The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lillypad windblocker

2 posters

Go down

Lillypad windblocker Empty Lillypad windblocker

Post by Paramedic Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:14 am

I am sure you will agree that pegging down is most time spent putting up your wind blocker. Billowing and flapping in the breeze, assuring correct distance between pegs usually in a wiggly line and varying tension of fabric due to uneven ground? Then I have a more exacting method (can I blow my own trumpet?) that saves time and effort.

You will require;
Correct number of GARDMAN green plant sticks length 1.2 m
15mm plastic plumbing piping ( I found some in a skip)
Lubricating grease
Hacksaw
Ball of string (or other)

Method;
Standing directly under your awning where the transverse pole is positioned nearest to your van, imagine a vertical line down to the ground and push in tent peg. (My wife and I initially performed this on grass so as to reposition pegs if need be) 

Tie string to this peg than walk around legs of awning to opposite side, push in peg and tie off string. You now have a perfectly straight trace line in which to position pegs.

Initially cut ten 100mm lengths of piping. Grease ends of sticks and push into piping to join sticks together and lay along the front string line. You will most likely need to cut one stick to have correct overall length ensuring that both ends extend approximately 100mm either side of awning legs. Repeat the same for both ends so when laid on ground the ends extend 100mm either side of the two pegs and awning legs overlapping the front sticks. 

In the usual way, slide front panel onto awning and thread sticks along the elasticated loops. Initially the aim is to suspend the sticks about an inch above the ground. You will see that the weight of the sticks help to stabilize the bottom of the wind blocker. From inside bang in peg at centre and one near each end. There, with just three pegs you have achieved a straight horizontal line. You simply either raise or lower the front of awning to get the correct tension along entire length. Some adjustment to the position of lasticated loops may also be needed or depth of the pegs. You can now bang in extra pegs for more stability. Repeat same for the sides. Stand back and hopefully admire your work. Thereafter you can pitch on grass or hard standing with this technique to aid a quicker and less hassle erection of your wind blocker.

PS. My used Lilleypad wind blocker is still for sale. You may know someone who has shown interest or indeed can recommend this product to them. For details see my post in 'Forum Related Questions, Feedback & Suggestions' dated Thursday 28th Jan 2016.
Regards
Paramedic
Paramedic

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Lillypad windblocker Empty Re: Lillypad windblocker

Post by Paramedic Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:40 am

Oops, almost forgot. To gain entry, simply pull apart shortest of green sticks intentionally placed nearest to your van. This will act like a hinge suspended by the fabric then place under the peg again to 'close the door'. Hope all this makes sense.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:43 pm

Argh! my perfuse apologies for the confusion. Of course my Lillypad for sale should be in 'Miscellaneous items for sale /wanted posted 28th Jan 2016.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:52 pm

I saw Roli do this with canes years ago. I'm just as happy putting all the pegs in.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:21 pm

Sorry Peter,  thought I was the first to bring about this idea.
Regards

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:47 pm

No problem you should do that with any idea. I just posted to mention that it was a good idea but other methods of achieving it were available.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:53 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Here with image to clarify use of Gardman green plant sticks and 15mm domestic plumb pipe.
Paramedic
Paramedic

Male

Back to top Go down