The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lift up cooker glass

3 posters

Go down

Lift up cooker glass Empty Lift up cooker glass

Post by besty Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:50 am

We had to replace the glass cooker top on our 2002 Nuevo last year because of a broken hinge and recently the hinge on the new glass has not worked and we have to prop it up with a stick! It was a real pain to replace the glass last time so can anyone suggest a better solution to holding the top up when cooking, e.g. type of bracket perhaps similar to the bracket that holds the sink worktop up, as we don't want to have to change the glass top yet again.
besty
besty

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 2001 model

Back to top Go down

Lift up cooker glass Empty Re: Lift up cooker glass

Post by roli Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:29 pm

Can you rig something up using a Turnbuckle ? recently saw this done, not on a Nuevo though. Our resident Nuevo convertor (Murph) may be able to offer advice when he sees your post
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Lift up cooker glass Empty cooker lid

Post by murph Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:17 am

Hi Besty,
I thought I had posted somthing about this but I assume I did not send it. On our van both the cooker and sink lid have spring loaded hinges which hold the lids up and I suspect that either the springs in the hinges are broken or weak if this is not the case when you changed the cooker lid did you use the same thickness of glass, as if it is thicker and therefor heavier it may be too heavy for the springs to support. Our vehicle is a 2004 Lancashire (Marquis special version of the series1 Neuvo). If neither of these apply, Roli's suggestion of a turnbuckle should work, I have rigged a temporary thing with double sided tape to give you an idea what I would do. Yours of course should use a long screw and some glue to hold the block in place. But do look at the hinges first.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by besty Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:16 am

Thanks Murph. When I replaced the cooker glass last time we used the appropriate replacement from the manufacturers. We had to take the cooker out of its housing to get the cooker lid off and it was a right job! Dont want to do that again so I'll look at ways of holding the lid up. The suggestion you make - thanks for going to the trouble of doing a mock-up and photographing it for me - is along the lines I'd been thinking. I also thought of using the same spring loaded clip which holds the sink lid up but attaching it horizontally to the outside of the bathroom wall.
besty
besty

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by murph Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:28 am

Hi Besty,
I havent seen the retaining clip that you refer to because as I said our lid is spring loaded, but I would like to see photo of it just to fill in this gap in my knowledge.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down

Lift up cooker glass Empty lift up lid

Post by besty Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Hi, I can't upload a photo - sorry but the website is too devious for my tech skills despite trying for ages. However I have now fitted a catch which isn't spring loaded and is actually designed for a sink lid. This works a treat!
besty
besty

Male

Back to top Go down

Lift up cooker glass Empty Photos

Post by murph Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:31 am

Hi Besty,
I sometimes have trouble uploading, but I find if I am persistant and try again later photos will usually upload eventually. Can anyone with better computer knowledge than me tell us why photos sometimes fail to upload first time, is it because the site is too busy, or is there some other reason and how can we get over the problem.

Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Back to top Go down