The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dealer-part exchange.

+3
andygump
Dutto
Neuvosleeper
7 posters

Go down

Dealer-part exchange. Empty Dealer-part exchange.

Post by Neuvosleeper Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:47 pm

Whistle1 So how important is it that you have to hand your latest "habitation check" signed by a service engineer . Your full vehicle service history. The amount of previous owners. The type of "oil" in the sump and any major part replacement. Should you choose to purchase second hand from a private (intelligent/tidy) owner, all these questions should be answered plus the caravan furnishings/ fittings demonstrated if you need it. So is all this extra expense warranted by vehicles now capable of 200,000miles. Use it abuse it then sell it to a dealer, if you can bear to "think" like that. Now I feel better. Happy change over next spring. Best wishes, Brian. gimmefive
Neuvosleeper
Neuvosleeper

Male

Member Age : 87
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo 11
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Dealer-part exchange. Empty Re: Dealer-part exchange.

Post by Dutto Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:35 am

Hi there,

Not quite sure what the post is about!

As a person who dumps every receipt after it is paid and keeps almost no records I fail to see how I could prove anything that I have had done to "Petal" since we purchased her.

I think the old "caveat emptor" ("let the buyer beware") still applies in the UK; so when it comes to selling her I presume it is up to the buyer to check her out - just like I did.

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:50 am

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

Not quite sure what the post is about!

As a person who dumps every receipt after it is paid and keeps almost no records I fail to see how I could prove anything that I have had done to "Petal" since we purchased her.

I think the old "caveat emptor" ("let the buyer beware") still applies in the UK; so when it comes to selling her I presume it is up to the buyer to check her out - just like I did.

Best regards,

drinksallround

Absolutely rolleyes

Andy
andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:04 am

Talking of dealer part-exchange, I came across this Amethyst on Ebay. On the dealers forecourt at £23995, on offer as a 'trade' sale at £16000 on auction. Taken in part-ex. Is this the normal mark-up of a dealer - just under £8,000!? There is no reserve so if no bidders it could sell for the £16k and its a 2002. I can accept a profit margin of perhaps £3k/£4k with warrantee etc to cover but £8000! If it had been mine and I'd got £16k for it and then saw it for sale at £23995, I think I might be a bit miffed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:17 am

Neuvosleeper wrote: Whistle1 So how important is it that you have to hand your latest "habitation check" signed by a service engineer . Your full vehicle service history. The amount of previous owners. The type of "oil" in the sump and any major part replacement. Should you choose to purchase second hand from a private (intelligent/tidy) owner, all these questions should be answered plus the caravan furnishings/ fittings demonstrated if you need it. So is all this extra expense warranted by vehicles now capable of 200,000miles. Use it abuse it then sell it to a dealer, if you can bear to "think" like that. Now I feel better. Happy change over next spring. Best wishes, Brian. gimmefive

I think you need to lie in a darkened room for a few days Brian - there's a lot of negativity needing purged from your system.

I've read a few of your ramblings and really don't know what the root cause of your angst is.

Emerge from said darkened room on xmas eve and enjoy yourself drinksallround

Have a guid xmas and a healthy new year

Alan

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Ex Clubman Anniversa
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony F Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Paulmold wrote: If it had been mine and I'd got £16k for it and then saw it for sale at £23995, I think I might be a bit miffed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Miffed you might be, but there's not much to be done I guess.

We recently changed the wife's car for a newer model (no - listen carefully, I said "the wife's car... biggrin ). The dealer offered peanuts in p/x, so we negotiated a better "discount for cash" deal and put her old one up for sale on Ebay at a very realistic price. A dealer from the other end of the country tried to chip the price but we held firm and he paid £850 for it. It's now for sale in Essex for £1695!!! When he collected it, yes all the way from Essex, rather surprisingly he said that at this time of year "people in the North seem to want to sell their cars" and was collecting a couple more on his way back "darn sarf".

Miffed? I should say so!!! But we haven't the space to store an uninsured car whilst waiting for the right customer to come along so shrugg . Of course, just because he's asking that doesn't mean he'll get it...

Tony

Last edited by Tony F on Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Afterthought)
Tony F
Tony F

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk 6

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Tony

But you have sold it.........and he hasn't!!
Reminds me of a boot sale we did..........we sold all our stuff to what turned out to be other sellers.
Guess what, we went home with the cash and they still had our goods at inflated prices not sold

There must be a moral in the story somewhere!!!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Dealer-part exchange. Empty Habitation check--s

Post by Neuvosleeper Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:29 pm

Neuvosleeper wrote: Whistle1 So how important is it that you have to hand your latest "habitation check" signed by a service engineer . Your full vehicle service history. The amount of previous owners. The type of "oil" in the sump and any major part replacement. Should you choose to purchase second hand from a private (intelligent/tidy) owner, all these questions should be answered plus the caravan furnishings/ fittings demonstrated if you need it. So is all this extra expense warranted by vehicles now capable of 200,000miles. Use it abuse it then sell it to a dealer, if you can bear to "think" like that. Now I feel better. Happy change over next spring. Best wishes, Brian. gimmefive
Well I read it as about "habitation checks at great expense, and who ever needs them. Sorry Dutto, say no more I'l check my dustbin. Anyone else out there---know what I mean. Brian. tap_fingers
Neuvosleeper
Neuvosleeper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony F Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:32 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:Tony

But you have sold it.........and he hasn't!!
Reminds me of a boot sale we did..........we sold all our stuff to what turned out to be other sellers.
Guess what, we went home with the cash and they still had our goods at inflated prices not sold

There must be a moral in the story somewhere!!!

PB

Amen to that!

T agree3 ny
Tony F
Tony F

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper : Windsor on Mk 6

Back to top Go down

Dealer-part exchange. Empty Dealer-part exchange.

Post by Neuvosleeper Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:06 pm

Sad really Alan, I cant en-lighten your goodself , please feel free to re write my poorly worded ramblings, I was in a darkened room, within my habitation Dont lets worry too much its not perfect where I live. It's raining must pop out check the M/H for damp. quick_run quick_run
Neuvosleeper
Neuvosleeper

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:37 pm

Brian,

I didn't know what a "habitation check" was until August! (see relevant thread).

I have come to the conclusion that any reasonably intelligent person with DIY knowledge can carry out the checks on the Checklist provided by this Forum.

If, in the future, anyone (potential buyer or dealer) wants to carry out a "habitation check" prior to purchase then they may do so at their own expense.

Winding down for Christmas so have a good time.

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down