The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Northern Spain - Winter trip

4 posters

Go down

Northern Spain - Winter trip Empty Northern Spain - Winter trip

Post by lucasg Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:17 pm

Hoping to tour Northern Spain during the winter season. Mixture of Pyrenees snow and lower landscapes and coasts
Tips gratefully received.
Thanks
lucasg
lucasg

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Northern Spain - Winter trip Empty Re: Northern Spain - Winter trip

Post by Quilter Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:00 am

This sounds a bit negative I'm afraid but our experience of Northern Spain in winter has been cold, wet, bleak and windy. It's not called " Green Spain" for nothing.  It's beautiful, the coast is wild and there are very many interesting places to visit - Santiago de Compostela, A Coruna, San Sebastian for example but, I would not do it again in January anyway.  I can't speak for the mountains as we have only seen them as we drove through. The main roads were kept clear, especially up to the ski resorts.

There were campsites and aires open lower down but generally deserted and many let us stay for free as they were not officially open. 

I hope others have had better experiences and we just hit a bad weather time. We did enjoy it but would have done so more if it hadn't been such grey and miserable weather.

My tip would be to take rain gear as well as your snow clothes !
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:40 pm

Blow to darned cold and wet. Benidorm was good last winter, but became frosty in early morning, warming as the day progressed (cold breeze tho') as December led to Xmas. 

We left on 7th January for Lagos, Southern Portugal. Mid Jan / early Feb we had a couple of wet days at Turiscampo and were told by other campers arriving it was freezing cold in Spain.

In 10 days, we go to Portsmouth, heading to Bilbao for Rio Formosa, Taviera, hoping for a repeat of fine Winter weather. Later we'll go again to Turiscampo, later we'll travel back to Bilbao via the west coast of Portugal. 

Enjoy your Winter holiday lucasg. Maybe see you in S.Portugal instead?

Regards, Barry.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:58 pm

stoneb wrote:Blow to darned cold and wet. Benidorm was good last winter, but became frosty in early morning, warming as the day progressed (cold breeze tho') as December led to Xmas. 

But Benidorm etc isn't in northern Spain where the OP wants to go.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by stoneb Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:14 pm

Thank you Quilter. Indeed, I am aware the OP talks of going to Northern Spain. I haven't made a mistake.

My post was to try to tempt lucasg to visit southern Spain instead, or southern Portugal, and to suggest he/she might enjoy the warmer climate available there.

I apologise to all concerned if I appear to be trying to misguide lucasg.

Best regards, Barry.
stoneb
stoneb

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Winchcombe

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:27 pm

stoneb wrote:Thank you Quilter. Indeed, I am aware the OP talks of going to Northern Spain. I haven't made a mistake.

My post was to try to tempt lucasg to visit southern Spain instead, or southern Portugal, and to suggest he/she might enjoy the warmer climate available there.

I apologise to all concerned if I appear to be trying to misguide lucasg.

Best regards, Barry.

Whoops ! Shows how easy it is to misunderstand Barry: sorry. I thought you were saying blow to my saying northern Spain was cold and wet as you'd been warm in Benidorm etc !  

You're right. My advice as well would be to head further south in winter and to visit the north in late Spring or early autumn.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:17 pm

Hi

Head for Torre del Mar.  I know its much further South, but from there it is feasable to ski in Seirra Nevada in a day, and enjoy the warmth in the evenings.

Cheers

Andy
andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down