The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Easy money..

+4
crisp
Peatlander 2
willy eckerslike
bikeralw
8 posters

Go down

Easy money.. Empty Easy money..

Post by bikeralw Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:36 am

Fed up with potholes in the road and general crumbling infrastructure, and being told there's no money to fix it?
I have the answer.
I've recently booked flights to New Zealand and have found out that in October the government there introduced a tourist tax, payable individually online by every foreign visitor, without a receipt they won't let you in.
Over 2 million tourists a year will now pay 44 dollars each, about £25. That's 50 million quid.

Now I'm told we have over 35 million visitors a year here in the UK, at twenty five quid each that could raise a cool billion pounds.
Think I should sent this suggestion to Boris?
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Easy money.. Empty Re: Easy money..

Post by willy eckerslike Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:59 am

Great idea,the government would get the extra billion but I fear we would still have the potholes !!!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper : Devon
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:53 pm

Don't matter which party is in power, if they find money it's used to their ends not ours. 

My ol dad used to say "the desire to be a politician should preclude them from ever being one". I agree! Linings for pocketses, anyone?
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:47 pm

As far as politicians are concerned a tourist tax should be a great idea as there are no votes to be lost.
The only folk who will pay it don't have a vote..
Win win.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peatlander 2 Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:29 pm

Win win indeed. But only if the monies raised are used for the right purposes, ie, to benefit the nation (pothole infilling would be a huge benefit) but I see politicians in charge spending the money on a white paper to discuss how to have a meeting to discuss the White paper, earmarking the money.....

Cynical, much?
Peatlander 2
Peatlander 2
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:37 pm

I just hope the government in New Zealand stick to their word and use my money wisely.
IVL- International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy

In a statement, Kevin Davis, tourism minister, New Zealand said: “The IVL is an investment in New Zealand. It is expected to raise over $450 million over five years, funding projects to ensure our country and our people get the best from tourism growth. Our international visitors will be contributing directly to the infrastructure they use and helping to protect the natural places they enjoy.”
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by crisp Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:15 pm

What you are neglecting to realise is that the administration of this scheme would be particularly difficult .I estimate that it would cost 1.5 million by the time we had set up the appropriate ministry, the departments, employ the "right" people etc.

But in principle is it a good idea?

Yes minister
crisp
crisp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:23 pm

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Lots of urban roads in British Columbia have is a channel running alongside the roads made of concave sections about 3 feet long. This is the place where all the cables and pipes run so if anything needs repairing or replacing just lift out the relevant pieces and replace it afterwards, No need to dig the road up at all! So simple really.

A tourist tax in Cornwall would be very welcome please!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:38 pm

bikeralw wrote:Fed up with potholes in the road and general crumbling infrastructure, and being told there's no money to fix it?

Easy solution Al, call your local council and tell them you are concerned about road safety and would like a speed hump fitted ( over the pothole! )  The following day stand in amazement as 6 x 10 tonners full of tar arrive and an army of road workers  to construct the Berlin wall  of road speed humps,  filling the pothole in the process - job done!     Must come from a different budget, probably sponsored by local garages and suspension manufacturers.......
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:59 pm

groundhog wrote:Lots of urban roads in British Columbia have is a channel running alongside the roads made of concave sections about 3 feet long. This is the place where all the cables and pipes run so if anything needs repairing or replacing just lift out the relevant pieces and replace it afterwards, No need to dig the road up at all! So simple really.

A tourist tax in Cornwall would be very welcome please!

How would you get those who pitch on the North Cliffs and similar places to pay?confused3
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:01 pm

Folk who hire vans or buy cheap old bangers then freedom camp up and down the country are the main reason NZ has brought in this tourist levy. The amount of litter and mess they leave behind has got the locals demanding something is done.
The only successful way to collect this tax is at a national level, at the point of entry to the country.
It's not going to work expecting local guesthouses or campsite owners to collect it, the main culprits will end up not paying. 
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down