar 05, 2024 9:45 am

Yes the Firestick takes quite a bit of current and can be very iffy if powered by appliance USB ports such as found on laptops and TV's
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2