The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New twist on the Microsft virus calls?

5 posters

Go down

New twist on the Microsft virus calls? Empty New twist on the Microsft virus calls?

Post by boxerman Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am

I'm sure we've all had the 'your computer has a virus' calls allegedly from Microsoft.
It looks like they are trying to save on phone bills -I received this email this morning:

Hello!

It is Benedict Brown from Microsoft Security Office. The main obligation of my Department is to screen Internet activity of users, track data packages exchange, and validate requests transmitted from user devices. We are working diligently to make Internet yet more secure and more productive. In such a manner, we have to keep an eye on malicious software distributed on the Internet, and stay on guard of the Network defending it from any suspicious operations. Also, we analyze bank transactions processed through the online-banking facilities. Nowadays, most of malware is being engaged in operations of this kind. My personal job function is to contact and notify Internet users using their personal devices to make bank transactions on the Internet through online profiles. That is why, I am contacting you in such case. I am afraid there is an unwanted news. Our automated systems have discovered suspicious requests and data packages from your address when verifying and processing operations made with your checking accounts and cards.

What is that? Maybe your computer is infected with a virus or something that exploits the device when processing banking operations. It may cause truly bad consequences for your counteragents and even the security system of the bank you are working with. Our office is contracting with most banks throughout the world, so we are entitled to control security issues pertaining to transactions and other actions performed toward banking software and facilities. In your case, as I have mentioned, we have discovered the flow of suspicious data. This is the critical security problem that must be solved as soon as possible. That is why, we have to temporarily block your checking accounts and cards associated with them. What to do now? Surely, we care of your convenience and productivity. Thus, we have compiled the full report for you consisting of all relevant information concerning abovementioned suspicious data, and also the set of security tips for further application in order to unblock your assets.

The report may be downloaded from our official server here: http://agranfoundation.org/Microsoft.report.doc

Please review it at the earliest possible time. This is crucial information that may support you. Unless, you will have your assets - cards and checking accounts - permanently blocked in 5 days after informing you by sending this letter. Our duty is to support you, so please follow the recommendations in the file and preserve your assets from malicious data and blocking.
Thank you.

Best Regards,
Benedict Brown,
Microsoft Security Office

I only have one Windoze machine, and that has been switched off for over three weeks  smile!

BTW
Googling agranfoundation.org/ gives the first result as:
A GRAN FOUNDATION - CREATING OPPORTUNITIES THROUGH ...
agranfoundation.org/
This site may be hacked. [my emphasised]

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

New twist on the Microsft virus calls? Empty Re: New twist on the Microsft virus calls?

Post by Bobskate Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:25 am

That's worrying as most of these messages are written by somebody with a limited and sometimes strange use of English. This one is pretty good. I think I'll keep my money under the mattress and revert to snail mail.
Bobskate
Bobskate
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

New twist on the Microsft virus calls? Empty Re: New twist on the Microsft virus calls?

Post by dbroada Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:47 pm

I guess the writer got paid by the word. I didn't finish it although I did get as far as to know they have checked your checking accounts. Not being American, do they mean your bank accounts?

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by brodco Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:20 pm

Hi wave

Gets about a bit old “Benedict Brown” by the look of things.

It looks as if the “Microsoft Report” is the document is the document with the virus / malware attached and what they want you to open.
In this case it looks as if they have hacked a legitimate site. Here’s a report on a similar email from Benedict.

https://myonlinesecurity.co.uk/spoofed-microsoft-security-office-urgent-info-regarding-your-bank-assets-delivers-unknown-malware/

Bobskate wrote:That's worrying as most of these messages are written by somebody with a limited and sometimes strange use of English.

There is a school of thought that that is deliberate to attract the sort of person that may be more gullible than average.  They may well adjust the message to appeal to the “target” audience.

Brod
brodco
brodco
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul 300358 Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:11 pm

I have just deleted an email from the refugee helpline thanking me for my £152 donation, it had my correct name, email address and home phone number, it also had a link to their help line. It was very convincing!!

Paul
Paul 300358
Paul 300358
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper : Symbol

Back to top Go down