The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members Ages In Profiles & Donations

+29
rose49f
pat and jim
Justus2
sapper997
Miss DaisyMay
Maasai Warrior
Paramedic
paul bullock
rgermain
crosgor
Mike187
Kingham
bikeralw
nuevoboy
daisy mae
NORGIL
Askit
AndyRoyd
chrisk
brodco
Paulmold
rogerblack
inspiredron
Peter Brown
roli
dbroada
Gromit
burlingtonboaby
Admin
33 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Members Ages In Profiles & Donations Empty Members Ages In Profiles & Donations

Post by Admin Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Member Age

When the forum was initially launched we requested members filled in their age & birthdays, sometime ago we removed the birthdays as people seemed to have lost interest in wishing other members a happy birthday (common etiquette on most forums) in addition to this, some members have commented or contacted me suggesting their "Age being displayed" is a security concern, quite how anybody would think this I'm really not sure, anyway in response I have now removed members ages from their side profiles.

Donations

A quick thank you to those of you who have purchased stickers & made donations. As always thank-you for your support, some of you are second time & even third time donators which is very humbling. 

When donating please be sure to make a note of your username in the message section of the PayPal payment so I know who the donation is from. If your profile has not been changed to show you Donator status then this is most likely the reason. if this is the case then please message me to make me aware as a couple of you have done, Thank You.

Regards

Ed

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Members Ages In Profiles & Donations Empty Re: Members Ages In Profiles & Donations

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:05 pm

Just turned 68 as well Ed, nice timing.  hugegrins
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Members Ages In Profiles & Donations Empty Re: Members Ages In Profiles & Donations

Post by Gromit Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:21 am

That's a pity Ed!

I'm 74, and was quite happy for my age to be shown. When I made a stupid comment our lovely members would look at my age, and make sympathetic noises about the poor senile old sod.

Now they will just think I'm daft!!  Whistle1  lol4
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Gromit wrote:That's a pity Ed!

I'm 74, and was quite happy for my age to be shown. When I made a stupid comment our lovely members would look at my age, and make sympathetic noises about the poor senile old sod.

Now they will just think I'm daft!!  Whistle1  lol4
I've always liked to see ages for this reason. I might give a different reply to an 80 y.o. with internet problems than I would to a 30 y.o. with the same problem.

Shame I can't see a sympathetic smiley for Gromit.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:11 pm

Think I agree with Dave (dbroada) over ages but would pass a comment that Dave (gromit) doesn’t look his age and no he hasn’t bribed me to say that
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:54 pm

I'll sit on the fence. Knowing the age was a help in forming a rely but so many were obviously false that they had to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:51 pm

I too was happy to see age quoted. That why, when I post folk can make their minds up on whether my post is influenced by me senility! I am not ashamed of my age!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks for the feedback those who've commented.

I've never understood comments by members objecting to their age being shown, and even more bemused by those who think it can somehow be a security risk.

The hole purpose of this feature was to allow others to communicate better with someone based on their age group. it's not an uncommon feature of most forums.

Everything has been fine apart from the odd comment over the years, but more recently members have been giving false ages and many have sent me PM's asking why it's necessary and objecting as well as comments posted on the forum, hence my reason for removing this feature.

I would happily reinstate this feature but if members are going to make up ages and not comply then I can't really see the point. This feature helped our security if anything as it drew our attention to certain non genuine members.

If enough of you feel it should be reinstated then comment here, otherwise it will stay as it is.

Regards

Ed

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:23 pm

I don't see why it would be a security risk and agree it can be helpful; it's especially pleasing when we see younger members enjoying our hobby.

Why not reinstate it for those of us who don't mind but allow those who do object to flag this by entering an obviously wrong DoB such as 1900?

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:34 pm

I would like it to be reinstated.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi wave

I'd like it to be reinstated as well. up!
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by dbroada Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:45 pm

I prefer to see ages as it does influence the answer I would give.

Is it possible to make it optional? "Prefer not to say" is far more useful than some of the dubious ages we see.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:03 pm

dbroada wrote:I prefer to see ages as it does influence the answer I would give.

Is it possible to make it optional? "Prefer not to say" is far more useful than some of the dubious ages we see.

I will look into wether or not we can make it optional, this may be an option if available to us.

If others object still or would like it reinstated then leave a comment.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:25 pm

Reinstated please can't see any security threat you get more information about a person on the net electoral roll and what have ya.
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:43 pm

It could be reinstated and the member is given the option of having it displayed or not.    For instance on another forum I don’t get a birthday message as on there I choose not to disclose my age
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:55 pm

roli wrote:It could be reinstated and the member is given the option of having it displayed or not.    For instance on another forum I don’t get a birthday message as on there I choose not to disclose my age
That sounds the most sensible option Roger, and presumably acceptable to everyone.

Either that or just leave it blank . . . as a number of members do already with potentially useful aspects of their vehicle data.  shrugg
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:08 pm

Since vehicle year is optional I would hope that "owner year" would be as well.  I like age to be there - owner and vehicle!

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper : Lancashire

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyRoyd Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:21 pm

I would also like the age to be reinstated, it helps to give a fuller picture of the person you are talking to and agree that it should be optional whether it is shown or not.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EKTBLP

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:44 pm

I'm with the yes, please reinstate age.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by Askit Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:57 pm

I agree with the "yes" camp, those who want to keep it private could either not display (if that facility can be made available) or fabricate as some have done in the past  Whistle1

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Neuvo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by NORGIL Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:54 pm

Is it possible to reinstate the age whilst not having to enter the full date of birth, that would perhaps go a good way to reassure those concerned about a possible security risk while still showing how mature (in terms of years ! ) the member is.
NORGIL
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:59 pm

That is interesting , they are all males that want in reinstated   hugegrins

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by nuevoboy Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:32 pm

Maybe it's a male thing!
I'm aware that whenever nuevogirl mentions that she's met someone I don't know, , the first thing I always ask is "how old are they?"

Another male trait is this: if we're out cycling together and we pass another cyclist, nuevogirl can always describe what they looked like, whereas I can always tell her what bike they were riding.
nuevoboy
nuevoboy
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : None

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:01 am

Another yes here.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:02 am

I'm happy for my age to be displayed and would also like that reinstated, but as an optional field.

If that can't be done, then I suppose there'd be no harm in those that prefer their age displayed, adding it to their signature line.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next