The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas barbecue- any recommendations?

+4
Peterm
Peter Brown
Gromit
Pete Taylor
8 posters

Go down

Gas barbecue- any recommendations? Empty Gas barbecue- any recommendations?

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Aug 09, 2015 1:52 pm

I'm in the market for a small table-top gas barby- the sort that folds up into a tin box, pretty much like an attache case. Reading the reviews it seems that quality is variable and not seemingly price-dependent. Some views from the US re safety are actually worrying!

Has anyone here advice on what to consider and what to avoid? I really want a small unit- not one which merely closes up and has legs folded underneath... we have managed to fill our Stanton pretty much to capacity, so space is tight. Price? I'm not looking to pay more than £60; so that rules out the like of Weber but I really cannot justify spending loads on something which may not get used all that often.

Daft question (I always manage at least one)... presumably the gas-outlet on the side of the van is at regulated pressure and I merely need a flexi-pipe from the bayonet connection to the grill? This (if my surmise is correct) also rules out loads of barbies, which have a regulator attached. BBQ BBQ BBQ

Pete.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Gas barbecue- any recommendations? Empty Re: Gas barbecue- any recommendations?

Post by Gromit Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:21 pm

Hi Pete

First question, do you really want a barbecue?? (A thought to ponder, rather than a question.)

I ask because we've been through the lot in our time, and our van is the same size as yours, and just as full!!

We've decided not to bother any more. We now have one of those cheap single burner rings that runs off a little canister, and a cast iron griddle on top. We find this does what we want, and although it's clearly not a barbecue it takes up a heck of a lot less room, and perhaps even more importantly when in "idle" mode on holiday, it's dead easy to clean.

If you decide to go ahead, the one we found most useful is here > > [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] but it appears to be unavailable now!

Well - not entirely, since ours has only been used about three times, and it could go to a good home for little more than twice what it's worth! lol4

Are you going to the Malvern Show?

Dave

P.S. You are correct about the outside gas tap. It is regulated.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:36 pm

We've had one of the above for years. It comes in a nice carry case (pic top left). You put water in the bowl and it catches the grease making it easy to clean. Under the plate top is a conventional pan stand. An area of the griddle is flat so you can fry eggs on it as well.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:24 pm

Go to any outdoor shop and you can get one of the single burner/cassette in a box type for a tenner. At which price reliability is not an issue, although I have never seen one go wrong.
Don't buy a fancy pan. A standard medium nonstick frying pan does everything, including fry eggs, which a griddle won't do. 

Regards

Peterm
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:28 pm

I gather you didn't read my post Peter.... eggs....

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:39 pm

He didn't read mine either Peter.

I shall sulk for days now - proper upset I am! so_sad

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peterm Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:50 pm

Tut tut, Peter.

What you pointed us to on the no tax Amazon is a more expensive grill pan, which indeed has a flat area for warming up you hot water bottle if you wish( it saves them making a terrible mess of the oven). However that grill pan comprises a fixed part of the contraption, so is not applicable to the stove I recommended. 
I am in the garden with the Times and a bottle of pino. Hope that is your excuse as well.
Anyhow, when the rallies had raffles I managed to win two different types of griddle. The first had no flat top, just ridges and grooves. The second had a flatish area which was unfortunately slightly concave, and would not fry an egg.
Why mess about? Go to the Pound shop and buy a frying pan. You can even make an unusual poached egg with water in it if you have an aversion to fat.

Grommit,
I did indeed read your post, but as I find just one recommendation two short of reliable, I was backing you up.
Is this some kind of mob behaviour?

Last edited by Peterm on Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peterm
Peterm
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Nuevo ES

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:55 pm

I have to say I've been looking for an excuse to buy one of those single burner things for a couple of years now as they are very versatile, and the gas is readily available and cheap but I do like my little BBQ as well.

PS I try to keep the Pino till after 5 ....Oh look at the time, not long now!!!

Last edited by Peter Brown on Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : PS added)

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:05 pm

Since you mentioned you have an external BBQ point I'm not sure why you'd want a Camping Gaz product that needs expensive cannisters; also you did ask about a BBQ not a gas ring with a griddle plate, so I'll try to answer your original questions rather than try to dissuade you from what you want as others have done.
   rolleyes    winks

I don't think there's anything that substitutes the taste of food cooked in a hot, smoky barbie, albeit the purists will say it needs to be charcoal not gas!

I can't remember the make of ours but will check in a day or two when I have access to it. It's our second one, the first was rubbish with click in legs that meant two people were required to assemble it, whereas the current one has hinged legs that swivel down into place very easily.

However if you're searching for one meanwhile, I would recommend you buy one with some sort of wave-grill system (like a wave-shaped metal plate with slots that goes above the burner bar) rather than one with imitation coals or lava as these are a real pain to set out each time.  

If your BBQ point is like the one I fitted:

then if fitted properly  it should be tee'd in after the regulator so as you say you don't need a BBQ with a regulator.  You will however probably need an adaptor for the end of your rubber tubing, to fit into the BBQ point:

this fits into the outlet point and the valve should not turn to the on position unless the correct adaptor is used and properly clicked in place.

I'll get back to you when I've tracked down our make/model.

cheers
Roger
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Charliefarlie Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:12 pm

We bought a Cadac Safari Chef. Its brilliant ! Without doubt the best purchase we have made so far ! 
Very compact and has 5 cooking surfaces and packs away into a canvas bag...

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper : Kemerton
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:26 pm

Swear by my Cadac Carri-Chef connected directly to an external gas point.  Expensive but had it, and used it, for over 10 years.  With the accessories, there is nothing that cannot be cooked outdoors, splattering away, without making a mess in the van.  Also uses less gas than cooking inside.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:33 pm

rogerblack wrote: so I'll try to answer your original questions rather than try to dissuade you from what you want as others have done.
   rolleyes    winks
Roger
That's obviously aimed at me Roger, and a bit unfair when I was careful to say, "A thought to ponder rather than a question." largely in response to Pete's comment when he said, "we have managed to fill our Stanton pretty much to capacity, so space is tight."

I did also answer his question with a recommendation, albeit when I looked for a link for him I discovered that it seems to be no longer available (and probably bigger than he would want).

Are we not allowed to offer alternative suggestions when it appears they might help to solve Pete's storage problem, and save a lot of cash into the bargain?

Dave smile!

Last edited by Gromit on Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:51 pm

Hi there,

We have a "Le Cube" gas bottle for France and have used one of these regularly for the last twelve years.

It's incredibly versatile as it can be used as a gas ring, a barbecue, a raised "fat-free" griddle or a flat griddle for crêpes; and it comes with a regulator and waterproof cover that covers the BBQ and the bottle.

The gas bottle itself is very lightweight and relatively cheap to replace .... allthumbz

.... unfortunately, I think you have to be in France to do so! tap_fingers tap_fingers tap_fingers

I'm not aware of anything similar in the UK but if there is I would definitely recommend it! look here look here look here

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:53 pm

Gromit wrote:
rogerblack wrote: so I'll try to answer your original questions rather than try to dissuade you from what you want as others have done.
   rolleyes    winks
Roger
That's obviously aimed at me Roger, and a bit unfair when I was careful to say, "A thought to ponder rather than a question." largely in response to Pete's comment when he said, "we have managed to fill our Stanton pretty much to capacity, so space is tight."

I did also answer his question with a recommendation, albeit when I looked for a link for him I discovered that it seems to be no longer available (and probably bigger than he would want).

Are we not allowed to offer alternative suggestions when it appears they might help to solve Pete's storage problem, and save a lot of cash into the bargain?

Dave smile!
Sorry, Dave, I didn't mean to offend - I couldn't find an emoticon with a tongue pushed firmly into a cheek so thought I'd used the nearest to make that point, sincere apologies if it wasn't clear.

oh_blast!

Anyway, I thought you were already sulking . . .

innocent

cheers
Roger, the BBQ advocate
BBQ
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:17 pm

I MAY find it in my (overly generous) heart to forgive you Roger - one day!! Whistle1  I thought it was very unlike you to throw a strop!

Copious quantities of ale could expedite the forgiveness. Are you going to the Malvern Show? It would be good to meet up and have a natter.

Dave smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:45 pm

Gromit wrote:I MAY find it in my (overly generous) heart to forgive you Roger - one day!! Whistle1  I thought it was very unlike you to throw a strop!

Copious quantities of ale could expedite the forgiveness. Are you going to the Malvern Show? It would be good to meet up and have a natter.

Dave smile!

Thanks - much as I'd love to lubricate your larynx with some alcoholic beverage, Dave, we are up in Bonny Scotland for the summer and over the Malvern show dates I'll be enjoying various weird but enjoyable delights of the Edinburgh Fringe.

Maybe there'll be another chance to get together for a natter sometime, meanwhile 

blushes
apologies to Pete the OP for hijacking his   BBQ thread.

cheers
Roger
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:24 pm

Last hijack I promise Pete, but try chicken stuffed with haggis if you get the chance Roger.

We ordered with some trepidation when it was offered at the Golf Club next door to the C&CC site in Rosemarkie, but it was absolutely delicious.

Dave up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Gas barbecue- any recommendations? Empty Sorry again, Pete!

Post by rogerblack Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:19 pm

Gromit wrote:Last hijack I promise Pete, but try chicken stuffed with haggis if you get the chance Roger.

We ordered with some trepidation when it was offered at the Golf Club next door to the C&CC site in Rosemarkie, but it was absolutely delicious.

Dave up!

Heresy!  Spoiling good haggis by wrapping chicken around it   covermyeyes

Only kidding, I have had it before and enjoyed it - usually appears on the menu as Balmoral Chicken.

And (just to keep the thread vaguely in topic) it could probably be cooked on a BBQ!
 BBQ

When were you at Rosemarkie?  We were there a few weeks ago for five nights, it's one of our favourite UK sites.  
We looked at the Golf Club menu and intended going but never got around to it as we'd stocked the fridge up at M&S on the way.

(Sorry, Pete!)

cheers
Roger
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:51 am

I have just finished a grilled breakfast of eggs, bacon and sausage on our Cadac safari chef, nice and neat, fits under the seat or in the rear carry box.

Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:44 pm

Gromit wins the prize for actually answering the question which was asked! up!

And... drifting off my own thread- we were at Rosemarkie back in May and had a lovely meal on my birthday just five minutes walk along the shore at the Crofters Bistro:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:27 pm

Did I Pete?? That's a surprise.

My address is on the way, so you can send the cheque. lol4

We were at Rosemarkie last year, but the Crofter's Bistro was fully booked. Didn't matter though, since (as I said) we had a lovely chicken-stuffed-with-haggis meal at the golf club. No alcohol though - had to be a member to buy beer.

Lovely site, we shall go back I think.

Dave up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:39 pm

Finally plumped for the Cadac Safari Chef; after reading all sorts of reviews about all types of devices... my wife simply told me which one to get, so that was that! Whistle1
It arrived today and seems well made; will be putting it to the test in the next couple of weeks in Cornwall and the S/W.

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:54 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:Finally plumped for the Cadac Safari Chef; after reading all sorts of reviews about all types of devices... my wife simply told me which one to get, so that was that! Whistle1
It arrived today and seems well made; will be putting it to the test in the next couple of weeks in Cornwall and the S/W.
Nice one Pete, I have mine with me up here in Whitby, hope to cook up a nice steak on Friday.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:54 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:
Pete Taylor wrote:Finally plumped for the Cadac Safari Chef; after reading all sorts of reviews about all types of devices... my wife simply told me which one to get, so that was that! Whistle1
Nice one Pete, I have mine with me up here in Whitby, hope to cook up a nice steak on Friday.
Boaby
As it happens, we are free on Friday, we can be in Whitby in a couple of hours- I prefer my steak really well-done...  BBQ

Pete.

Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:46 am

BBQ Hi Pete
You'll need to bring a couple of steaks , as I'm down to my last two,
We have gale force winds at the moment with real stormy seas, not much chance of getting the Barby out today .
Boaby.
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down