The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Casting a film to a firestick

+3
groundhog
Greyhound
Sally
7 posters

Go down

Casting a film to a firestick Empty Casting a film to a firestick

Post by Sally Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:07 am

I think I read on here a comment about how you can ‘cast’ a downloaded amazon film onto a firestick, to watch on the tv.

I have an iPhone, with the amazon prime video app, which I’ve used to download a few films onto the phone.  Can anyone explain in very simple terms how I can play the film through the firestick which is in the Avtex tv.

Many thanks
Sally
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Casting a film to a firestick Empty Re: Casting a film to a firestick

Post by Greyhound Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:21 pm

You just need a casting app:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/video-tv-cast-fire-tv-app/id979567301

To be honest if you have an iPhone you're probably better off simply getting the Apple HDMI cable so you can plug the iPhone straight into the Avtex.

We do it a lot and it works really well.  Then you can also stream movies etc if you have a good signal without needing to setup hotspots etc.

If you do go this route, get the official Apple connector as the cheap Chinese copies quite often fail to connect.
Greyhound
Greyhound

Male

Member Age : 53
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Wed Sep 09, 2020 1:37 pm

Greyhound wrote:You just need a casting app:
https://apps.apple.com/us/app/video-tv-cast-fire-tv-app/id979567301

To be honest if you have an iPhone you're probably better off simply getting the Apple HDMI cable so you can plug the iPhone straight into the Avtex.

We do it a lot and it works really well.  Then you can also stream movies etc if you have a good signal without needing to setup hotspots etc.

If you do go this route, get the official Apple connector as the cheap Chinese copies quite often fail to connect.
That’s great thanks. 

I’ve got a MiFi and data only sim, played through the Firestick. It’s to replace the poor aerial. But someone mentioned that if you watch a downloaded amazon movie it saves using the data. I just can’t remember what they said, but it may have been an app. 

I’ve had a look at the app you linked to, but it suggests that mirroring etc is a paid for add on.  I might have got that wrong though.

Thanks for your help
Sally
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:35 pm

Never really ran this one to ground. I have a Huawei P20 pro phone which has mirroring built in so assume it should mirror either to my firestick or any other suitable dongle plugged in to the hdmi on the Avtex TV without additional apps. 
Up to now have used the HDMI cable but it is a bit of a faff as with my phone anyway you cant charge it and use the output at the same time hence the desire to go down the casting route. Plus I don't want cables everywhere. I want simple! up!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:18 pm

Might be getting this all wrong, but if you have downloaded a movie via Amazon prime….and you have therefore such an account….surely when you log in to your Amazon prime on your fire stick you should be able to access downloaded stuff which is already on your prime account?  Therefor negating the need for using other bits of tech? 

I don’t mean to confuse anyone….it might be me that is confused lol
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford

Davidh likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:27 pm

Just watched a young lady giving a tutorial, she may as well have been talking Dutch as I didn't understand any of it, I knew I was getting stupid in my old age but I must be getting worse hugegrins
Thanks, that does make sense, I have yet to plug the firestick direct to the avtex but will see if it works.
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Newvo likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:37 pm

I haven’t done it for a while (so don’t ask me how!) and I’ve got an Android phone but I’ve cast downloaded Prime movies from my phone straight to my Avtex TV, no wires etc.. There is a setting in the TV menu for this. I guess it depends on the model of Avtex you have, mine is a smart version about 2 years old.

Last edited by Dbvwt on Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:27 pm

Lorfal wrote:Might be getting this all wrong, but if you have downloaded a movie via Amazon prime….and you have therefore such an account….surely when you log in to your Amazon prime on your fire stick you should be able to access downloaded stuff which is already on your prime account?  Therefor negating the need for using other bits of tech? 

I don’t mean to confuse anyone….it might be me that is confused lol
That is a very good point  scratch head
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Jul 02, 2023 6:27 pm

Thanks Dbvwt,
Thereby hangs the issue. mine is not too smart a bit like me and getting a bit old in the tooth. Works fine via the hdmi cable just trying to be a bit clever. snigger
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:02 pm

You could also save on data by streaming using standard definition . It’s when you start to stream in HD that data is eaten up. I use my phone rather than a mifi. I was getting a better data package than what I had on the mifi.

Am I correct in that there is also a time limit of availability on your downloaded movie? 30 days to watch it and it’s gone?

Lorraine
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Fairford

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jacobite Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:43 pm

I think there's a few ways to get the result you are looking for. If it's not for live TV/Movies, but for watching downloads etc, I used to put a lot of stuff on a USB HDD before we left. I'm now using an unlimited data sim from Voxi at £10. Installed a Poynting 5-in-1 antenna on the roof and HUAWEI B535-232 router, combined cost £155. Firestick on the TV and with my fav apps, I've got everything streaming perfect. Even hooked up an independent switched, fused 12V power supply to keep the grandson entertained while we are on the move.
The Jacobite
The Jacobite

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Jul 02, 2023 8:09 pm

Interesting just tried to connect, phone connects, sound connects but no pictures. Hmmmm:scratch head:
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Mon Jul 03, 2023 4:02 pm

This any help?
https://youtu.be/Vcn_9oUHC4o
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Mon Jul 03, 2023 6:59 pm

Thanks RML, so many good videos on YouTube

My Huawei is android so found the fire stick right away the issue I have now is it has volume but no pictures from anything downloaded although it does show the phone screen. Has to be something simple but I will figure it out 😁
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down