The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sargent VLM5 module and lighting board

4 posters

Go down

VLM5 - Sargent VLM5 module and lighting board Empty Sargent VLM5 module and lighting board

Post by Guest Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:52 pm

I've added a 13pin towing socket to use with a lighting board on cycle rack. I checked out the instructions from Sargent regarding initial connection and setup of the lighting board with the VLM5 module. My board does not seem to go through the learning process that Sargent refer to. When I start the engine all of the lights work normally, including the lighting board but when I turn on the turn indicators the dashboard lights flash rapidly and I  get a warning message to check the bulbs. The vehicle lights are led and the lighting board are filament. I'm waiting for a response from Sargent support, but in the meantime can anyone suggest anything.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

VLM5 - Sargent VLM5 module and lighting board Empty Re: Sargent VLM5 module and lighting board

Post by Caraman Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:38 pm

Out of interest are you using the Sargent provided 13pin cable which comes with the VLM5 plugs or have you made up your own cable that just provides lighting board lights?  Other than the quick flashing and warning message does it all work?  It might be that the fault corrects itself.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

VLM5 - Sargent VLM5 module and lighting board Empty Re: Sargent VLM5 module and lighting board

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2020 12:50 pm

I've made up my own lead and I'm only using the light board wiring. Went 13 pin to get reversing lights
Everything works normally except the quick flashing on the dashboard and the warning message
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Flyingv58 wrote:The vehicle lights are led

(Sorry, don't know the original base vehicle spec) Were the vehicle lights LED from the factory?
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:23 pm

2018 Broadway,  boxer base. LED from factory
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:21 pm

I also have the DIY version with filament bulbs on the lighting board.  The only difference between yours and mine seems to be the reversing light which I don't have and the 13 pin socket.  I haven't needed to use mine over the winter but it always worked properly when I used it last year.  I did experience the odd message and fast flashing on the dash but it always seemed to clear itself so I didn't take much notice of it and it certainly wasn't a problem.  If you've got good contacts at the VLM5 end there isn't much that can go wrong.  It's not exactly scientific but may I suggest you use it on a trip and see if anything changes.  Marconi might comment as I know he uses his all the time.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:55 pm

I think I'll probably try that. The Sargent stuff seems to be a bit weird when interacting with the base vehicle electrics. The body control module packed in on my van last year and when I got this replaced I was getting rear light bulb failure warnings all the time. The dealer replaced the VLM5 and the warnings still came up. I eventually cleared them by unplugging the VLM5, starting the engine. This seemed to reset the canbus system. I then plugged in the VLM5 and everything was fine. Sometimes new technology can be frustrating.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

VLM5 - Sargent VLM5 module and lighting board Empty Re: Sargent VLM5 and Lighting Board

Post by marconi Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:33 pm

Flyingv58 wrote:I think I'll probably try that. The Sargent stuff seems to be a bit weird when interacting with the base vehicle electrics. The body control module packed in on my van last year and when I got this replaced I was getting rear light bulb failure warnings all the time. The dealer replaced the VLM5 and the warnings still came up. I eventually cleared them by unplugging the VLM5, starting the engine. This seemed to reset the canbus system. I then plugged in the VLM5 and everything was fine. Sometimes new technology can be frustrating.

Correction modern technology IS frustrating all the time.  smile! It's  regularly  almost there but full of bugs.

The only learning / confirmation process that I notice is one flick of the indicators on occasions, even when locking with the remote.
The only time I see rapid flashing is if the cab doors are not fully closed.
If the dash is saying check bulbs try doing so with the engine running, ie left and right indicate then turn off the ignition see if that clears it.
I often get 'check parking light' so I do just that with engine running lights on then off, turn off ignition and turn on the side lights and off again. The thing gets a bit confused if you turn off the ignition with the lights on.

Your set up sounds fine incandescent bulbs on the board, LEDs on the van is catered for but Sargent say LED board lights may play up.
They also mentioned a software update they had for some problems if they are encountered.

Otherwise can you check that the indicators have a good earth path and that the bulbs are correct  rating, maybe someone put the wrong bulbs in and the BUS may detect a incorrect load.
marconi
marconi

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyCP Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:51 pm

Hi just read this thread whilst researching about adding a 13pin socket for a trailer board on my 2019 Nuevo. Has anyone found anywhere that will supply the 9 pin plug for the VLM5 unit trailer lights output?
AndyCP
AndyCP

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:06 pm

It's called a 9 way 'Mate N Lok' plug.

Cheap as chips and plenty of sources on-line:

https://www.12voltplanet.co.uk/mate-n-lok-universal-connector-pair-9-way.html

This 3 page thread might help you:

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t29673-bike-rack?highlight=rear+bike+rack
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AndyCP Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:30 pm

Thanks just ordered 9 pin plugs
AndyCP
AndyCP

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo

Back to top Go down