The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - -

+6
gassygassy
Paulmold
executiveshaun
Dave 418
burlingtonboaby
andydiamond
10 posters

Go down

Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - - Empty Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - -

Post by andydiamond Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:08 pm

Hi All, I wasn't sure where to put this, but I'm (A) an old man, and (B) Grumpy (now) so here goes - - -

My Autosleeper Executive has been reliable and excellent all round for the 12 years we have been lucky enough to own it,

I have all 15 M.O.T. certs, only 33K miles from new, every year she has flown through the test - - - then this year,a month ago, a small cloud appeared on the horizon - - - it still passed the test, but with an advisory for corrosion on the driver's side inner sill.

So off I went to my local bodyshop, and the boss and myself checked it out - - - after some careful proggling with a pointed tool, 

OH MY GOD - - - it was looking like a Swiss cheese!  In fear and trembling we approached the passenger side inner sill - - - Yep, it looked the same after a gentle poke about - - - Now in for repairs, first side done, £400 quote finished up at £600, now other side is being repaired, £600 again - - - (I am not complaining about the garage, this was a LOT of work, and it is being done properly)

Now for the "grumpy" bit - - -I am surprised and dismayed at the amount of work needing doing, I thought at was "like new" for the most part, and with the low mileage it should have been. We have always taken good care of the van, even to the point of not taking it out in the winter months because of the salt on the roads - - - the rest of the van is great, but Fiat/Peugeot have done a lousy job with rustproofing the cab from new - - -

I would recommend anyone owning, or thinking of buying a van with a Fiat cab over 10-15 years old, to get it on a ramp and have a VERY close look at the inner sills before purchase or mot - - -  or is it a case of "They all do that sir" ?

We are of course having the work done, Leo has been a good reliable servant for us for twelve years or so, and I am not letting her down now - - - But with a bit of extra thought/effort at the factory, this would never have happened in the first place!!

Regards, Andrew.
andydiamond
andydiamond
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Executive

executiveshaun and Phoboff like this post

Back to top Go down

Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - - Empty Re: Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - -

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat Sep 02, 2023 6:20 am

Thanks for that wee bittie information Andrew, hope you get many more years in your van.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - - Empty Re: Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - -

Post by Dave 418 Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:15 am

I fully sympathize with you Andrew having had the same issues with our Duetto. When we bought it there were no advisories on the past MOTs because the rust was not structural up to that time. After a couple of years of travels here and on the continent a stone chip followed by a cracked windscreen revealed rust in one door pillar.
Being an older Transit I exspected rust issues but it was heartbreaking to see what the body shop showed me. I have owned cars within my budget that came with rust in the past and that didn’t really matter but I found the rust issues in the Duetto harder to swallow.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - - Empty rusty executive

Post by executiveshaun Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:52 am

i am searching for a new good executive so know what you are saying(i have spent a lot of time on my back under supposed rust free models!
My favourite was a 2001 with a galvanised chassis.
I am of the opinion that the quality slowly reduces(fabrics , cabinetry etc) from then going forward ,and why they stopped putting  
a galvanised chassis i don't know.
Autosleepers are legendary for quality but it does feel like they took some unfortunate cost cutting decisions at times.

So guys if anyone knows of a very clean fairly priced executive X reg onward please let me know. I want one that will last me out.
Thanks

Shaun
executiveshaun
executiveshaun

Male

Auto-Sleeper : executive
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:56 am

I've never seen or heard of AS using galvanised chassis on any model.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

gassygassy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by executiveshaun Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:04 am

Hi Paul
You rant the first to say that, i owned one for 15 years and was surprised to find it wasn't galvanised on newer ones.
Mine was a 2001 on a y .
Do you think it wast standard ever ?
I think mine was from the days when they imported the cabs back to back with a short chassis they removed ?
executiveshaun
executiveshaun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by executiveshaun Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:06 am

ps it didn't stop the cab rusting
executiveshaun
executiveshaun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by gassygassy Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:11 am

On a couple of 'few years old' motorhomes I have owned I have jacked it right up as high as I could, and got underneath and sprayed warmed waxoyl into all the sills and chassis members. If you gently warm a tin of waxoyl on the lowest heat in your kitchen (having encouraged wifey to go and do some shopping) it will go all runny. You can then pour it into one of those £10 - £20 garden sprayers with a lance and squirt it all over the chassis and your face, arms and clothes and the driveway - unless you put down a tarpaulin or old sheets.
Neither you nor the vehicle will go rusty. It will take you two weeks of washing yourself in petrol to get it off. . . . . .. but if you are going to keep the vehicle long term, or if you have bought one that's say 5 years old and not yet rusty, it's well worth doing.
I have noticed that on new -ish Transits, and Mercedes chassis they have some rust proofing stuff emerging from the chassis holes, which is a good sign.

And Andrew @andydiamond think of it this way: £1200 was well spent. It would cost you £10,000 to change it at a dealer for the same make and model and year, about the same to change the clutch, and as my granddaughter has just found out, if you were caught driving without insurance even though you had paid for insurance and were certain that you were insured and the insurance company cancelled it without telling you. Plus any pending Police prosecutions.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : 1 Bourton 1 Polensa
Vehicle Year : various

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:14 am

Shaun , What model was it that was galvanised,  was it the executive on your profile?

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by executiveshaun Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:28 am

it was a 2001 executive on a y plate . Four birth . it is still local, would try to buy it back but fear it may have cab rust and i want a bigger engine (it was 2.5 without turbo). Also i am o c d with covering seats and keeping everything tip top and i think it would upset me if it had been let deteriorate . Mad isn't it
executiveshaun
executiveshaun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:47 am

I really don't know how your Executive was galvanised,  googling only shows that all Sevel vans/chassis were galvanised from 2007. You could of course go for the 50th anniversary Executive built in 2010/2011 . These command big money , usually around the £40k mark although there is one in Fife for sale on Facebook for £35k.

Donator
Donator

Male

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - - Empty Galvanised Chassis

Post by executiveshaun Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:38 pm

I am starting to wonder if it was a special, maybe an option on 40year anniversary ? as most people are surprised and it would explain the difficulty i am having finding another. I must take a pic if i pass it to show people (it is local ) . As i said owned it for 15 years and was hands on so knew it inside out.
I looked at the 50th anniversary but was a bit disappointed. Powder coated ladder and roof rails and i like the old real wooden cabinets and the seat material that would be tough enough for a coach that we used to expect.
A van that can last indefinitely is my ideal (with careful use and very good maintenance of coarse).

SHAUN
executiveshaun
executiveshaun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:22 pm

I would recommend anyone owning, or thinking of buying a van with a Fiat cab over 10-15 years old, to get it on a ramp and have a VERY close look at the inner sills before purchase or mot - - -  or is it a case of \"They all do that sir" ? wrote:...with a bit of extra thought/effort at the factory, this would never have happened in the first place!!
Unfortunately they all do rust.  Our motorhomes are based on light commercial vehicles, designed for a life that is nasty, brutish and short. And made down to a price too, so no extras such as rustpoofing.  It's a pity the converters (Auto-Sleeper) didn't spend a bit more on rust proofing the base vehicles as they must have been aware that most motorhomes are kept for many years and avoiding rust would be a good sales pitch. But perhaps the initial purchasers of motorhomes don't plan on keeping them for more that two or three years, so they wouldn't be bothered about paying for rust proofing either.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by orac Wed Sep 06, 2023 4:52 pm

Planned obsolescence at work. Longevity = reduced sales.
orac
orac

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - - Empty rust proofing

Post by executiveshaun Wed Sep 06, 2023 7:16 pm

My understanding is that , back in the day , auto sleepers claimed to have a better paint job with extra layers to aid longevity but i seem to remember them changing hands.
Was that the start of cheaper materials and cost cutting over quality ??
Maybe someone with a better memory could enlighten us
executiveshaun
executiveshaun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slow-Lane Wed Sep 06, 2023 9:10 pm

executiveshaun wrote:My understanding is that , back in the day , auto sleepers claimed to have a better paint job with extra layers to aid longevity but i seem to remember them changing hands.
Was that the start of cheaper materials and cost cutting over quality ??
Maybe someone with a better memory could enlighten us
I don't remember AS claiming a better paint job. Certainly their Boxer-based vans suffered the same peeling paint as all the other Peugeot Boxers of the same vintage.
Slow-Lane
Slow-Lane
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by executiveshaun Thu Sep 07, 2023 9:06 am

I do remember the claim but not who made it,ie it could of been a salesman stretching the truth but my interest in auto-sleepers is 30 plus years old and that was one fact (or so i believed )that drew me to them ,
It would be a shame if it turned out to be not true.
I do find that it is hard for the average man to research anything pre google.There seems to be a view that if google can't find it then it doesn't exist !
 Does anyone else have any recollections ?
Shaun
executiveshaun
executiveshaun

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:56 pm

My research  over the last 18 months, is AS chassis came from Peugeot without protection. 
Often many months standing in a field. Certainly applies to vans up to 2005 that i have see.
A few were under sealed by owners.
those are the ones to look for.
 When i bought a Fiat 124S in Malta  1972 ,the first thing i did was get it under sealed.!

My under sealed  from new Symphony arrives tomorrow.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by executiveshaun Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:29 pm

That still leaves me with an auto sleeper executive that i owned for 15 years that had a galvanised chassis . i know they imported the cabs back to back with a short chassis joining them . This was to reduce import costs at that time . The short chassis was removed and a full chassis fixed higher up. Now how mine was galvanised and others not is a question i wish someone could answer then i can switch off that subject. 
Anyone ??
Shaun
executiveshaun
executiveshaun

Male

Back to top Go down

Magic dissolving Fiat/Peugeot cab - - - Empty rust never sleeps

Post by Intransit Tue Sep 19, 2023 5:45 pm

If it makes you feel better, last I year spent nearly £2,000 on my amethyst,1996 year,inner and outer wings,paint and coachline..but after eight years of ownership I am so impressed with the Quality of the rest of the vehicle,  it  has  been very good value ,especially compared to other makes,so definitely worth the investment , and yes, now have shares in waxiol. the lesson for me is if the outer wing are starting to rot, chances are the inner wings are in need of attention as well..

j.c.
Intransit
Intransit

Male

Auto-Sleeper : amithyst
Vehicle Year : 1997

Rcarroll and Slow-Lane like this post

Back to top Go down